Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Gang Green Nation: Anatomy of a Winner - Baltimore Ravens

Nice article here from the Jets SB Nation...

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/...ltimore-ravens

Re: Gang Green Nation: Anatomy of a Winner - Baltimore Ravens

I read this, too. Very high praise from an opponent.

Blog Entries

What a great article. Nice find.

Nice read and his overall points are good, although the author seems unaware that Flacco was an unexpected starter primarily (and fortunately) because Troy Smith had a Wally Pipp moment.

Good articles (there is a link to one on Ozzie's use of the Compensatory system embedded in the article above).

One thing I will say though...there was no planned decision to start Flacco right away that first year. It was Troy Smith's job to lose, and he got sick, lost 25 lbs., and was (at the time) too weak to compete. By the time he'd recovered, it was clear that the NFL wasn't too big for Joe.

Good for us in the end, but that wasn't how the team had it planned.

Yeah...what bst said ^^

I had my response text open as I read the articles.

Was a really good article. In the past Ive been a proponent and scoffed at why we didnt subscribe to a scouting agency. Now it kinda makes sense as why not to, however I still say the most intel you can get is a good thing. At least youll know or have a better guess as to another teams board and maybe you wont get suckered that one time. Its still information and you gotta take it for what its worth. But now I at least understand where our scouts and Oz come from. We wanna make our own chart without outside influence.

I've mentioned it often in many of my previous threads, but Ravens Nation is very fortunate, i.e. we have the best run organization in all of the NFL, starting with the owner all the way down! Yes, I agonize and pontificate during the season after tough losses, just like all of us do; but, in the end, I would not trade anyone within this organization for any other individual - I trust completely in the decision making of Oz and company!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Man, what a great read that was!:respect
    We've all heard it too many times to count when Ozzie actually is heard from which in itself is a rarity.
    "The Process"
    Everything he talks about the words "We have a process" or "It's part of the process" come out of his mouth.

Even though they left out the part about Troy Smith beimng sick for the reason Flacco was inserted as the starter, the wholoe point was that they had enough confidence in their draft choice of him to give him the nod and not panic and get another scrap heap vet.
    Possibly could have used that part in the luck aspect of the article as well but nobody wants to look at a player getting hurt or sick as a fortunate incident.

Ultimately I think Art Modell deserves a lot of the credit for having the forsight and trust in Ozzie to make him the GM when they moved here, and having the trust in his decision and confidence in Ozzie to make the decisions even though it might have gone against what Art may have felt.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    Ultimately I think Art Modell deserves a lot of the credit for having the forsight and trust in Ozzie to make him the GM when they moved here, and having the trust in his decision and confidence in Ozzie to make the decisions even though it might have gone against what Art may have felt.
    Critical point. Can't have a GM with the long view unless you have an owner with foresight and patience, too. Exhibit A, Ravens; Exhibit B, Skins.

Quote Originally Posted by the fanatic View Post
    ultimately i think art modell deserves a lot of the credit for having the forsight and trust in ozzie to make him the gm when they moved here, and having the trust in his decision and confidence in ozzie to make the decisions even though it might have gone against what art may have felt.
    excellent, excellent point!!!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Blog Entries

Rosdaman posted it yesterday in the around the league thread, probably should have had its own thread (especially this time of year), so not complaining...

http://forum.russellstreetreport.com...089#post944089

But I am copying over to here what I responded with in that thread....

Agree but not so much mis-representation but lack of research/fact-checking
    Bollar got hurt Aug 16 in the Vikings pre-season game (shoulder) and was placed on IR Wed Sept 3rd 2008 ending his season.
    Troy Smith was to be the starter but got a severe case of tonsillitis (blood clot complication) and was hospitalized .... light workouts resumed Sept 16 but he had lost 20 pounds in the ordeal.
    Most called Smith's situation extremely unlucky.
    Unlucky for Smith....
    As much as the writer credits luck, luck, luck... he totally misses the fact that Flacco was forced to start and by the time Troy was ready, Joe had the reins and was never going to let go of them.

I'm not joining there to correct John B's ignorance ... anyone who has a log on and wants to take my info to correct him feel free and have fun
    Personally I believe in providence as opposed to luck YMMV
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old