Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Is Joe Flacco Elite? A Oral History

Ricky Proehl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Making 20 million a year, is the joke on people who bash him. Flacco says "frankly, I don't give a damn what the media says". LOL. Not many QBs in the nfl making that much only in his 5th year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    ... Flacco says "frankly, I don't give a damn what the media says".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ5ICXMC4xY

... Bc

I have engaged in the debate in the past with quite long narratives.

I think I am now able (at least at this point in time), to put it somewhat squarely and brief.

The book on Joe Flacco is not even half way written, lets talk again in 8 or 9 years.

That is all.

(the books on the ones you consider elite have been penned and published years ago, the ones that are still playing (except maybe Rodgers), are down to the last few chapters, some the last page.

What about Ben? IDK? I will likely get flamed for this, but I really see that team needing half rebuilding with near term caps too tight, and by the time it is rebuilt Ben will be gone. But again IDK.
    Last edited by alienstar; 05-22-2015 at 01:10 AM.

Blog Entries

This meme just further proves the dividing line between the golden boy qbs and the whipping boy qbs.

I see everyone on big bens nutsack lately. Yet no one mentions his shitty playoff stats. And the fact that the almighty big Ben didn't do shit in a home playoff game when his checkdown buddy leveon got hurt. All that YAC stat padding... Poof. Gone.

True hypocrisy.

Blog Entries

The reason this is a joke is because he made so many "experts" look downright silly.

And they need a way to deflect and diminish the egg on their faces.

Blog Entries

I still see the "he got hot for four games" thing too.

Yeah, and so fucking what?

I don't see anyone else doing what he did. All of these guys that are supposedly so much better, aren't doing what he did.

They act like it is easy. Like anyone can do it.

Again, just another way to deflect.

Blog Entries

Is it a coincidence that we never had such consistent playoff success before flacco?

Is it a coincidence castaways and journeymen like Jacoby and forsett breakout in Baltimore?

Is it a coincidence a guy like Steve smith has a career revival of sorts?

Gee that is a lot of coincidences.

Now, I can't exclude harbaughs contributions, for example in terms of special teams and such, and I give credit to Jacoby and forsett for helping themselves and making plays, but I also can't deny a common link at QB.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Is it a coincidence that we never had such consistent playoff success before flacco?

Is it a coincidence castaways and journeymen like Jacoby and forsett breakout in Baltimore?

Is it a coincidence a guy like Steve smith has a career revival of sorts?

Gee that is a lot of coincidences.

Now, I can't exclude harbaughs contributions, for example in terms of special teams and such, and I give credit to Jacoby and forsett for helping themselves and making plays, but I also can't deny a common link at QB.
    This.

I will say, it is a team game and a lot has to go right for the team to have sustained success like we have seen from the Ravens the last 7 seasons. That being said, the QB position is the single most important position on the field and why so many of them get paid the way they do. Flacco still has not played to his potential (beyond the 4 game stretch in early 2013), and I would love to see him get to work with some real weapons in the passing game and a consistent offensive coordinator. I think Marty Morninwheg and Mark Trestman COULD be a potent combination that will help him reach that next level given the talent they have assembled this year.

If there were no transaction costs, and every team in the NFL could swap their current starter for Joe Flacco, factoring existing contracts and performance, how many would say no? I'll assume it's for a single season and give the broadest possible justifiable list.

Atlanta (maybe)
    Carolina (maybe)
    Dallas (maybe)
    Denver
    Green Bay
    Indy
    New England
    New Orleans
    Pittsburgh
    San Diego (maybe)
    Seattle

And if you factor long-term, you have to expect that Denver, New England, New Orleans, and possibly Pittsburgh would fall off this list, because their current passers are pretty old/beat up.

So, what does elite mean? Can you win a Super Bowl with him? Proven, next question. Is he a top ten QB? The list above seems to indicate yes, though many would argue it. Is he a top five QB? Probably not. He might never be.

Ultimately it's meaningless, not because Joe Flacco is in doubt, but because the word elite is defined differently by everyone. All I know is, I'm glad he's our QB.

It's not a coincidence that the media still has a hard on for anything Ravens. Ravens are easy to talk about, they seem to annoy others when they continually are a force to be dealt with. Hope it stays like that for a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    This meme just further proves the dividing line between the golden boy qbs and the whipping boy qbs.

I see everyone on big bens nutsack lately. Yet no one mentions his shitty playoff stats. And the fact that the almighty big Ben didn't do shit in a home playoff game when his checkdown buddy leveon got hurt. All that YAC stat padding... Poof. Gone.

True hypocrisy.
    Funny way to say he is the the current "hot topic!" He did have a bad game. It seems the Ravens and Steelers just trade W's and L's with one another. If the pattern holds up, the Steelers win the first one next year and but lose the second. It will be their turn to win in the playoffs if that should that pattern continue.

Ben R. has struggled in the playoffs at times. But don't discount arguably one of the best SB drives in history against the Cardinals. That is what QB's are paid for. Flacco is certainly up there, but of course he has the opposite problem; he is criticized for his spotty regular season play but praised for his playoff acumen. Ebb and flow, ebb and flow. . . .

I would also add that Bell is not your typical "checkdown" RB, he runs routes as a receiver quite a bit. That does make me wonder about team by team checkdown sats.
    Last edited by Complex; 05-24-2015 at 09:12 PM.