Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Maxx Williams vs. Dennis Pitta vs. Todd Heap

I wasn't a Maxx Williams fan initially and since I was faced with havin to being one I thought I'd like to try to get a little excited about him. I figure the two best TEs we've drafted before would make good comparisons.
    There's not much Todd Heap college footage, but here's two plays from ASU:
    https://youtu.be/yrKhMvzmByk
    https://youtu.be/nNrX5r2xQMw

We see some athletic moves here with good body control. He was not the most athletic TE, but he had a great football IQ and was fearless and tough. Big soft hands and quick feet made him a dual threat.

Dennis Pitta:
    https://youtu.be/Ga1ln7L3qUw

I see Dallas Clark like receiving qualities: Good hands, low center, crisp slant routes, strong hands, great ball tracking. He intiates contact and often catching in double coverage and always seems to be falling forward.

Maxx Williams:
    https://youtu.be/3H0Gyzxy3sY

I've seen it written that he compares to Jermy Shockey. What I see in the highlites is Shockey-like in terms of running with the ball, but Shockey would blow defenders up or run them over. Williams is not that beastly, but he has surprising athleticism and agility. He also has the slowest 40 time of these TEs including Shockey. Great focus on the ball and good hands.

EDIT - Sorry, couldn't get the videos to embed - video option only made the links hypertext
    Last edited by Tenacious Faulker; 05-21-2015 at 04:38 PM.

Re: Maxx Williams vs. Dennis Pitta vs. Todd Heap

Prior to the draft I didnt like much of anythingabout Maxx tbh. His 40 time and other measurables were meh. What brought me around was all the experts saying the kid is a flat out football player. Not flashy anywhere but he can just play like he was born just to do it. Given Trestmans system I think hes gonna put up pretty good numbers even as a rook. After all Bennett in Chicago isnt anything all that but he got the most out of him. Maxx will be better.

Blog Entries

I'm not that concerned about measurables. Frank Wycheck was a "meh" guy when it came to measurables, but his first year in the league in the Redskins training camp and preseason every time he touched the ball it seemed like he gained 15 yards. Turner ending up cutting him after two seasons, saying he wasn't fast enough to be a fullback or big enough to be a tight end. He had a very nice career with the Titans.

Wycheck is among those players I think show that the most important thing in the NFL today is coaching. Do you have a coaching staff who can get the most out of the players as a team, or do you have one that can only win if you get them the players?

Quote Originally Posted by RavensZ06 View Post
    Prior to the draft I didnt like much of anythingabout Maxx tbh. His 40 time and other measurables were meh. What brought me around was all the experts saying the kid is a flat out football player. Not flashy anywhere but he can just play like he was born just to do it. Given Trestmans system I think hes gonna put up pretty good numbers even as a rook. After all Bennett in Chicago isnt anything all that but he got the most out of him. Maxx will be better.
    yea bennett was a no one with eli either

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    You're right, he's a compete disgrace to the tradition of excellent Giants Tight Ends.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Think you misunderstood. He isnt Gates, or Davis or one of those TEs that blows away measurables and screams greatness. He just is a football player. Like Maxx.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensZ06 View Post
    Think you misunderstood. He isnt Gates, or Davis or one of those TEs that blows away measurables and screams greatness. He just is a football player. Like Maxx.
    I don;t see a whole lot of greatness in Williams in terms of his measureables either (which is why I started the thread). The unmeasureables like his mentality and football IQ could be the differnce maker.

Wycheck was out to prove that he could comepte even though he didn;t fit the mold of a tradition TE/FB at the time. He just wanted to play football.

Tony Gonzalez had that all-around-athlete background with great ball skills learned in b-ball. No wonder he wass a 13th overall pick.

Todd Heap wasn't a special or flashy athlete though he was fairly athletic as far as TEs go. He just had a nose and hands for the game and was unafraid to go across the middle and initiate contact which ultimately was his undoing during the Boller years. If he had Peyton Manning he'd have been a monster and instant HOF'er given what PM did for Dallas Clark's career.

Jeremy Shockey possessed great athletic abilities to run routes and make crucial blocks. His brashness and smashmouth style made him an instant success. He was also smarter than people realize having been an honor roll student in HS. Like Heap, his style of play limited his career.

Gates, who never played a down of FB, ended up getting an unexpected opportunity as a UDFA in San Diego during the LT years. That coaching staff knew how to find talent and coach to it. He's the "Tom Brady of the TE's" imo.

Jason Witten wasn't a special athlete, but had experience as a DE in college and enough ball skills from playing HS basketball. Getting drafted the same season that Romo was signed was a boon, but his toughness learned from playing defense could've been great with almost any team.

Gronk and Graham are freaks of nature. Period.

Ed Dickson was an athletic freak with no head for the game. He got by on speed and size but was unreliable. Dennis Pitta however, wasn;t quite as physically gifted, but his dedication paid off and unseated Dickson as future starting TE. Fate would change that too and Daniels was brought in as a one year rental. To me, Heap, Pitta and Daniels were similar players - quiet, dedicated, reliable hads and routes and in that 250. 6-4/6-5 mold.

To me, Maxx Williams is another animal though., He has that fire of Shockey and Gronk, but he doesn;t make contact like they do which could extend his career. He has the measureables and balls skills of our last starting 3 TE's even Dallas Clark to some extent in his early years.
    Last edited by Tenacious Faulker; 05-22-2015 at 11:53 AM. Reason: add something

Max has zero NFL snaps. Can't compare him with two proven NFL caliber players. I hope he has a good back and hips. The majority of guys he played against have moved on to other jobs not the NFL. Come game day we'll see. IMO

Blog Entries

Maxx Williams is a real work in progress. He's very young and raw. This is the kind of guy who would have been drafted much higher if he stayed in school. 2 years from now I'm expecting to see a very different player than the one who we see in 2015

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Maxx Williams is a real work in progress. He's very young and raw. This is the kind of guy who would have been drafted much higher if he stayed in school. 2 years from now I'm expecting to see a very different player than the one who we see in 2015
    This is an excellent point. If Maxx had waited a year or two, he very likely would have been a sure-fire 1st round draft choice. He was already the #1 rated TE in 2015, but fell to mid-2nd round. Glad we've got him, but I think he may have gotten more $, plus another year of education (if that actually matters), if he had stayed in Minnesota... Bc

I'm not so sure of that. His stats took a hit in his final college season. There's not reason to think they could've slipped altogether in the next two seasons allowing another TE to overshadow him. Whether he declared for the NFL at the right time or not, I still think that Ozzie knows TE's so I'll give the kid the benefit of the doubt. No matter what he won't be an every down player in his first season, except if TE's drop like flies - knock on wood.

Blog Entries

I see a football player with potential to be just as good as any TE in the game. the only reason he got hate was his 40 time, which frankly was a lot slower than he plays and shouldnt have been a concern, imo (also was still one of the fastest this year, which means it could have been a slow field). Ive said it before and ill say it again, people are going to say "pitta who" when this kid starts. Hes better in just about every way right now, imo, and has potential to be even better. He has the mentality to be a star and get you the tough yards.

I think I also predicted that those bashing him prior to the draft would also change their tune once we drafted him. Pretty easy to call that one, most notably because there isnt much to not like when you watch his tape.
    -JAB