Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: OT: For all you wrestling fans.

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    They do this like every 5 years or so it seems...

Big show had a stint where he came out as a bunch of other former stars including hogan

Charlie Haas or whatever its spelled did it for a while

now these two ppl are doing it. I think the Axel guy is somehow related to Mr. Perfect, who was a great wrestler in the day, thats the saddest part.
    Axel is Joe Hennig. He's Curt Henning's, Mr. Perfect, son and Larry 'The Axe" Henning's grandson. He's just nowhere near the level of his dad or grandfather. He's like Ted Dibiase's kid and will probably end up the same way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Axel is Joe Hennig. He's Curt Henning's, Mr. Perfect, son and Larry 'The Axe" Henning's grandson. He's just nowhere near the level of his dad or grandfather. He's like Ted Dibiase's kid and will probably end up the same way.
    Who could possibly live up to Ted DiBiase to begin with?

And still one of the greatest wrestling themes of all time.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Who could possibly live up to Ted DiBiase to begin with?

And still one of the greatest wrestling themes of all time.
    Ted DiBiase was one of the best. He had no body to speak of but still got a huge push from McMahon. You have to be great for that to happen. He son looked the part but he was terrible. He had none of the skills or charisma of his father.

And Bray Wyatt and that horrible Bo Dallas are the sons of Mike Rotunda/IRS

Can't leave out Goldust and Stardust being the sons of Dusty Rhodes, but most non fans even know that.

I don't blame Axel for his crappy gimmicks. The writers are horrible now days. The days of the cartoony gimmick wrestlers are long gone and not getting over with the crowds anymore. Lack of real competition is what's really hurting wrestling these days. I can't bring myself to watch TNA anymore since Bichoff and Hogan came in and ruined it. I know it's all Dixie Carter's fault, but it got horrible rather quickly once those 2 came in. Jeff Jarrett's new Global Force Wrestling will be even worse than TNA if they can't bring in better talent that what they currently have listed on the roster. NXT is the closest competition to WWE, but WWE owns and operates it. lol Lucha Underground isn't getting the right Nationwide exposure to compete yet.

For me, there isn't that 1 or 2 wrestlers that make me want to tune in and watch every week. Cena is doing what he can to help carry the company. It's not his fault the younger guys are either crappy on the mic or just boring in the ring in general or not getting over with the crowd. The 2 that were the most over are gone. CM Punk quit and Daniel Bryan can't stay healthy enough to carry the show. J&J Security, Kane and the Big Slow are about as boring as can be as Authority goons. They never should have broken up the Shield as early as they did. Bray Wyatt keeps calling people out, only to lose to them at the PPV's (surprised he actually beat Ryback, who is also about as stale as it gets). I dvr RAW and skip Smackdown completely. I don't have the WWE Network either. There's just not that drawing power that used to be there about 10 years ago. I've been watching wrestling since I was around 7 years old. I guess I'm too old to enjoy it these days. lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    And Bray Wyatt and that horrible Bo Dallas are the sons of Mike Rotunda/IRS

Can't leave out Goldust and Stardust being the sons of Dusty Rhodes, but most non fans even know that.

I don't blame Axel for his crappy gimmicks. The writers are horrible now days. The days of the cartoony gimmick wrestlers are long gone and not getting over with the crowds anymore. Lack of real competition is what's really hurting wrestling these days. I can't bring myself to watch TNA anymore since Bichoff and Hogan came in and ruined it. I know it's all Dixie Carter's fault, but it got horrible rather quickly once those 2 came in. Jeff Jarrett's new Global Force Wrestling will be even worse than TNA if they can't bring in better talent that what they currently have listed on the roster. NXT is the closest competition to WWE, but WWE owns and operates it. lol Lucha Underground isn't getting the right Nationwide exposure to compete yet.

For me, there isn't that 1 or 2 wrestlers that make me want to tune in and watch every week. Cena is doing what he can to help carry the company. It's not his fault the younger guys are either crappy on the mic or just boring in the ring in general or not getting over with the crowd. The 2 that were the most over are gone. CM Punk quit and Daniel Bryan can't stay healthy enough to carry the show. J&J Security, Kane and the Big Slow are about as boring as can be as Authority goons. They never should have broken up the Shield as early as they did. Bray Wyatt keeps calling people out, only to lose to them at the PPV's (surprised he actually beat Ryback, who is also about as stale as it gets). I dvr RAW and skip Smackdown completely. I don't have the WWE Network either. There's just not that drawing power that used to be there about 10 years ago. I've been watching wrestling since I was around 7 years old. I guess I'm too old to enjoy it these days. lol
    Everything you describe as problems is the reason why Lucha Underground is so good. Even my little kids love it. My 5 year old doesn't like John Cena but he loves Fenix who I'm not sure can even speak English. He doesn't even have to because the international style they are using makes it so it doesn't have to to be bogged down with endless promos.

It's run by people who know how to tell stories, Robert Rodriguez and Mark Burnett. Those are guys with access to big money. 5 years from now this is going to be a real competitor to the WWE. 1 competitor isn't enough but it's a lot better than what they have now.

Everything you describe as problems is the reason why Lucha Underground is so good. Even my little kids love it. My 5 year old doesn't like John Cena but he loves Fenix who I'm not sure can even speak English. He doesn't even have to because the international style they are using makes it so it doesn't have to to be bogged down with endless promos.

It's run by people who know how to tell stories, Robert Rodriguez and Mark Burnett. Those are guys with access to big money. 5 years from now this is going to be a real competitor to the WWE. 1 competitor isn't enough but it's a lot better than what they have now.
    They just need better exposure. TNA was close to being a competitor at one point, before Hogan and Bischoff came in. Then they started overpaying WWE castoffs and things went down hill from there. They went from Spike TV which is a pretty big broadcasting station, to Destination America which I had never heard of before TNA was picked up by them. If Lucha Underground could land a good tv spot that could garner some National attention, they could be the ones that takes some viewers away from WWE. NXT isn't bad, but once they get the big call up to WWE, they change the characters that helped win the fans over, and they flop. That's either on Vince or the writers, but without any real competition, it doesn't really hurt them overall. They can just keep going with the same stale story line and characters they have now and fans will keep watching because there is no other main alternatives at the moment. The demand for WWE to put on a better product isn't there at the moment.

7. Re: OT: For all you wrestling fans.

Oldie but a goodie. Edge and Christian repping the Ravens right before the AFC Championship against Oakland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVAh...5U1PO4JGwvcr2A

Wait what? your kid doesn't like John Cena? I thought the modern day Cena was suppose to appeal to all kids LOL I do agree with you about Lucha Underground, with more time it will eventually become real competition for the WWE.

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    They do this like every 5 years or so it seems...

Big show had a stint where he came out as a bunch of other former stars including hogan

Charlie Haas or whatever its spelled did it for a while

now these two ppl are doing it. I think the Axel guy is somehow related to Mr. Perfect, who was a great wrestler in the day, thats the saddest part.
    Oh I know they've done these type of gimmicks before it's just that the WWE is so weak these days those gimmicks are worthless.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    They just need better exposure. TNA was close to being a competitor at one point, before Hogan and Bischoff came in. Then they started overpaying WWE castoffs and things went down hill from there. They went from Spike TV which is a pretty big broadcasting station, to Destination America which I had never heard of before TNA was picked up by them. If Lucha Underground could land a good tv spot that could garner some National attention, they could be the ones that takes some viewers away from WWE. NXT isn't bad, but once they get the big call up to WWE, they change the characters that helped win the fans over, and they flop. That's either on Vince or the writers, but without any real competition, it doesn't really hurt them overall. They can just keep going with the same stale story line and characters they have now and fans will keep watching because there is no other main alternatives at the moment. The demand for WWE to put on a better product isn't there at the moment.
    Since Lucha Underground is produced by the same guys who run the El Rey network I doubt it's going anywhere else. However, El Rey is growing quickly.

When Comcast bought NBC they were required by Congress, in other words pushed my Maxine Waters, to fund 4 new channels to represent culturally diverse people Not wanting it to have no ratings they gave the Hispanic channel to Robert Rodriguez. He wanted a channel that appealed to second and third generation Hispanic Americans who don't speak Spanish. The programming is classic horror movies, Shaw Brother Kung Fu movies, shows like Dark Angel and Miami Vice, their own original series about a soccer player who is also a spy and Lucha Underground wrestling.

Cable and satellite companies are able to add this channel and score brownie points from the government for promoting minority interest channels. That means it's getting added a lot quicker to cable systems than other new channels. Anyone who has it should definitely check it out. I saw restored versions Shaw Brothers Kung Fu movies that haven't been available in 25 years. It's really awesome. They're going to get more interesting original programming like Lucha Underground. As the channel grows the wrestling will grow. It will never be WWE but it will push them in time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SugarRay52 View Post
    Oh I know they've done these type of gimmicks before it's just that the WWE is so weak these days those gimmicks are worthless.
    What I wonder is if they have to pay Hulk Hogan a fee to use those gimmicks. That would really piss me off if I was him

What I wonder is if they have to pay Hulk Hogan a fee to use those gimmicks. That would really piss me off if I was him
    I would feel the same way, the WWE is kind of making a bit of a mockery of his and Macho Man's career with this Macho Mandow and Axelmania nonsense, I know it's not a major storyline but it's still a waste of time doing this gimmick.