Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Blog Entries

Re: Extra point proposals

I wish they wouldn't have changed it (even if it's temporary), but having a kicker like Tucker gives the Ravens an advantage. What's wrong with that? ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockDoctor View Post
    It is a small difference, no doubt about it. But, in my opinion, the difference SHOULD be somewhat small. The goal should be to cast some doubt on the play without changing the nature of the game too much. Ideally I'd like there to be more than a 5% or so difference, but there's still more drama than with the old conversion, and they very well might not be done tinkering with it yet.

And with that, I'm bowing out of this conversation. I'm not sure how many more ways I can come up with to basically say the same thing. Some people don't like the rule change, and that's fine, but the history of football is littered with rule changes. When you don't adapt and get too caught up in tradition, you get baseball -- a slowly dying sport that has waited far too long to address its issues.
    I don't think we are on opposite sides here. I'm not opposed to the change; I just think it's kind of dumb. It hasn't done much to change the 'boring' aspect of the extra point, but it has in some ways eliminated the element of surprise from it, no matter how small that element would be. The difference between 99% and 94% is maybe 1 or 2 missed extra points a year for a team. I'm not sure that's worth the change.

A better change would be to narrow the goal posts; if you want to reward accuracy and make the kick harder, that would do it. That would also make the field goal (not just the extra point) harder and more valuable, which is kind of where I was going with the extra point. Getting into the end zone should be worth more than the ability to drive the ball just inside the 40 two times and have a strong leg kicker.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    A better change would be to narrow the goal posts; if you want to reward accuracy and make the kick harder, that would do it. That would also make the field goal (not just the extra point) harder and more valuable, which is kind of where I was going with the extra point. Getting into the end zone should be worth more than the ability to drive the ball just inside the 40 two times and have a strong leg kicker.
    This is just speculation on my part, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the goal posts were to be narrowed a bit sometime within the near future (and I'd be OK with that). I don't think it would have affected extra points much though -- NFL kickers could still make that kick in their sleep, even with narrower posts.