Page 5 of 278 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: MiniCamp, OTA's, Training Camp Updates

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The thing I see with Marlon is that his positives are nice, but they don't "wow" you. At 6'5" 215lbs you'd really like to see the guy be able to work the outside and work the sideline, but he doesn't really do that. He's a decent slot receiver. He runs ok routes. He does a nice job running underneath stuff. He's also got decent hands.

However, he's just not a very dynamic athlete on the field. He can't elevate like you'd expect a 6'5" guy to. He doesn't accelerate and he doesn't have outstanding quickness.

I know we'd all love to see Marlon turn into a solid starting receiver, but when you lack that upside that comes with having elite size/speed combinations, you better be a 100%-technically sound player, which he's not.
    That's my point. Marlon has some positives but he's not above-avg at any one thing and I think that's makes it hard to be a consistent weapon.
    "A pessimist sees the difficult in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." – Winston Churchill

any chance SSSr loses a step (he's, what, 35?) and is odd man out? I hear a lot about mentoring but doubt they'd keep him around just for.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    any chance SSSr loses a step (he's, what, 35?) and is odd man out? I hear a lot about mentoring but doubt they'd keep him around just for.
    I can't see him getting released, so worst case for him would be a 3-4 step process of first rotating with <pick a guy> then getting minimal snaps all together then fading into oblivion.
    Worse case for Harbs is that we are indeed stuck with an overpriced mentor.
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 05-10-2015 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Cuz Senior doesn't play defense ...smh
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    he was one of the top WR prospects when he signed at Georgia. did he just not develop or the ACL really messed him up?
    Ernie Sims was the #1 recruit coming out of high school in 2003. Robert Meachem was a 5-star recruit.

Keep in mind that these are 17 and 18 year olds that have only competed against high school competition. Marlon was 6'5" 200lbs coming out of high school. I'd hope he was one of the top receivers in the country with that kind of height.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...on-Brown-62168

It is also entirely possible that his knee injuries took away some speed, agility, and explosiveness. That isn't out of the realm of possibilities.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    he was one of the top WR prospects when he signed at Georgia. did he just not develop or the ACL really messed him up?
    IMO, he never really developed b/c he had nagging injuries throughout.
    The ACL--as they do--put him on the canvas.

W/o the ACL, and with a good Combine, he probably would have been a 4th rounder at best.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
    I like Marlon but I don't understand why some fans think he can be this great player and 'light it on fire'. Sure he's tall and has good hands but he has no above-avg skills to distinguish him. He can't beat you deep like Torrey or Jacoby and he's not a great route runner like Mason or SSR so he has trouble getting open. He's not a physical receiver like Quan or SSR so he won't out-muscle DBs for contested passes. He's very good at making 10 yard receptions with no YAC but there are plenty of avg receivers in the league like that who get cut every year. He's no better than a 4th receiver in a GOOD WR rotation.
    I don't disagree really.
    I'm just of the thought that if he's going to make a stronger mark in the NFL, we'll hear about exactly how great he looks less than two weeks into camp.
    If he doesn't, and others improve/prove then Marlon may be at-risk.

@BigPlayReceiver

[QUOTE=rhapsody;940362]When is the trade coming - we have loads of WRs and TEs. If the Ravens feel Waller can become an ideal red zone threat then we should deal Marlon. Sooner rather than later, so we are not on the verge of having to just cut him. Kubiak needs a TE, trade him any Heap bro except Maxx, I say. Drive a good deal.

If we can't get a CB, at least we can improve our picks for 2016.[/QUOTE

Why trade a TE if all 3 are good enough to make the team?

Blog Entries

The trade market is fairly dead at present.
    Everybody is evaluating their hauls, and is figuring who will be released (vets) as high draft choices start making more expensive veterans expendable.
    Even then they don't trade (unless it is a very favorable contract) but wait for the inevitable cut.

We have seen the Ravens make a minor headscratching final cut/keep, and then seen the cut make the PS and realized that if we cut the other player he would have been grabbed (forgot the name but some years ago we kept an extra DT which surprised us)

Only trades I can recall are late round picks for players like Prescott Burgess (conditional 7th NE), Antwan Barnes, AQ Shipley Josh Wilson (conditional 5th to Seattle)
    Most picks happened late when a player who was not going to be cut was traded to make room for somebody else.
    We did trade early (May) for Shipley, but most trades happen very late with cut-downs looming ... very little activity this time of year
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

MiniCamp, OTA's, Training Camp Updates

[QUOTE=Mark;940482]
    Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    When is the trade coming - we have loads of WRs and TEs. If the Ravens feel Waller can become an ideal red zone threat then we should deal Marlon. Sooner rather than later, so we are not on the verge of having to just cut him. Kubiak needs a TE, trade him any Heap bro except Maxx, I say. Drive a good deal.

If we can't get a CB, at least we can improve our picks for 2016.[/QUOTE

Why trade a TE if all 3 are good enough to make the team?
    Maybe packaged Gillmore to Denver for One of their corners?

Ravens were apparently trying to trade for Tony Carter last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

[QUOTE=wickedsolo;940495]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

The Ravens shouldn't do that. Gillmore is a good tight end and it would be foolish to give him to the Ravens Week One opponent
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=wickedsolo;940495]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Tony Carter isn't any better than guys like Melvin. I doubt they offered much for him. I certainly wouldn't trade Gilmore for someone of that level.

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    Dismissing SSSr right now is not a wise thing to do, he maybe going on 36 but he's not done yet.