Page 4 of 278 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: MiniCamp, OTA's, Training Camp Updates

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    The mantra here would be, look to improve the team and drive a good deal. As it stands now, we are going to be saying goodbye to some good/promising players in August.
    There's not any team improvement that can be had by trading any of those guys away.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

You may well be right. We may have to be creative with the PS and IR to minimize loss. I am glad, at least, that Ozzie is looking for more good players.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I'm not dogging on Marlon; I like the guy and think he's a pretty decent receiver. However, two-thirds of his career receptions came two years ago when the Ravens had traded away Boldin and lost Pitta for the season. There weren't a lot of options for Joe to throw the ball to. His receptions were cut in half this past year and he was more often than not an after-thought in the offense. Add that to two big-bodied draft picks, a healthier Campanaro, the rise of Aiken, and the need for a kick returner, and Brown's spot is no guarantee.
    Two years past his ACL, Marlon is as healthy as he's ever been and there's no reason for him to not light it on fire (as best as he can) in August. If he has a shaky camp, and a couple of guys (not named Smith and Perriman) have very good camps and the corps is generally healthy, it would not surprise me to see Marlon moved...especially if we get a vet pass-catching TE in here.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Hawkins is a good comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The upside is that Carter was faaaaar more productive in school than Hawkins, who spent some time in the CFL.
    Carter has less to learn and the KR/PR and "small-slot" positions are wide open.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Two years past his ACL, Marlon is as healthy as he's ever been and there's no reason for him to not light it on fire (as best as he can) in August. If he has a shaky camp, and a couple of guys (not named Smith and Perriman) have very good camps and the corps is generally healthy, it would not surprise me to see Marlon moved...especially if we get a vet pass-catching TE in here.
    I like Marlon but I don't understand why some fans think he can be this great player and 'light it on fire'. Sure he's tall and has good hands but he has no above-avg skills to distinguish him. He can't beat you deep like Torrey or Jacoby and he's not a great route runner like Mason or SSR so he has trouble getting open. He's not a physical receiver like Quan or SSR so he won't out-muscle DBs for contested passes. He's very good at making 10 yard receptions with no YAC but there are plenty of avg receivers in the league like that who get cut every year. He's no better than a 4th receiver in a GOOD WR rotation.
    "A pessimist sees the difficult in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." – Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
    I like Marlon but I don't understand why some fans think he can be this great player and 'light it on fire'. Sure he's tall and has good hands but he has no above-avg skills to distinguish him. He can't beat you deep like Torrey or Jacoby and he's not a great route runner like Mason or SSR so he has trouble getting open. He's not a physical receiver like Quan or SSR so he won't out-muscle DBs for contested passes. He's very good at making 10 yard receptions with no YAC but there are plenty of avg receivers in the league like that who get cut every year. He's no better than a 4th receiver in a GOOD WR rotation.
    Obviously he has a lot to prove, but I'm in the camp with those who believe that Marlon will have a breakout year. He'll need to, with so much talent around.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMRaven View Post
    Obviously he has a lot to prove, but I'm in the camp with those who believe that Marlon will have a breakout year. He'll need to, with so much talent around.
    I think that's just wishful thinking. Unless he learned how to use his 6'5 frame to out-muscle smaller defenders, I think he'll be behind both Aiken & Camp.
    "A pessimist sees the difficult in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." – Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
    Totally disagree. Marlon has made lots of big plays for us. He is open frequently, makes lots of nice diving/jumping/contested catches, and is better after the catch than people realize. Just because he's 6'5" 215 doesn't mean he's the same as other receivers that size. I think he plays smaller (in a good way), he's fluid. I think he could absolutely be a #3 receiver on many NFL teams.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Raven View Post
    Totally disagree. Marlon has made lots of big plays for us. He is open frequently, makes lots of nice diving/jumping/contested catches, and is better after the catch than people realize. Just because he's 6'5" 215 doesn't mean he's the same as other receivers that size. I think he plays smaller (in a good way), he's fluid. I think he could absolutely be a #3 receiver on many NFL teams.
    Marlon flashed a lot last year. He was much more aggressive snatching the football. People on here conjectured that Sr.'s influence made Marlon more aggressive. I think he might have gained that physical element he was missing his rookie season. He might surprise....

By the way I'd speculate one of the reasons we got Carter was Sr. He really looks up to Sr. and tries to pattern his game/attitude after him. Our acquisition of Sr. continues to pay dividends.

Blog Entries

The thing I see with Marlon is that his positives are nice, but they don't "wow" you. At 6'5" 215lbs you'd really like to see the guy be able to work the outside and work the sideline, but he doesn't really do that. He's a decent slot receiver. He runs ok routes. He does a nice job running underneath stuff. He's also got decent hands.

However, he's just not a very dynamic athlete on the field. He can't elevate like you'd expect a 6'5" guy to. He doesn't accelerate and he doesn't have outstanding quickness.

I know we'd all love to see Marlon turn into a solid starting receiver, but when you lack that upside that comes with having elite size/speed combinations, you better be a 100%-technically sound player, which he's not.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The thing I see with Marlon is that his positives are nice, but they don't "wow" you. At 6'5" 215lbs you'd really like to see the guy be able to work the outside and work the sideline, but he doesn't really do that. He's a decent slot receiver. He runs ok routes. He does a nice job running underneath stuff. He's also got decent hands.

However, he's just not a very dynamic athlete on the field. He can't elevate like you'd expect a 6'5" guy to. He doesn't accelerate and he doesn't have outstanding quickness.

I know we'd all love to see Marlon turn into a solid starting receiver, but when you lack that upside that comes with having elite size/speed combinations, you better be a 100%-technically sound player, which he's not.
    he was one of the top WR prospects when he signed at Georgia. did he just not develop or the ACL really messed him up?