J Taylor vs Suggs

This could be a viable business decision for the Ravens next year. It appears Suggs will get one of the highest paid DE's next year. We may not want to pay that $. J Taylor will be a FA next year and should have several good years left (Like Trevor Price) for far less money. Taylor could be an OLB or DE. He is fast,strong, a leader and a quality guy. Please give thoughts as to why not?
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Re: J Taylor vs Suggs

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    This could be a viable business decision for the Ravens next year. It appears Suggs will get one of the highest paid DE's next year. We may not want to pay that $. J Taylor will be a FA next year and should have several good years left (Like Trevor Price) for far less money. Taylor could be an OLB or DE. He is fast,strong, a leader and a quality guy. Please give thoughts as to why not?
    No way.

I reject your premise that Taylor will get "far less money". Taylor is a media darling right now and his agent is Gary Wichard. He will go for the big bucks if the Dolphins dont put out when his contract is up. Also, Suggs has stated publicly that he wants to stay a Raven (much like C-Mac and Reed have done in the past).

In my opinion, Suggs is more talented anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    No way.

I reject your premise that Taylor will get "far less money". Taylor is a media darling right now and his agent is Gary Wichard. He will go for the big bucks if the Dolphins dont put out when his contract is up. Also, Suggs has stated publicly that he wants to stay a Raven (much like C-Mac and Reed have done in the past).

In my opinion, Suggs is more talented anyway.
    I was with you until the last statement. Taylor is probably THE BEST pure pass rusher in football. There are a couple others that should be mentioned with him, but Suggs is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I was with you until the last statement. Taylor is probably THE BEST pure pass rusher in football. There are a couple others that should be mentioned with him, but Suggs is not one of them.
    I agree with you if you look at it in the terms of them being in their prime. Taylor in his prime could not be stopped.

You underestimate Suggs' talent though. In Suggs 5 years in the league, he has 243 tackles and 41 sacks. With 11 years under his belt, Taylor has 423 tackles and 110 sacks.

So, Suggs is on pace to out tackle Taylor and to come very close to his sack total.

These other people who are better than Suggs are who exactly?

Taylor's been on a decline this year along with that entire Dolphins defensive unit. I saw him get owned in week one by Chris Samuels and Chris Cooley as well. I'd take Suggs in a heartbeat over Taylor in terms of building a team, he's got more miles on the clock and is only going to get better.

Merriman, Freeney, Vanden Bosch, Kampman, Burgess, Peppers, Pryce, Umenyora, Demarcus Ware... Shaun Phillips, KGB, and John Abraham are comparable...

Now all that said. Suggs is a great young player, whom I would keep in a heartbeat. I wouldn't pay him NEARLY Freeney money, but I want him on my team. He is a good-great Passrusher, that is now also good-great at stopping the run. With Pryce on the other side we are as strong as we need to be at DE... I jsut don't want to overpay him, and if he wants mroe then $27m up front, he should be getting that elsewhere. He is replaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Merriman, Freeney, Vanden Bosch, Kampman, Burgess, Peppers, Pryce, Umenyora, Demarcus Ware... Shaun Phillips, KGB, and John Abraham are comparable...

Now all that said. Suggs is a great young player, whom I would keep in a heartbeat. I wouldn't pay him NEARLY Freeney money, but I want him on my team. He is a good-great Passrusher, that is now also good-great at stopping the run. With Pryce on the other side we are as strong as we need to be at DE... I jsut don't want to overpay him, and if he wants mroe then $27m up front, he should be getting that elsewhere. He is replaceable.
    Saying he is replaceable is kind of my point. Taylor would be a good alternative for a few years. I think Suggs is going to look for Freeney money. And if the past is any indication....the The Ravens may let him walk and set his own market before trying to resign him.
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens