Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Dennis Pitta - Real Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    That dead money though. smh.
    Yeah. Which is why Pitta will be on PUP/IR this year. The team absolutely cannot afford to cut him or have him retire because of the cap penalty. So Pitts gets to have another year's salary as an incentive to not retire.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    :word

That's tough to eat. They didn't think that contract through very well in how they structured it.

Hindsight - 20/20.
    I would say they didnt think that contract through on terms of value very well either.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    the overwhelming consensus seems to be PUP list...

what if he isnt eligible. it only takes one practice to no longer be eligible. hes going to be 10 months removed when TC starts...

I think its highly likely that he practices, so its IR or hes on the team imo.
    Yep that is my take also

my only question is does he get the IR eligible to return or the IR gone for the year designation ... the way to determine that is camp practice
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Yep that is my take also

my only question is does he get the IR eligible to return or the IR gone for the year designation ... the way to determine that is camp practice
    Im assuming Maxx excels right away so Id think if they IR him before the season even starts theyd plan for him not returning at all. If Maxx struggles and TE is more questionable, maybe they do go with a designated to return.

Again, im not sure how easy it would be the designate him IR unless he re-injures himself in some way. I know theres always "phantom" injuries that are good for the player and the team, so I guess hed still fall under that scenario.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

imo, absolutely. Cap reasons are set. My problem is I think hes a waste of a roster spot. Carrying a 4th TE because hes completely unreliable vs an extra DB, DL or WR is an issue for me. Some player thats going to have a lot bigger impact on the future is going to get cut because of making room for a guy that I feel will never be the same and will be cut next year regardless.
    There won't be a roster issue if he's on PUP. Then when he's due to come off if he can't beat out one of the tight ends on the roster he'll go in IR which will again mean no roster issue.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    There won't be a roster issue if he's on PUP. Then when he's due to come off if he can't beat out one of the tight ends on the roster he'll go in IR which will again mean no roster issue.
    true, but im also of the opinion hes going to be practicing so PUP isnt an option. IR he doesnt take a spot either, but if hes practicing I believe he will end up on the team.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I could be wrong, but I looked on sportrac and his cap hit is $7.2 mill and if they released him it would count as about $6 mill in dead money. I split the difference. A 2016 Post-June 1st (now May 12th apparently) release saves them more, but then they have to keep his salary on the books until June 1st.
    It's $6.6M in dead money if released prior to June 1, 2016 (or May 12th if that is indeed the new date), so the savings is only $600K.

Or, it would be $5M if released after that date (whichever it is), but would still cause $2.2M in dead money in 2016 and $4.4M in 2017.

http://russellstreetreport.com/salar...tract-details/
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 05-04-2015 at 12:01 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

true, but im also of the opinion hes going to be practicing so PUP isnt an option. IR he doesnt take a spot either, but if hes practicing I believe he will end up on the team.
    He won't participate in practice until they are sure. He can do all the physical stuff on the sidelines, but won't get into practices during TC, IMO. Then, he'll go on PUP til after week 6. He then has 21 days to practice, while still on PUP, before they have to make a decision to activate him or shut him down.

So, unless they are 100% sure - of they decide it's make or break - then they aren't going to risk him in practice.

Again, im not sure how easy it would be the designate him IR unless he re-injures himself in some way. I know theres always "phantom" injuries that are good for the player and the team, so I guess hed still fall under that scenario.
    Players with injuries from prior years can go on IR. Obviously, in Pitta's case if that were to happen, it wouldn't be a phantom injury as he would have never actually recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    What are the cap ramifications if he voluntarily retires this year? Or in the alternative could they work out an injury settlement?
    If he retires, they don't owe him the guaranteed base salary of $4M, but still have to account for $8.8M in dead money against the Cap. That would be $2.2M more than he is presently set to count, so they would likely do a post-June 1 (May 12) release and take $2.2M of that this year (saving $4M this year) and $6.6M next year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    It's $6.6M in dead money if released prior to June 1, 2016 (or May 12th if that is indeed the new date), so the savings is only $600K.

Or, it would be $5M if after that date (whichever it is), but would still cause $2.2M in dead money in 2016 and $4.4M in 2017.

http://russellstreetreport.com/salar...tract-details/
    That's a lot of squeege.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

whatta fucking bullshit quandary

Quote Originally Posted by winnipegraven View Post
    whatta fucking bullshit quandary
    Teams need salary keep relief if a player retires due to injury or is suspended............I don't know what is so difficult about this idea.
    Way Down South in New Orleans