Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: The Javorius "Buck" Allen Thread

I think Allen is going to be a very solid contributor from the start. His ability to stop-start-accelerate is quite impressive. He does make guys look stupid with some of his quick cuts. Plus (a big plus) he is a legitimate threat out of the backfield.

He is the first USC player Ozzie has ever drafted, correct?

3. Re: The Javorius "Buck" Allen Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Two-time Pro Bowler and one-time All-Pro Le'Ron McClain was a "bust"?
    How soon they forget...

Allen seems like a solid pick. A Bernard Pierce without the injury concerns in the 4th?
    Sure, I'll take that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    He is the first USC player Ozzie has ever drafted, correct?
    AFAIK

there have been 9 USCal players drafted by Baltimore and they all were Colts
    George Achica 1983
    Al Bansavage 1961
    Larry Braziel 1979
    Ray Butler 1980
    Chris Foote 1980
    Ron Mix 1960
    Eric Scoggins 1981
    Jimmy Sears 1953
    Rod Sherman 1966

Buck Allen is the first Raven

Interesting, occurs to me there must be a really good scout functioning out west now
    We drafted Jensen from Colorado St -Pueblo last year, this year we sign a UDFA from there, and another UDFA from USCal, along with one from Sacramento St and BYU .... somebody was farming the west for the FO
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

I watched that video a few times and hyperbole be damned that guy looks awesome. I don't get how nobody was talking about this guy. It's not like you're hiding under a rock whe you're a USC running back. Those jump cuts and speed are freaky. I don't get the comparison to Pierce at all. This guy has breakaway speed and his cuts make people miss badly. Screw it. This guy will be a star playing with the Ravens scheme and players.

Blog Entries

I really like this pick

I dont see the Bernard Pierce comparisons at all

I think hes more of a Le'Veon Bell type of back

His vision and acceleration look excellent.Hes gonna have alot of success behind this line

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeak View Post
    I watched that video a few times and hyperbole be damned that guy looks awesome. I don't get how nobody was talking about this guy. It's not like you're hiding under a rock whe you're a USC running back. Those jump cuts and speed are freaky. I don't get the comparison to Pierce at all. This guy has breakaway speed and his cuts make people miss badly. Screw it. This guy will be a star playing with the Ravens scheme and players.
    I'm right there with you. This guy has the makings of a feature back. How in the world he was not heavily discussed before the draft is beyond me.

After seeing his nose for the endzone all I could think of was:

His name is Buck and he likes to Fu...Score.

Quote Originally Posted by GullyGill View Post
    I really like this pick

His vision and acceleration look excellent.Hes gonna have alot of success behind this line
    Yeah I don't see it either. They have similar frames but that's it. Allen's got patience and contributes to the passing game. Pierce never had those attributes
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Yeah I don't see it either. They have similar frames but that's it. Allen's got patience and contributes to the passing game. Pierce never had those attributes
    Agreed. Buck's vision plus ability to stop on a dime and hit full speed instantly bring a suddenness to his game that Pierce could only dream of. Also Buck's physical style was a best case scenario on a Pierce run.

If people haven't seen it yet, this is the highlight reel to watch: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iAHla2RbdsU

Quote Originally Posted by GullyGill View Post
    I really like this pick

I think there are some similarities in terms of size but Allen is a much better receiver than Pierce ever dreamed of being IMO

I also think that he is an excellent fit in terms of scheme. He is a one cut hit the hole guy who is a threat out of the backfield. Arian Foster is not a guy I look at as "supremely gifted and talented" but he is a very talented guy who is also a tremendous fit for the zone blocking scheme they run in Houston. In a similar vein, I think Allen is a perfect fit also, he should thrive here. Really happy with the pick. In some respects I think Allen may thrive here better than a few of the guys who went before him would have. His running style complements our blocking style.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

this guy has tremendous vision jamaal charles like. in the highlights that o line was opening huge holes.