Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens 3rd round pick (90th OV) Carl Davis, DT, Iowa

I think he realizes he has something to prove and that he is on a team with a legacy regarding defensive production. He says he wants to be mentioned with the Ray Lewis's, Ed Reed's, and Hiloti Ngata's when his career is finished. With the way they rotate guys on this DL, he won't have to worry about being fresh. Now he just has to live up to potential. Bottom line is he "made it" now he has to prove he is as good as he thinks he is.

Blog Entries

Him dropping into the 3rd round is probably a wake up call for the guy.

I think his motivation here will be getting to that second contract, which is good for the Ravens because he'll likely ball out on the field. I dont know that I'd keep him for a 2nd contract though. I'd get what I can out of him on his rookie deal when he's concerned about performing to get paid. Then, I'd let him go to some other team where he'll be overpaid and underperform.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

I think his motivation here will be getting to that second contract, which is good for the Ravens because he'll likely ball out on the field. I dont know that I'd keep him for a 2nd contract though. I'd get what I can out of him on his rookie deal when he's concerned about performing to get paid. Then, I'd let him go to some other team where he'll be overpaid and underperform.
    Which is probably exactly what he's going to do.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    He thought a scout team OL was going to injure him by taking a shot at his knees. I dont read that any other way than a guy that doesnt trust his teammates and feels theyre out to get him.
    Here is what was reported:
    He said he didn't try hard in practice because he was concerned that enthusiastic scout-team blockers would get him injured as they tried hard to move up the depth chart.
    I don't see anything about knees in that statement. He seems to be saying that he didn't go all out because he thought other guys (non-scholarship types - that is who is on the scout teams) would be going all out trying to prove themselves, so there was a bigger risk of injury if he wasn't in a "protect myself" mode. While that isn't a great attitude to have, it's a far cry from saying he thought his teammates would take shots at his knees. Also, I saw 'Rudy', and while those scout-team guys are teammates, they aren't usually dressing on game day. The only time they can prove themselves is in practice.

Blog Entries

(1) I think him dropping into the late 3rd round was good luck for the Ravens. He's my favorite draft pick in 2015, and I'm glad Ozzie pounced.
    (2) He likely has a chip on his shoulder due to his feeling he should have been chosen higher. That could work to the Ravens advantage.
    (3) wicked, Davis hasn't played one defensive snap for the Ravens and already you're posting about his 2nd contract? Let's hope the Ravens are forced to extend him after his 3rd season in Baltimore... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    (1) I think him dropping into the late 3rd round was good luck for the Ravens. He's my favorite draft pick in 2015, and I'm glad Ozzie pounced.
    (2) He likely has a chip on his shoulder due to his feeling he should have been chosen higher. That could work to the Ravens advantage.
    (3) wicked, Davis hasn't played one defensive snap for the Ravens and already you're posting about his 2nd contract? Let's hope the Ravens are forced to extend him after his 3rd season in Baltimore... Bc
    He does seem to have a chip but his comments seem a bit troubling to me. LIke a guy that maybe seems entitled and lacking humility. He has to prove himself if he wants respect. He has to earn it.
    -"You are about to enter a world of pain."

Too much idle speculation about the guy. Near as I can tell he was lectured by teams during the interview process to not be so honest. He committed the mortal sin of telling the truth about what was going on in some of his practice reps. Why hide the truth? People probably saw him not attacking during meaningless snaps. Protecting himself for his future also protects the team on game day if you know you're good. Sounds like It could be a lot of things including confidence.

8. Re: Ravens 3rd round pick (90th OV) Carl Davis, DT, Iowa

I was also pretty high on Davis but I did have concerns about his motor from reports. BUT, I think all of that was silenced at the Senior Bowl where he pretty much dominated in practice and created clogs in run lanes during the game. I'm not too worried. I think Brooks can make a believer and strong player out of him. If not of course it'll be see ya later kid.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    He thought a scout team OL was going to injure him by taking a shot at his knees. I dont read that any other way than a guy that doesnt trust his teammates and feels theyre out to get him. Thats a flawed mentality and makes practicing pretty worthless. He needs to get over that, quickly.

if he has motivation problems he probably wont be around that long. Hes good, but I dont think hes so naturally gifted that he can cruise by and be effective. plus Harbs wont stand for that kind of thing.
    It was in college and he was talking about some scrub walk ons. Alot of guys have said that they dont give their all in practices just for that reason. Why risk the NFL for some kid that wont even make the team. I dont have a problem with that. Shows some common sense even. Hes here in the Pros. Now if he continues a lax attitude than hell be gone. Harbs and Brooks wont allow that thiugh. This kid is gonna be good and a big part of the rotation this year.

This seems to be the teams MO on pass rushers. He'll be rotational/situational. The team will re-evaluate him as he develops and see in 4 years if they'll pay him to stay or not. Upshaw as a shot at this next year. It'll depend on whether he feels he wants to stay a Raven or get a major paycheck to make up for his perceived fall in the draft to the 3rd round (which cost him about $1M). Not sure why that happened but Ozzie is excellent at landing these guys and telling them they have soimething to prove now that the Ravens "saved" him from falling further.

He looks really good on film, but we'll see if he can contribute early and often. Very few are studly enough to be everydown players on our front defensive line.

Blog Entries

So what if he hasn't played a snap? Here we are talking about how the guy was (for lack of a better term) a part time player on the field while at Iowa. That's magically going to change now that he's a pro?

Probably not. My point was that - like sooooo many other players that have come and gone - if he hauls ass while on his rookie deal and then gets paid big bucks come his 2nd contract, he could easily revert back to being a part time player. At that point, what incentive would he have to go all out every snap he's on the field? If he's performed to the level that he's capable of, I'd imagine he could be one of the better DT's in the NFL at that point. Money is a big motivating factor for a lot of players and once they get that money (specifically the guaranteed money), it isn't a big thing for them to revert back to bad habits.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

So what if he hasn't played a snap? Here we are talking about how the guy was (for lack of a better term) a part time player on the field while at Iowa. That's magically going to change now that he's a pro?

Probably not. My point was that - like sooooo many other players that have come and gone - if he hauls ass while on his rookie deal and then gets paid big bucks come his 2nd contract, he could easily revert back to being a part time player. At that point, what incentive would he have to go all out every snap he's on the field? If he's performed to the level that he's capable of, I'd imagine he could be one of the better DT's in the NFL at that point. Money is a big motivating factor for a lot of players and once they get that money (specifically the guaranteed money), it isn't a big thing for them to revert back to bad habits.
    I think you're giving mixed messages here. You posted (#50) "I think his motivation here will be getting to that second contract, which is good for the Ravens because he'll likely ball out on the field." I agree and hope he exceeds expectations. Now you post "Here we are talking about how the guy was (for lack of a better term) a part time player on the field while at Iowa. That's magically going to change now that he's a pro? Probably not."
    Which is it? ... Bc