Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Freddie Gray

Re: Freddie Gray

Thinking that his ride to the station was physical and he didn't get the attention he neede right away at the station. Have heard stories from the past about Baltimore police upset with a person who ran away, went into a house to hide. Police found him in a sofa,they were all in close and several police wound up hurt by getting hit by other police. They all tried to hit this guy with their nightsticks and those hurt went to the hospital

City of Baltimore has been sued many times for bad police work and manhandling people. Sad this man died and I'm sure with the current climate of police brutality case going on, this story will get full exposure. Personally, it's not a race thing, police brutality happens to those that run, strike an officer, or disrespect the uniform. It has no color boundaries, those that can't seem to accept the fact that when a LEO has to get physical with a culprit, bad things can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by RustonRifle View Post

I don't think any would argue that it's a tragic end to a life.
    Pretty sure there are a lot of people that would argue this. We live in a country where many people have opinions (and an education level) like darb72, who, just two posts prior to yours, stated the following:

Career criminal with a "spring loaded one-handed" knife in his pocket runs from the cops and gets arrested. He dies after again wasting tax-payers money trying to extend a life that, quite frankly, was gonna amount to jack and shit. How is this news exactly?

Also, it's readily apparent that the Mayor of Baltimore is a democrat. First she panders by instantly blaming the cops with no evidence, and then says the guy carried an illegal weapon but that isn't a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by frankpembleton View Post
    Pretty sure there are a lot of people that would argue this. We live in a country where many people have opinions (and an education level) like darb72, who, just two posts prior to yours, stated the following:
    Let's review. Freddie has been in and out of jail on multiple charges since 2008. Freddie runs from the cops and the cops catch Freddie. Freddie has a dangerous concealed weapon. Freddie is now compost.

So a criminal with a dangerous weapon is dead, and I'm supposed to be sad or upset? Not going to happen.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

calling a switchblade a dangerous "one-hand operated" concealed weapon just seems funny to me. a very large portion of legal knives can be operated with one hand, and apparently its ok to conceal a fixed blade (non-bowie) which is ready immediately. Its a pretty dumb law, imo, but one none the less. Certainly not worth dying over, which he did, so now the question is how he did. just because the guy had a criminal history (i cant find anything on his history if youd like to post Darb72), doesnt mean he deserves to die for this. Im assuming if he was on the street whatever crime he did do previously, he served for and was a free man.

watching the video, I didnt really see anything that looked all that vicious in his arrest. the "without force" part I think is a little misleading as they clearly were holding him down. he had a little issue walking (the guy taping said they used a tazer) but overall seemed fine going into the van. a little later he has a severed spinal cord. thats not normal.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Career criminal with a "spring loaded one-handed" knife in his pocket runs from the cops and gets arrested. He dies after again wasting tax-payers money trying to extend a life that, quite frankly, was gonna amount to jack and shit. How is this news exactly?

Also, it's readily apparent that the Mayor of Baltimore is a democrat. First she panders by instantly blaming the cops with no evidence, and then says the guy carried an illegal weapon but that isn't a crime.

What we know: According to court documents CNN obtained, there were more than 20 criminal court cases in Maryland against Gray, and five of those cases were still active at the time of his death.

The cases involve mostly drug-related charges, but there are charges from March for second-degree assault and destruction of property.

Gray was due in court on a possession charge on April 24.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/22/us/bal...-what-we-know/

Did he deserve to die? Eh, probably not. Am I broken up about it at all? Hell no.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Probably not?

I love how you abandon due process with such whimsey.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The only knives that are illegal in MD are switchblades and gravity blades. When I am back east, I always carry my karambit since the state still has some backwards concealed carry laws.

So I am also assuming he had one of those two knives in his possession. If he didn't, they're going to have a hard time explaining why he was arrested in the first place.
    How would they even know what he had though, you know?

If he ran unprovoked and the cops weren't looking for him, yea, they might find that strange and take a mental note, but it seems to me that they would have more pertinent things to do. My guess is someone called something in and Freddie Gray matched the description. They saw him, said "stop, we need to speak with you" and he took off running. That right there is probable cause enough to at least detain someone for a short period of time.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

If he ran unprovoked and the cops weren't looking for him, yea, they might find that strange and take a mental note, but it seems to me that they would have more pertinent things to do. My guess is someone called something in and Freddie Gray matched the description. They saw him, said "stop, we need to speak with you" and he took off running. That right there is probable cause enough to at least detain someone for a short period of time.
    There's no mention that he pulled the knife out so it sounds to me, at least with the small amount of info we have, the probable cause the cops stated in their report wasn't there. Now SCOTUS has ruled that fleeing from the police in a high crime area is enough for the police to follow and detain. That's the probable cause they could have used.

But again, until we see the paperwork, this is all speculation.

And I am LOL'ing that a knife in a pocket, spring loaded or not, is a "dangerous weapon". The fact that it's spring loaded is immaterial and not illegal in MD. It's the button deployment that makes a knife illegal in MD, not the fact it has a spring.

My karambit has a spring to assist the Emerson wave and it's 100% legal in all 50 states, deploying the blade faster than a switchblade.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 04-24-2015 at 08:33 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

yeah... they found the only thing they could arrest him for, after the fact. it was found in his pocket. so the whole chasing him and arresting him is still questionable in the first place imo. I dont see probable cause. I really dont like the idea of not being able to run in certain areas without fear that the police will chase you. thatll start opening up some race profiling issues as well, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And I am LOL'ing that a knife in a pocket, spring loaded or not, is a "dangerous weapon". The fact that it's spring loaded is immaterial and not illegal in MD. It's the button deployment that makes a knife illegal in MD, not the fact it has a spring.

My karambit has a spring to assist the Emerson wave and it's 100% legal in all 50 states, deploying the blade faster than a switchblade.
    thats what I dont get. I didnt know the term for it, but that flick of your wrist is just as easy and fast, and almost every knife ive ever used you can do that with. as far as being dangerous, arent they all the same? wouldnt blade size be more determining of that?

If the walking dead has taught me anything its that a Katana is highly deadly... based on their law stating that "if not distinctly mentioned as illegal, all other blades are legal to open or conceal carry." wouldnt that mean you could conceal carry one of those? Just seems like a really dumb law.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RustonRifle View Post
    I've been following it but have been waiting for the details to come out.

I don't think any would argue that it's a tragic end to a life. If and at this point it's a big if the Police had anything to do criminally with Gray's death they are one in a long list of people who have failed this young man and paved the way for his demise.

One could start with the parents and older men in his life.
    The justice system has failed to hold this young man accountable for his crimes against society, drug dealing and such and play some role in the end of this mans life . It's possible with stiffer sentence than showing up in a court room only to leave that he may have been forced to turn the life around.
    The politicians that appoint these judges and spout off that young black men are prosecuted unfairly which leads to minimal or no punishment and only back on the streets to commit the same offenses against the community they reside in.

If the police let this Gray run away and he harms someone they'll be criticized for not apprehending him. The men and ladies in blue are in a no win situation. Police make mistakes but if they ever stop policing we'd see a world of hurt and no community would be in worse shape than the high crime area residents.

It won't be any help to his loved ones but still hoping something positive can come from this tragedy.
    I agree with what you're saying, but the problem is the media and others (the Al Sharpton's of the world) are going to perpetuate that this is a result of white police officers targeting black citizens. Those people don't want to hear that Freddie Gray was not a model citizen and they don't want to hear that the police may not have actually done anything incorrectly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    calling a switchblade a dangerous "one-hand operated" concealed weapon just seems funny to me. a very large portion of legal knives can be operated with one hand, and apparently its ok to conceal a fixed blade (non-bowie) which is ready immediately. Its a pretty dumb law, imo, but one none the less. Certainly not worth dying over, which he did, so now the question is how he did. just because the guy had a criminal history (i cant find anything on his history if youd like to post Darb72), doesnt mean he deserves to die for this. Im assuming if he was on the street whatever crime he did do previously, he served for and was a free man.

watching the video, I didnt really see anything that looked all that vicious in his arrest. the "without force" part I think is a little misleading as they clearly were holding him down. he had a little issue walking (the guy taping said they used a tazer) but overall seemed fine going into the van. a little later he has a severed spinal cord. thats not normal.
    :word

He reportedly was flailing about in the back of the paddy wagon. He may have done it to himself.