Page 84 of 98 FirstFirst ... 8283848586 ... LastLast
Results 997 to 1,008 of 1172

Thread: Freddie Gray

Re: Freddie Gray

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Far more cops than what? Agitators stoking community unrest? Cops than in the past? What is in greater number now compared to?
    Like to see some stats that support cops bending the rules, If anything, the good cops outnumber the bad cops.

Not sure I've ever heard of a major protest that turned into a riot supporting police beating shot and beaten. Police have rules and regulations that they either conform to or eventually get dismissed. Thugs have nothing but motive.

You can harp on the bad cops all you want. How police need to do this and that, but in the end apprehending a suspect will never change if that suspect resists. Police don't need to do anymore then what their job entails. Asking for special consideration towards criminals is crazy.

How about the Governor shutting down the jail because the living conditions are terrible there.

Here's an idea, don't break any laws and stay out of trouble. No need to spend millions of tax payers money to build a jail where criminals can have better living conditions, SMH.

Where's the outrage for the deputy murdered( shoot from behind), hands up doesn't include police, LOL. Thinking that jury will have it easy to find a verdict.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    I agree that it is not a one-sided issue; both the police and the community need to acknowledge their faults and make changes.

In regards to the Baltimore Police department's recent history, the best account to understand the roots of what is going on is this*: https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...more-s-anguish

Simon himself admits "there's an awful lot to understand and I’m not sure I understand all of it." I agree.

Anybody that just tells the citizens of Baltimore - especially the black adult male 18-35 - to just "obey the police" after reading this is either willfully ignorant of the facts of the police/community dynamic, or very very naive.

*By the way, after reading this, and then seeing O'Malley's recent pontifications on criminal justice reform, his statements strike me as some of the the most hypocritical politicizing of this issue. I would love to see Simon interview O'Malley on this issue. The 2 did reportedly bury the hatchet over a beer on a train last summer: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...c97_story.html
    Well said on a lot of fronts.

Kind of a side note, but anyone who wants to pick Simon's brain can easily do so. Go sit in Ropewalk for happy hour and chances are good you'll see him there having a pint of Guinness.

He's very approachable and will talk your ear off. Comes across as a bit glib but will usually give you 10-15 minutes of good stuff.

Blog Entries

I agree that it is not a one-sided issue; both the police and the community need to acknowledge their faults and make changes.

In regards to the Baltimore Police department's recent history, the best account to understand the roots of what is going on is this*: https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...more-s-anguish

Simon himself admits "there's an awful lot to understand and I’m not sure I understand all of it." I agree.

Anybody that just tells the citizens of Baltimore - especially the black adult male 18-35 - to just "obey the police" after reading this is either willfully ignorant of the facts of the police/community dynamic, or very very naive.

*By the way, after reading this, and then seeing O'Malley's recent pontifications on criminal justice reform, his statements strike me as some of the the most hypocritical politicizing of this issue. I would love to see Simon interview O'Malley on this issue. The 2 did reportedly bury the hatchet over a beer on a train last summer: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...c97_story.html
    Probably the most accurate portrayal of what's going on. I'm a big fan of Simon, btw.

Very good piece. Had not heard of Simon before. Comes across as very knowledgeable and understanding on the subject.

I think this was a great point “If I had to guess and put a name on it, I’d say that at some point, the drug war was as much a function of class and social control as it was of racism.” And true not just for Baltimore, but a lot of communities across the country.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

All I got out of that article is that cops are bad and Democrats destroy black lives. Maybe something about a code.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    All I got out of that article is that cops are bad and Democrats destroy black lives. Maybe something about a code.
    LOl, imagine a commentator not supporting his views, are there any still around, LOL.

O'yea, mosby has said she is on top of the murders. Her and the police have got it together, but she needs the communities to support her, SMH. Stop snitching was born in Baltimore and she's trying to change that, LOL. This women is so far out of it, she really hasn't a clue.
    Trial this week starts, let's see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Oh and it's the war on drugs fault.

Oh and it's the war on drugs fault.
    How can there not be fault with the war on drugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Probably the most accurate portrayal of what's going on. I'm a big fan of Simon, btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Very good piece. Had not heard of Simon before. Comes across as very knowledgeable and understanding on the subject.

I think this was a great point “If I had to guess and put a name on it, I’d say that at some point, the drug war was as much a function of class and social control as it was of racism.” And true not just for Baltimore, but a lot of communities across the country.
    Sorry, Simons' promoting the same old shit. Leave the poor people alone, don't enforce drug laws, because well those poor people got left behind by Capitalism

What some insight of the thinking of Simon read this.....

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-americas-wire

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    How can there not be fault with the war on drugs?

Well, when the premise is that enforcing drug laws is somehow a bad thing. The city is being engulfed by drugs, and well, the community should just look the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    LOl, imagine a commentator not supporting his views, are there any still around, LOL.

O'yea, mosby has said she is on top of the murders. Her and the police have got it together, but she needs the communities to support her, SMH. Stop snitching was born in Baltimore and she's trying to change that, LOL. This women is so far out of it, she really hasn't a clue.
    Trial this week starts, let's see what happens.
    I don't understand what you're trying to say in regards to Stop Snitching? That was a street movement, not a law enforcement movement. Why wouldn't law enforcement want to change that?

Well, when the premise is that enforcing drug laws is somehow a bad thing. The city is being engulfed by drugs, and well, the community should just look the other way.
    That's not Simon's position or the main critique of the war on drugs.

It's mandatory minimum sentence for minor possession of weed, weed use, etc. He's not saying there ought not be enforcement of the more serious of drugs such as heroin.