Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Melvin Gordon

Re: Melvin Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by winnipegraven View Post
    my point was the RB pool is there... do you really feel that those 2 guys warrant the 1RD consideration from the RAVENS. I have no doubt they'll both be gone in the 1st - if not I'd start looking into the collusion issue again. For every "Gurley" there is a "t.rich". Given depth and risk/reward, is it really worth it for our team? I don't think so.

Here's NFL.com's "Best 1st RD RBs of last decade"

1. Adrian Peterson, Vikings (No. 7, 2007)
    2. Steven Jackson, Rams (No. 24, 2004)
    3. Chris Johnson, Titans (No. 24, 2008)
    4. DeAngelo Williams, Panthers (No. 27, 2006)
    5. Jonathan Stewart, Panthers (No. 13, 2008)
    6. Darren McFadden, Raiders (No. 4, 2008)
    7. Rashard Mendenhall, Steelers (No. 23, 2008)
    8. Larry Johnson, Chiefs (No. 27, 2003)
    9. Willis McGahee, Bills (No. 23, 2003)
    10. Ryan Mathews, Chargers (No. 12, 2010)
    11. Reggie Bush, Saints (No. 2, 2006)
    12. Marshawn Lynch, Bills (No. 12, 2007)
    13. Ronnie Brown (No. 2, 2005)
    14. Beanie Wells, Cardinals (No. 31, 2009)
    15. Joseph Addai, Colts (No. 30, 2006)
    16. Cedric Benson, Bears (No. 4, 2005)
    17. Mark Ingram, Saints (No. 28, 2011)
    18. Cadillac Williams, (No. 5, 2005)
    19. Felix Jones, Cowboys (No. 22, 2008)
    20. Jahvid Best, Lions (No. 30, 2010)
    21. Kevin Jones, Lions (No. 30, 2004)
    22. Laurence Maroney, Patriots (No. 21, 2006)
    23. T.J. Duckett, Falcons (No. 18, 2002)
    24. C.J. Spiller, Bills (No. 9, 2010)
    25. William Green, Browns (No. 16, 2002)
    26. Knowshon Moreno (No. 12, 2009)
    27. Donald Brown, Colts (No. 27, 2009)
    28. Chris Perry, Bengals (No. 26, 2004)
    I have issues with NFL.coms list.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    2 RBs are going in the first round, I'd bet the ranch on that. The good news for many is they won't fall to the Ravens.
    Exactly, man.

For all this talk about RBs being a poor value in the first round,
    and as true as that may be, someone is going
    to pounce on Gurley and Mel in the 1st and Gurley won't even
    be able to play for a year. It's like Jamal Lewis who was a great pick
    for us in that draft in the first round. We won the SB with him and
    Ozzie always says we would have won 2 had he not been injured
    the 2d year. Shannan Sharpe always says we should have won
    2 even w/o him.

Ravens could break him in slowly behind Forsett and then he takes
    over next year or he might even beat Forsett out. He knows the system.
    Ravens have that luxary being on 1 or 2 players
    away from the SB and it doesn't look like we're getting a CB or a
    WR in the first round but could get them later in the draft.

All that said, I don't expect either RB to drop to us.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-18-2015 at 12:43 AM.

3. Re: Melvin Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    I'd like to know why Marshawn Lynch is 12th on that list. Is it because he wasn't as valuable to the Bills, the team that drafted him, as he has been for the Seahawks?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury
    I agree. However, given the sparsity of actual quality RBs on the list it's hard to argue that a 1st RD RB is an EXTREMELY risky proposition.

"Our highly scientific ATL formula for the list is a mix of past achievement, future potential, and how my breakfast is settling this Monday. A player like Ryan Mathews can be ranked high without a great resume because he does well on the following question: Would you want him on your team?"

List must have had more to do with his breakfast than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    I'd like to know why Marshawn Lynch is 12th on that list. Is it because he wasn't as valuable to the Bills, the team that drafted him, as he has been for the Seahawks?
    No, the guy who made the list is a moron + it was made 3 years ago - almost to the day. I'd like the same guy to re-compile the same list, today.

Blog Entries

2 RBs are going in the first round, I'd bet the ranch on that. The good news for many is they won't fall to the Ravens.
    fishy, I am one of them. I want CB, WR, or pass rush OLB/DE to be 1st. There are several RBs that can be had between the 2nd and 4th rounds, who can be Forsett's successor... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Marshawn Lynch was a worse pick than McFadden and Mendenhall..... I see what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    fishy, I am one of them. I want CB, WR, or pass rush OLB/DE to be 1st. There are several RBs that can be had between the 2nd and 4th rounds, who can be Forsett's successor... Bc
    I like Gurley because I think he'd contribute this year. But I am under no illusion that we'll pick him since most mocks have him being long gone. The thread is about Gordon, I'm not sold on him as a 1st. I'm concerned that Forsett can hold up to another year of pounding as the featured back and Taliafero being competent as a back up. So I do hope they invest in the position somewhere. Our OL is too good to not want to exploit that strength.

There's a lot of other needs, we'll get BPA from the team's board. I'm thinking CB as the draft draws near. There's a lot of teams that place a higher value on offensive talent. Looking at the list of RBs, most(not all) were selected by unsuccessful team.

Blog Entries

I like Gurley because I think he'd contribute this year. But I am under no illusion that we'll pick him since most mocks have him being long gone. The thread is about Gordon, I'm not sold on him as a 1st. I'm concerned that Forsett can hold up to another year of pounding as the featured back and Taliafero being competent as a back up. So I do hope they invest in the position somewhere. Our OL is too good to not want to exploit that strength.

There's a lot of other needs, we'll get BPA from the team's board. I'm thinking CB as the draft draws near. There's a lot of teams that place a higher value on offensive talent. Looking at the list of RBs, most(not all) were selected by unsuccessful team.
    (a) Whoever Ozzie picks I am fine with (b) that said, Gurley has injury issues. Of course he can heal in 2015 while Forsett/Tali carry the load, if the Ravens are OK with a player who may not make an impact in the upcoming season. Personally, I wouldn't be because I believe our team is a strong playoff contender. (c) Gordon perhaps is a real 1st round opportunity, but I feel the Ravens can get 80+ % of his production in a later round. (d) Therefore, as you guys must already know, I would not draft RB in round #1. Now if one/both of these guys are available, and another team wants to make a draft trade in the Ravens favor, then by all means go ahead... Bc

Good points. I would be willing to move up to #23 Detroit to get Gurley. Several mocks have him going to Arizona at #24, but I think he will be gone by the middle of the 1st. I don't care for Gordon because of the fumbling and unproven pass blocking; I don't expect the Ravens to take him. I would be happy with CB Marcus Peters at #26.

Melvin Gordon = Ron Dayne

No thanks.

Gurley is a potential stud, but coming off an injury like that. Ehh.. no thanks.

11. Re: Melvin Gordon

I don't see the comparison.
    Dayne was very big, sometimes 270 pounds, and slow for an NFL RB.
    Gordon is the proper weight and faster than average.

Dayne might have had a better career, but his weight was always an issue with his coaches. I don't see Gordon ever having that problem.
    Last edited by PerpetuallyBored74; 04-21-2015 at 11:00 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    Melvin Gordon = Ron Dayne
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.