Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Running back in the first round

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstatsman View Post
    Depends which running back. If Gurley, then yes. If Gordon, then it depends on who else is available.
    That's my feeling as well. If Gurley's gone, is Gordon that much better than Ajayi, Abdullah, Cobb, Coleman, D Johnson, or Yeldon? Gordon has question marks of catching the ball and pass protection. In this passing age, you don't pick a part-time back in the 1st.

I personally like Yeldon, Ajayi, and Cobb for us in that 2nd rd range.

2. Re: Running back in the first round

This is what concerns me about taking any RB in the 1st round:

Among the top-10 rushers in the NFL last season, the average fumble rate was 140.3, in other words, an average of one fumble every 140.3 offensive touches.
    Below is the career fumble rate (and hand size in inches) for running back prospects in the 2015 NFL Draft class:

35.4 -- Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska (8 5/8)
    52.2 -- Kenny Hilliard, LSU (9 1/4)
    54.4 -- Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin (9 3/4)
    62.2 -- T.J. Yeldon, Alabama (9)
    62.6 -- Jay Ajayi, Boise State (10)
    63.2 -- Matt Jones, Florida (8 5/8)
    72.3 -- Tevin Coleman, Indiana (8 5/8)
    74.5 -- David Cobb, Minnesota (9 3/8)
    77.5 -- David Johnson, Northern Iowa (9 5/8)
    80.0 -- Javorius Allen, USC (9 3/8)
    85.0 -- Duke Johnson, Miami (Fla.) (9 1/4)
    87.3 -- Mike Davis, South Carolina (9 3/8)
    91.5 -- Josh Robinson, Mississippi State (10 1/8)
    92.7 -- Karlos Williams, Florida State (9 3/4)
    123.2 -- Jeremy Langford, Michigan State (8 3/4)
    125.0 -- Terrence Magee, LSU (9)
    134.4 -- Zach Zenner, South Dakota State (9 5/8)
    136.0 -- Cameron Artis-Payne, Auburn (8 7/8)
    156.3 -- Dominique Brown, Louisville (9 1/2)
    191.7 -- Todd Gurley, Georgia (10)
    619.0 -- Malcolm Brown, Texas (10 1/4)
    Source:
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...g-rb-prospects

That Gurley man looks good.

I think as board we are generally happy with who we pick first. I think we'd all be OK with one of the 2 RB's or one of the CB's or a Randy Gregory type, I'm more concerned with where we take a WR is it gonna be in rounds 2-4 or 6-7?

5. Re: Running back in the first round

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    This is what concerns me about taking any RB in the 1st round:

Source:
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...g-rb-prospects
    That doesn't really bother me. These guys are getting more snaps and more tread on their tires than most NFL backs. They are putting up numbers NFL backs are trying to reach. So this does not bother me. Gordon rushed for over 2500 yards last year. He's not going to do that in the NFL and he's not going to have as many carries per game. At most teams are going to run 30 run plays per game and most teams using a two back system those carries are going to be split between two backs. Gordon had six games alone last year where he had over 25 carries. In comparison to Forsett for instance, Forsett did not have one game where he had over 25 carries. In the NFL you run a guy into the ground doing that. Forsett finished last season with 235 carries. Gordon had 343 carries, which is over 100 more opportunities. The fact that they are carrying the football more = more fumble opportunities.

Now you take a guy like Ameer Abdullah and there is a reason why his fumble rate is much lower. His carries are very similar in number to Forsett. Last year he had 264 carries, which is much closer to Forsett, than a guy like Gordon. Abdullah had only one game over 25 carries.

Jay Ajayi, had 347 carries last season, which is very similar to Gordon.
    That chart doesn't scare me one bit about taking a game changing HB in the first round.

6. Re: Running back in the first round

Quote Originally Posted by Rave_NY View Post
    I think as board we are generally happy with who we pick first. I think we'd all be OK with one of the 2 RB's or one of the CB's or a Randy Gregory type, I'm more concerned with where we take a WR is it gonna be in rounds 2-4 or 6-7?
    It'll most likely be rounds 3-4 depending on how the value lines up with respect to other positions. And there are some good guys in that group who will be good NFL starters. They just might not have the immediate impact that the 1st round guys will have.

i didnt want to make a separate thread so i'll post in here...anyone have any interest on singing ahmad bradshaw if we don't get gurley or gordon...obviously he's got injury issues but think he could contribute for cheap when healthy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt CouchPotato View Post
    i didnt want to make a separate thread so i'll post in here...anyone have any interest on singing ahmad bradshaw if we don't get gurley or gordon...obviously he's got injury issues but think he could contribute for cheap when healthy
    I'm a little surprised he is still a free agent, although he had a marijuana charge a couple months ago so that may be part of it. You're right, when he is healthy he is solid. But he doesn't stay healthy as much as you'd like to see in that position.

My guess is he goes back to Indy.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

9. Re: Running back in the first round

Nahhh, there are still some other really good HB's in the draft. Tevin Coleman is the next guy in line. Then Ajayi, Abdullah, Duke Johnson, David Cobb, Jeremy Langford, Yeldon and the list is pretty deep. I'd rather bring in one of those guys.

I dont see the value in to take any RB in the first round. Is Gurley/ Gordon good enough you would draft them in the first over a potential day one starter at WR, CB or pass rusher? Tali will be eating up carries this year... Id rather draft Yeldon in the 3rd or 4th, and pick up a WR, CB and DLineman in the first 3 picks...

I just dont see the value or need for RB in the FIRST round

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    I dont see the value in to take any RB in the first round. Is Gurley/ Gordon good enough you would draft them in the first over a potential day one starter at WR, CB or pass rusher? Tali will be eating up carries this year... Id rather draft Yeldon in the 3rd or 4th, and pick up a WR, CB and DLineman in the first 3 picks...

I just dont see the value or need for RB in the FIRST round

The only RB imo that would be worthy of a 1st round pick is Gurley and that's only if the Ravens are satisfied with his health. I like several of the other backs, specifically Ajayi, Coleman and David Johnson, but a healthy Gurley is the only player to me that's worthy of a 1st rd pick. I can't really say if I would take him without seeing the medical records that the NFL teams are privy to. Gordon is a great talent but the fumbles and lack of receptions in college scare me off from taking him in the first.

Blog Entries

We already signed our veteran RB. No reason to add another. We have 10 picks in this draft and there is great depth at the position.