Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Running back in the first round

I haven't seen this mentioned thus far on the board (although I'm sure there's something in the depths of the draft thread) so I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse, but I wanted to get the pulse of the board on taking Gurley or Gordon in the first round.

How would you feel about that pick at 26 given all the other needs we have? We just resigned Forsett, yes, but is he really a game changer?

I would have very mixed feelings on the pick, leaning more towards disappointment. On the one hand, I find no value in RBs this high in the draft and, as stated before, we have much more dire needs at WR, TE, pass rusher, and CB.

On the other, a devaluation of the position doesn't necessarily mean the devaluation of every individual player. Some analysts have called one or the other the best prospect in the draft, talent-wise. That talent level behind our o-line could potentially produce scary results (I'm talking best back in the league). This could be extremely beneficial to our control-the-ball-and-play-great-defense philosophy.

I'll reiterate, I do not believe this would not be the ideal pick at all. But given Ozzie's penchant for BPA and the recent rumors swirling about Gordon not making it past 26, I think it is a realistic possibility.

Also, while we're on the topic I'll pose one more question: which of the two (if you were forced to take one) would you prefer?

2. Re: Running back in the first round

There is an entire thread titled My Argument for the 1st Pick.

Re: Running back in the first round

This RB class is deep and so I think the best value at RB will probably be in round 3... take an elite corner/pass rusher in the first round. Those things fly off the shelves.

Blog Entries

I see a lot of people on this board drooling over Le'Veon Bell every time we see him. His impact might have most been felt in the playoffs when he wasn't there. That guy is a real game changer. Gurley and Gordon look like players with that type of potential. They do it in very different ways way but I haven't seen running backs prospects who looked this good since 2008 when you had McFadden, Johnathan Stewart, Chris Johnson, Rashad Mendenhall and Ray Rice who all looked great. Looking at the results of those guys does reinforce the fact that a prospect looking great is not the same as a player becoming great. Still, if Ozzie pulled the trigger on a RB in the 1st round I certainly wouldn't second guess it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreLove View Post
    This RB class is deep and so I think the best value at RB will probably be in round 3... take an elite corner/pass rusher in the first round. Those things fly off the shelves.
    They don't have a top 10 pick. The "elite" corners / pass rushers will be gone by #26. Like you said...those things fly off the shelves. Not all first rounders are the same.

Blog Entries

I've been on the "RB at 26" train for a while now. I will continue to say it's entirely plausible that they take Gordon. My feeling is there are probably more who would not like that pick than those who would. I can certainly see the argument against it, shelf life, value of the position, etc. I wouldn't mind it, depending on who else was there, of course. One thing the Ravens really need offensively is some speed, whether at WR, TE, or RB, Gordon would certainly give them that.

Depends which running back. If Gurley, then yes. If Gordon, then it depends on who else is available.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't draft an RB in round #1. Of course if Ozzie thinks different that's another matter. I'd much rather draft the highest rated CB. RB and WR are deep in this draft. We can get an RB and/or WR in the 2nd thru 4th rounds. This is not my mock, only a possibility = (1 CBs) Collins, Williams, Peters, Johnson (2 WRs) D. Smith, Agholor, Coates (3 RBs) Ajayi, Abdullah, Yeldon, Langford. That doesn't even begin to include (OLB/DE) pass rushers. So, no 1st round RB for me... Bc

Gurley, yes. Other than he, no. Jay Ajayi said on PFT Live the other day that we are one of the teams showing the most interest in him. I didn't watch him in college, but I have read nothing but good things about him. He seems to be a complete player.

On another note, Thomas Hammock was present today at Tevin Coleman's pro day.

11. Re: Running back in the first round

I like Gordon over Gurley because based on the tape I saw, Gordon is better when running between the tackles because he uses his pads better and has much better vision, but those fumbles ARE a concern. I also like Coleman (tough north/south one cut and go type with impressive burst and long speed) and Duke Johnson (Ray Rice 2.0, but faster with a nasty stiff arm).

I have a feeling one of those 3 may be our pick.

12. Re: Running back in the first round

I wouldn't mind either Gurley or Gordon in the first round and would actually contemplate Coleman if I was at 32. I'm coming around to the Ravens will always be the strong defense, strong running game team. And I wouldn't have a problem taking a HB this year in the first. Of course we resigned Forsett, but, remember what happened last year after the Saints game. Forsett got hurt and while he still played our run game fell completely off and we struggled down the stretch against Jacksonville and Houston. While we won the Jacksonville game, it was way too close early on and to me part of that was because we couldn't run. Ideally, I'd like a running game that tells the defense it's not going to get easier for you. I think we need a back that's a home run threat so I would definitely like one of the top 3; Gurley, Gordon, Coleman.