Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Has Pouncey's 5 yr $50M contract priced Yanda into free agency

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFanatic View Post
    Ok these numbers you guysare throwingout are crazy. He is under a 5 year 32.5M contract that he signed at his peak. Now at 31 hes not going to get ckose to that. Pounceys cobtract means about jack shit for us.

Ben Grubbs at 31and a hair less talented than Yanda but still playing at a high level got 2 years 10M. THAT is far more in line with Yanda. This whole thread is a waste. Its likestarting one talking about Camps next contract vs Torreys lol
    Last edited by WrongBaldy; 04-12-2015 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    I love when people reply with facepalms and nothing else. Shows your intelligence. Care to explain what you didnt agree with?

Edit ok lets look at facts. Yanda 4x pro bowler 1 time AllPro career AV of 61
    Grubbs 2x Probowler but hasnt been a 1st team AllPro. Career AV of 56

Youre acting like Grubbs is some kind of bum. Hes not. Hes a pretty damn good LG in the NFl. Is Yanda a better player? Yes just like I said, but its not like were talking Yanda vs Gino Gradkowski here. Lol
    Last edited by RavensFanatic; 04-13-2015 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CopRaven View Post
    He didn't sign his last contract at his peak. He's coming off he's best season, which means either a) he's at his peak right now b) he hasn't reached his peak yet. There's a pretty strong correlation between the size of the contract you sign and your performance the year before you signed that contract. Yanda was the best guard in the league last year, thus he deserves to be paid accordingly. Grubbs' contract is irrelevant, as he's coming off a far worse season than Yanda.

If you bother to look beyond his age, you'll see that Yanda is in a position to command a contract as big as his current one.
    He signed his last contract at 25. The contract after the rookie contract tends to be the big one. Of course it depends on the player and so forth but still. You CANT look beyond his age. 31. Thats certainly something that will come into play.

And guys gasping at Grubbs. MOST here wanted us to resign him! We chose Yanda because we offered BOTH about the same contract and the Saints beat it out to get Grubbs. So just because he didnt resign here hes chopped liver? He kept the Midgit upright long enough for sure. Yes Yanda is the better G. But when youre talking atthis age the Money closes the gap much more.

If whomever wants to hand him another 5 year 32.5 M dollar deal than thats your problem. And thank goodness youre not running the Ravens.

Edit: Sorry didnt address this one beautiful quote of yours, he hasnt reached his peak yet? Hell be 31years old! WTF do you think hes Moses or something? Fuck. I like Yanda also and hesbeen lock solid on our right side and hes my kind of blue collar in your face good ol boys. But fuck. Father time catches everyone. And if Grubbs gets 2 years 10M than he shouldnt get more than 2 years 12M or 3 for 17 maybe. Theres noone in the trenches older than that thats worth a damn. Sorry. But noone is immortal and im sure hed like to retire also. Hence why I said add in a home in the caribbean or a ranch in Iowa or something like that on top of his pay.
    Last edited by RavensFanatic; 04-12-2015 at 05:35 PM.

He signed his last contract at 25. The contract after the rookie contract tends to be the big one. Of course it depends on the player and so forth but still. You CANT look beyond his age. 31. Thats certainly something that will come into play.

And guys gasping at Grubbs. MOST here wanted us to resign him! We chose Yanda because we offered BOTH about the same contract and the Saints beat it out to get Grubbs. So just because he didnt resign here hes chopped liver? He kept the Midgit upright long enough for sure. Yes Yanda is the better G. But when youre talking atthis age the Money closes the gap much more.

If whomever wants to hand him another 5 year 32.5 M dollar deal than thats your problem. And thank goodness youre not running the Ravens.

Edit: Sorry didnt address this one beautiful quote of yours, he hasnt reached his peak yet? Hell be 31years old! WTF do you think hes Moses or something? Fuck. I like Yanda also and hesbeen lock solid on our right side and hes my kind of blue collar in your face good ol boys. But fuck. Father time catches everyone. And if Grubbs gets 2 years 10M than he shouldnt get more than 2 years 12M or 3 for 17 maybe. Theres noone in the trenches older than that thats worth a damn. Sorry. But noone is immortal and im sure hed like to retire also. Hence why I said add in a home in the caribbean or a ranch in Iowa or something like that on top of his pay.
    I didn't say age won't come in to play - I said there will be other factors in play, namely the fact that he's better now than he was when he signed his current contract, which should even the age factor out.

The difference between Grubbs and Yanda isn't how good they were when they got their contracts in 2011 and 2012 respectively. The difference is that Yanda has aged much better than Grubbs, which is why they're not comparable anymore.

I also didn't say that he hasn't reached his peak yet. I said it was one of two possibilities. The other possibility is that last year was his peak. Either way, he should be close to his peak level for another 3-4 years. When that peak level is being the best OL in the game, 3-4 years of "close to peak level" is worth paying for.

Really, this boils down to the fact that your perception of age is waaaay off mark. Many players have turned in their best seasons at age 31. Reed had one of his best seasons in 2010 at age 32, and that was despite much bigger injury concerns that what Yanda has been dealing with up to now.

Quote Originally Posted by CopRaven View Post
    Either way, he should be close to his peak level for another 3-4 years. When that peak level is being the best OL in the game, 3-4 years of "close to peak level" is worth paying for.
    Let's not get carried away. Yanda been an excellent guard and had his best season last year, but there's no real way to objectively measure individual OL play to determine if he's "the best OL in the game".

He's really good and last season with Kubiak the whole o-line played really well. Not as good with Caldwell. We'll see how it goes with Trestman. We should be wary of judging a guy after a season with Kubiak, because that guy gets beastly o-line play wherever he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstatsman View Post
    Let's not get carried away. Yanda been an excellent guard and had his best season last year, but there's no real way to objectively measure individual OL play to determine if he's "the best OL in the game".

He's really good and last season with Kubiak the whole o-line played really well. Not as good with Caldwell. We'll see how it goes with Trestman. We should be wary of judging a guy after a season with Kubiak, because that guy gets beastly o-line play wherever he goes.

I might agree with your response if we were talking about anyone other then Yanda, but last year was not the first time he looked good. The guy is a 4 time pro bowler, a two time 2nd team All-Pro and made the first team All-Pro last year. He's not some flash in the pan system player who only prospered because of Kubiak's system. Now having said that, if his price escalates because of the Pouncey deal and the Ravens have to choose between him and KO, I choose KO because of his age (5 years younger) and the fact that his deal would be significantly less money.

7. Re: Has Pouncey's 5 yr $50M contract priced Yanda into free agency

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstatsman View Post

We've kept Kubiak's offense, also retained Castillo to continue to teach Gary's version of the ZBS.

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    We've kept Kubiak's offense, also retained Castillo to continue to teach Gary's version of the ZBS.
    Castillo was also here in 2013 when Yanda wasn't great and the whole o-line was crap.

And I don't think it matters much that we kept Kubiak's offense. It's Kubiak who has generated great o-line play wherever he goes, not his system. Trestman has never had anywhere close to the same level of success at Kubiak in terms of running efficiency, and I think anyone who expects our run game to equal last year's will be very disappointed.

Now youre getting carried away. Yanda is suddenly going to turn in his best years at the age of31-35? Look at the ages of starting OG, than look at WHO is still playing at a high level. Its already been said the oldest is 34 and they just retired after having a mediocre season. Mathis is 33 and I believe is still a Fa, could be wrong on that but still. And Reed had his best year at 32? You must be young and dont remember the Reed in his 20s. By 32 he had lost a step and was a shadow of his former self. Maybe you just turned 30 and are appaled by being called a old guy,lol hey Im 35 get over it. People start sliding at age 30 lol. Fact of life. The gym hurts more, youre hair doesnt grow as much, you start getting the occasional grey lol. It sucks but its life. And Yanda is NOT going to play at a ProBowl level at age 34 or even 33.

Ok these numbers you guysare throwingout are crazy. He is under a 5 year 32.5M contract that he signed at his peak. Now at 31 hes not going to get ckose to that. Pounceys cobtract means about jack shit for us.
    Wow, you are kind of right here (progress for you). I do think Yanda will get "ckose" to his last contract, but nowhere near the Pouncey contract or some of the other numbers others have mentioned. I would think the absolute floor for Yanda's next deal would be 3 years/$16.5m ($5.5m/year) and the ceiling would be 4/$30. My best estimate is that he pulls in somewhere in the neighborhood of 4/$24-25m ($6-6.25m annually).

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Wow, you are kind of right here (progress for you). I do think Yanda will get "ckose" to his last contract, but nowhere near the Pouncey contract or some of the other numbers others have mentioned. I would think the absolute floor for Yanda's next deal would be 3 years/$16.5m ($5.5m/year) and the ceiling would be 4/$30. My best estimate is that he pulls in somewhere in the neighborhood of 4/$24-25m ($6-6.25m annually).
    Lol hey now, Im right alot more than maybe you want to give credit for. Im just not the greatest politician on the board to get it across lol. I know my faults, im a hot head and that gets in the way of my typing at times.
    And I agree with your numbers. I think that would also allow us to keep KO provided he doesnt want astronomical numbers. Which he might, he might not. Guess well see how it plays out but 10-12 M into the G position isnt that big a deal, plenty of other teams are in that range.

Now youre getting carried away. Yanda is suddenly going to turn in his best years at the age of31-35? Look at the ages of starting OG, than look at WHO is still playing at a high level. Its already been said the oldest is 34 and they just retired after having a mediocre season. Mathis is 33 and I believe is still a Fa, could be wrong on that but still. And Reed had his best year at 32? You must be young and dont remember the Reed in his 20s. By 32 he had lost a step and was a shadow of his former self. Maybe you just turned 30 and are appaled by being called a old guy,lol hey Im 35 get over it. People start sliding at age 30 lol. Fact of life. The gym hurts more, youre hair doesnt grow as much, you start getting the occasional grey lol. It sucks but its life. And Yanda is NOT going to play at a ProBowl level at age 34 or even 33.
    Evan Mathis has been much better in his 30's than in his 20's. And he's not a free agent, he happens to be one of the best guards in the game.

Andrew Whitworth is 33 and is coming off yet another season as one of the league's best offensive lineman.

Justin Smith (a defensive lineman, that should count too) was arguably the best defensive player in the league in 2011 at age 32 and has still produced three high quality seasons after that.

Michael Roos played at a high level through age 31, until an injury forced him into retirement.

Dominic Raiola was PFF's #2 center in 2013 at age 34.

Matt Birk was PFF's #1 center in 2010 at age 34.