Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Why Tyler Lockett makes sense in Round 2

Test reply. Please ignore.
    Admin Steve :uk:
    Screwing up Ravens message boards since 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    But still if you look at the scouting reports especially his combine profile on NFL.com it saids Odell Beckham would be a slot receiver and kr/pr in The NFL. When I look at Tyler Lockett he reminds of Ty Hilton and Antonio Brown but probably just a better route runner than they were when first entering into the league. He also reminds me of Derrick Mason at times as well because he so crafty with his routes.
    But now that we've seen what Beckham was his rookie year and what he should be, barring injury, moving forward, then we can at least agree Lockett has a lot to live up to if the comparison is indeed to Beckham. And, in my opinion, I don't see Lockett having the same type of impact. If the team grabs him in the fourth round, fine. I just think other WRs are more worthy of a second round pick.

3. Re: Why Tyler Lockett makes sense in Round 2

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    But now that we've seen what Beckham was his rookie year and what he should be, barring injury, moving forward, then we can at least agree Lockett has a lot to live up to if the comparison is indeed to Beckham. And, in my opinion, I don't see Lockett having the same type of impact. If the team grabs him in the fourth round, fine. I just think other WRs are more worthy of a second round pick.
    There is nothing wrong with this take. The question however is, what other guys and based on what? And outside of height do they bring anything that Lockett doesn't?

4. Re: Why Tyler Lockett makes sense in Round 2

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Yamon Figurs 2.0
    Figurs had nowhere near the production that Lockett had at KSU. Not even close.
    Last edited by The Wizard of OZ; 04-11-2015 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    I agree. Lockett is a buck 75. Makes me wonder what anyone is thinking comparing him to Beckham. His size is going to make durability a concern. MAYBE the Ravens see him as a value in round 3.

Its been said. Too small. Pass. Unless its for depth later but dont see the point in double dipping for a depth guy later. We have plenty of "almosts" we need a 1 and thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeak View Post
    I agree. Lockett is a buck 75. Makes me wonder what anyone is thinking comparing him to Beckham. His size is going to make durability a concern. MAYBE the Ravens see him as a value in round 3.
    He weighed 182 at the combine. Yes, he's slightly smaller than OBJ was coming out, but he's comparable to T.Y. Hilton and Antonio Brown. He might even be a better route runner than all three when they were drafted. He doesn't have an extensive injury history either. He missed about three weeks his junior year with a hamstring injury (and posted three touchdowns and 111 yards when he returned). He had a lacerated kidney his freshman year.

The Ravens would be lucky to have him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of OZ View Post
    There is nothing wrong with this take. The question however is, what other guys and based on what? And outside of height do they bring anything that Lockett doesn't?
    Agholor for starters. Hardy, lippet maybe. 170, I weigh more than that at 5'7 and Im pretty sure someone like Jimmy Smith can make me adjust my route. Im just talking size here nothing more.

I think if we can get him in the 3rd or 4th, he'd be a great pick. I think players like Antonio Brown, Odell Beckham Jr., and Steve Smith have proven that small guys can still be top flight WRs. I just think it happens less frequently, because they are at a disadvantage compared to guys that are 6 feet +. So that makes him a riskier pick - that's not to say he won't ultimately be really good, it just means you can't afford to use your 1st or 2nd pick on a guy like this. Short, small hands, etc.

I also think we could stand to add size, given that 2 of our best receivers are 5'9". To me, it's not really clear what will happen with Marlon so it would be good to add a guy with decent size.

10. Re: Why Tyler Lockett makes sense in Round 2

I like him a lot, and especially as compared to Dorsett. Agree that the Ravens would be lucky to get him, and I would certainly not "take him off the board" just because of how his stature compares to SSS and Camp. For one, how many more years will Sr. Play? We're not simply drafting for 2015. As for Camp, we all hope every pick works out and we love a good hometown story, but I'm not passing up on BPA just because I have a 6th round pick on the roster who is the roughly the same size. I know the OP's original point was that Lockett makes sense in the 2nd and I agree that may be a stretch, but I still like this prospect and believe he's got a chance to outperform his draft position.

11. Re: Why Tyler Lockett makes sense in Round 2

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFanatic View Post
    Agholor for starters. Hardy, lippet maybe. 170, I weigh more than that at 5'7 and Im pretty sure someone like Jimmy Smith can make me adjust my route. Im just talking size here nothing more.
    Again, I don't have a problem with the other names, but other than size what do they provide that Lockett doesn't?
    Smith can make those other guys named adjust their route so I'm not sure that's adequate criterion to count against the guy. A CB forcing someone to adjust their route is not just about size though, it's also about route running. From camp reports last year Steve Smith gave every CB we had trouble even Smith. So just because Lockett is a smaller guy doesn't mean that Jimmy Smith is going to automatically re-route him.

In the end I think the discussion is great to have because it will reveal what prejudices people have and what ideas they have regarding what makes for a good/great WR and right now it seems like size is king.

12. Re: Why Tyler Lockett makes sense in Round 2

Quote Originally Posted by DC Raven View Post
    I think if we can get him in the 3rd or 4th, he'd be a great pick. I think players like Antonio Brown, Odell Beckham Jr., and Steve Smith have proven that small guys can still be top flight WRs. I just think it happens less frequently, because they are at a disadvantage compared to guys that are 6 feet +. So that makes him a riskier pick - that's not to say he won't ultimately be really good, it just means you can't afford to use your 1st or 2nd pick on a guy like this. Short, small hands, etc.

I also think we could stand to add size, given that 2 of our best receivers are 5'9". To me, it's not really clear what will happen with Marlon so it would be good to add a guy with decent size.
    Now DC you've pointed out something which would make me hesitate in taking him, although SSS will most likely be gone in another season. But this point should definitely be heavily considered IMO. But given the spots where we are picking I don't see a lot of wiggle room in landing a really talented guy. Many on this board seem to agree that they would be disappointed in taking Perriman at 26. I'm not sure I necessarily would, but if we could get him between 30 and 40 I'd feel more comfortable with that. But then the problem lies in how other teams are going to view the WR position once we get to day 2, especially if they pass up on that opportunity in round 1. I suspect that Agholor is a riser in this draft. Teams really like him. They like what he provides on the field and they like him in the classroom. He'll be gone by 45 if not 40. And it would make me sick to my stomach (because I really like him as a player and his attitude for the game) if the Patriots took him at 32. But NE is in the ideal spot to take a guy like Agholor.

That leaves the following:

1) Devin Smith
    2) Phillip Dorsett
    3) Tyler Lockett
    4) Justin Hardy

I really think that we could have 7/8 WR's off the board by pick 50 (I'm not factoring in DGB; Devin Funchess). Out of this bunch above Devin Smith has the most size and provides us with what we lost, namely the deep ball threat. What I'm not sure of though is the rationale for taking Smith over the others, when the others, other than Hardy, can do what Smith can do, namely get deep for the big play. The others however, are smoother than Smith when it comes to other parts of the passing game. And when it comes to YAC, Lockett and Dorsett are probably the two best of the four mentioned.

Anyway, I do think your point is a very valid one considering who we already have on the roster. What I would also want to know is how the team really views Jeremy Butler and how many wideouts they want to carry.