Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Aldrick Robinson #13

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    No one is saying one wr makes a team successful.

But adding a talented wr to a talented team surely can't be a bad idea.

Is one high draft pick too much to ask for?jesus. Plenty of picks to go around...except at WR
    bt, many (most?) on this board want Jalen Strong with our 1st draft pick. Don't know if Ozzie will do it or not, but I think the majority here do want to use a high draft choice on WR. Somehow you guys are on the same general page, but you sound like you're preaching to the choir. Relax and let's see what unfolds on April 30th to May 2nd. Don't want to see you blowing a gasket, then finding out your dream has come true :) ... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    how many Superbowl Rings does that group have? 2? The same amount Ozzie has.
    3, actually.

But that wasn't the point of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

This is horseshit. Trent Richardson got chance after chance in indy because they were embarrassed they used a first on him.

Draft round also often follows players around during free agency...people value #1 picks and give them extra chances, more chances than late rounders.

I'm starting to think you really don't understand the draft and the process behind it. The comments you make show a clear lack of understanding.

First round picks have a much longer rope.
    I never said they didn't have a longer rope or don't get more chances. Trent Richardson? Seriously? The team that drafted him, Cleveland, got rid of him because he didn't fit their scheme. Indy may have been "embarrassed" in using a first round selection to ACQUIRE him. Big difference. Oh, and Cleveland started a UDFA, Isaiah Crowell, numerous games last year over a third rounder in Terrance West. Point proven right there. The day I need someone like you to explain the draft process to me is the day I stop watching football. I am positively thrilled that you have nothing to do with my team on a professional level.
    Last edited by JoeCool5; 03-30-2015 at 05:38 AM.

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

Blog Entries

Ozzie's philosophy is what it is. He's been doing this for 20 years and 2 different owners. It's not changing. After all this time there is no point yelling and screaming about it. If you don't like it then follow a team that does things they way you do like. There are 31 other choices and there is going to be one that believes the way you do. That's why there are so many people who are not fans of their local teams. They become fans of teams for other reasons than just geography.

Is one high draft pick too much to ask for?jesus. Plenty of picks to go around...except at WR
    I am actually saying that almost every team that drafts a receiver that high they AREN'T as successful as the Ravens. Now that may just be a coincidence, but something to consider is the fact that the Ravens have a tendency to pick in the lower third of the first round most years, which is an indicator of the fact that they are successful, record wise, most years. The teams that identify talent, particularly first round talent, and value that talent at the WR spot all have made their picks ahead of the Ravens each year. When the Ravens,who are more adept at identifying talent on the defensive side of the ball, have their board set up and see the guys fall into place for them to pick, they happen to be defense more often than offense. Because most of the league has identified the offensive players the Ravens would have picked as well. So it would seem that the BPA by the time the Ravens make their pick is usually defense. Is there any arguing tha Mosley was a bad pick last year at an area of great need?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Ozzie's philosophy is what it is. He's been doing this for 20 years and 2 different owners. It's not changing. After all this time there is no point yelling and screaming about it. If you don't like it then follow a team that does things they way you do like. There are 31 other choices and there is going to be one that believes the way you do. That's why there are so many people who are not fans of their local teams. They become fans of teams for other reasons than just geography.
    Truth

Blog Entries

maybe im just missing the other threads, but I dont really disagree with BT here. Not to hijack, but I think its kind of funny to not think a player drafted higher has a better chance. I really dont get the notion that a better WR doesnt make you better either, which some seem to think as well.

Wasnt there a thread back when tandon doss was in line to be a big contributor about success rates of WRs of each round? I forget who posted it, but it wasnt pretty. outside the top 3 rounds theres simply not a good chance of becoming a good player, or even a contributor really. Sure you can list a guy here or there and say its possible, but at the end of the day its like hitting in the lottery. Calling the draft a crap shoot is fine, but you cant just say the entire thing is so it doesnt matter. Those early picks are when the majority of the better skill position (outside RB) are found. period. Not sure why its even a debate.

as to ozzie strategy, its pretty clear he sees more value in a proven vet on his last legs than investing in top graded WR. multiple reasons for that, including typically drafting at the end of the round so the top skill players are usually taken and we take the best of what fell to us rather than reaching for a lower graded WR. Not an issue for me. I dont think its much to ask for them to re-evaluate their process in hindsight, because there definitely has been some good WRs that they passed on for lesser talent and far as we know they have done that. I really think this year is a year where the talent lines up with where were picking so that at some point, well have a WR as BPA. keep in mind that some of this has to do with torrey being a good player. weve either had vets or torrey and a vet. making any addition a 3rd WR and 4-5th option in the offense at best. its tough to think about it that way, but its true. this year things are a little different and i think youll see that change take place.

as far as the topic goes, aldrick robinson I dont see making this team. For one hes not even the best fringe WR, Butler takes that. Also as stated previously, I think we draft a WR and likely bring in another guy as well. well likely carry 6 possibly a 7th again (id rather carry another CB). if we carry 7 its going to come down to he and Butler. the teams high on butler, i like him too, so right now i see no room for him. hes here to compete though.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    I never said they didn't have a longer rope or don't get more chances. Trent Richardson? Seriously? The team that drafted him, Cleveland, got rid of him because he didn't fit their scheme. Indy may have been "embarrassed" in using a first round selection to ACQUIRE him. Big difference. Oh, and Cleveland started a UDFA, Isaiah Crowell, numerous games last year over a third rounder in Terrance West. Point proven right there. The day I need someone like you to explain the draft process to me is the day I stop watching football. I am positively thrilled that you have nothing to do with my team on a professional level.
    Some UDFAs are UDFAs due to talent, others due to character.

Crowell is the latter.

Had he not had character issue, he wouldn't have been a UDFA

Not all UDFAs are created equal, so no, you didn't prove a thing.

And you continually cite one off examples as if they are the norm. They aren't.

People value high round draft picks over later picks. There is no controversy. No revelation. It's the entire premise of a draft.

It's not just WR. We haven't used a first round pick on a RB since Jamal Lewis. Haven't used one on a TE since Heap. Last year was the first time we used one on an LB since Suggs. And we have NEVER used a first round pick on a DE. Or a C.
    "Chin up, chest out."

It seems like this thread is more about those who are concerned that Ozzie just won't draft WR in the first and those that don;t mind if he doesn't.

First thing: There is a about a 70% bust rate for ALL first rounders. "Bust" not meaning strictly JaMarcus Russell bust, but anyone that doesn;t live up to their draft status. Wide receivers are hard to gauge and what seems to be a sure thing can turn into a disappointment. That said, there are more Pro Bowlers from the first round than in later rounds and, for a variety of reasons, not just because they're that much better. Sometimes its a matter of reps which means that even a very capable 5th rounder will suffer because he won't necessarily have the chemistry with his QB. There are exception to the rule, but they're rare.

Second: Elite wide receiver prospects are usually all off the board by the time the Ravens get to pick at the end of the 1st. Given their disposition toward WRs in the 1st and the few opportunities that are afforded them to move up to grab a falling WR, they just won't reach for a guy and prefer to fortify the trenches or defensive backfield. Even then you get players that disappoint like Oher and Elam.

Third: This year the draft is chocked-full of top grade WRs. They won't reach unlessperhaps Amari Cooper falls unexpectedly to around 20 spot (shit happens). There will be receivers available in the 2nd round who have higher ceilings than Torrey does. That is, no doubt, why he became expendable.

Fourth: Selling the farm to move up and draft our Julio Jones and Sammy Watkins just won't happen. The Falcons have had great success him Jones, but how many playoff ganmes have they won since he was drafted? Watkins seemed to have worked out too, but he's one season in and he has no QB (talk about Buffalo putting the cart before the horse). Because the Ravens haven't sold the farm for a bag of beans they've stayed in the play-off hunt for 6 of 7 years.

Fifth: It's all about the conditions being right. CJ Mosely, Timmy Jernigan and Joe Flacco were the right conditions. Torrey Smith as a late 2nd rounder was too, as was Jimmy Smith the late 1st. We can't go beating Ozzie & Co up over what they didn't do. Chances are if they did draft a WR in the 1st and didn't pan out, there would be as much grumbling over that too.
    Last edited by Tenacious Faulker; 03-30-2015 at 09:19 AM. Reason: clean up

Is there nothing that can be done about the dead horse being beaten in every other thread? It's creating a toxic environment.