Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My Best/Worst picks by round

My personal best / Most productive players by round. Some easy, some not.

1st Round MOST: Ogden/Ray, 1996. no further info needed.
    LEAST: QB Kyle Boller/WR Travis Taylor. Boller was at a disadvantage considering his protection and targets. Or was Taylor at a disadvantage with Boller as his QB?

2nd Round MOST: Ray Rice. Too bad that the events of one night have pretty much ruined him, as a player he was terrific.
    LEAST: DT Dwan Edwards '04, DE Dan Cody '05. I get them mixed up; which was an overhyped college player that never delivered in the NFL? Hmm...

3rd Round MOST: OG Marshall Yanda, 2007. One of the best. Props to CB Lardarius Webb.
    3rd Round LEAST: LB Tavares Gooden 2008. Wasted pick.

4th Round MOST: LB Jarrett Johnson 2004, classic role-player, textbook seal-the-edge. A big reason teams ran so poorly against us (still do). Hon mentions to TE Dennis Pitta 2010 (do we win the WB without him?), LB Edge Hartwell 2001, and WR Brandon Stokely 1999.
    4th Round LEAST: RB PJ Daniels 2006. 1 NFL game?

5th Round MOST: Tie between DT Arthur Jones 2010, and LB Pernell McPhee 2011. Took the payday and ran, but they helped us get that 2nd ring.
    5th Round LEAST: RB Chirs Barnes 2001, OG Richard Mercier 2000. Zero games in the NFL as far as I can tell.

6th Round MOST: LB Adalius Thomas 2000. What a versatile weapon. Great value.
    6th Round LEAST: LB Ron Rogers 1998. No NFL games? (I don't recall him honestly)

7th Round MOST: DE DeAngelo Tyson 2012. Productive member of The Rotation. Props to WR Michael Campanaro and OG Brian Rimpf. Production from this far down is almost a bonus.
    7th Round LEAST: I know we don't expect much at this level, but QB Jon Stark 1996, zero NFL games.

UDFA: BEST: LB Bart Scott. UDFA to the Pro Bowl. Many many others--Hurst, Demps, McClain, Ellerbe, Justin Tucker, etc.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Re: My Best/Worst picks by round

I'd say that Boller was worse than Taylor. The Ravens won a Super Bowl with Taylor on hand. Boller wasted years of the Ravens time. Also I'd say that Dwan Edwards was more useful than Dan Cody. Edwards is still in the league today, and if memory serves he got the Ravens a comp pick that turned into someone decent.

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post

For 3rd Round LEAST, I would submit Jah Reid's name (2011) for consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    My personal best / Most productive players by round. Some easy, some not.

1st Round MOST: Ogden/Ray, 1996. no further info needed.
    LEAST: QB Kyle Boller/WR Travis Taylor. Boller was at a disadvantage considering his protection and targets. Or was Taylor at a disadvantage with Boller as his QB?

2nd Round MOST: Ray Rice. Too bad that the events of one night have pretty much ruined him, as a player he was terrific.
    LEAST: DT Dwan Edwards '04, DE Dan Cody '05. I get them mixed up; which was an overhyped college player that never delivered in the NFL? Hmm...

3rd Round MOST: OG Marshall Yanda, 2007. One of the best. Props to CB Lardarius Webb.

4th Round MOST: LB Jarrett Johnson 2004, classic role-player, textbook seal-the-edge. A big reason teams ran so poorly against us (still do). Hon mentions to TE Dennis Pitta 2010 (do we win the WB without him?), LB Edge Hartwell 2001, and WR Brandon Stokely 1999.
    4th Round LEAST: RB PJ Daniels 2006. 1 NFL game?

5th Round MOST: Tie between DT Arthur Jones 2010, and LB Pernell McPhee 2011. Took the payday and ran, but they helped us get that 2nd ring.
    5th Round LEAST: RB Chirs Barnes 2001, OG Richard Mercier 2000. Zero games in the NFL as far as I can tell.

6th Round MOST: LB Adalius Thomas 2000. What a versatile weapon. Great value.
    6th Round LEAST: LB Ron Rogers 1998. No NFL games? (I don't recall him honestly)

7th Round MOST: DE DeAngelo Tyson 2012. Productive member of The Rotation. Props to WR Michael Campanaro and OG Brian Rimpf. Production from this far down is almost a bonus.
    7th Round LEAST: I know we don't expect much at this level, but QB Jon Stark 1996, zero NFL games.

UDFA: BEST: LB Bart Scott. UDFA to the Pro Bowl. Many many others--Hurst, Demps, McClain, Ellerbe, Justin Tucker, etc.
    Dwan Edwards has had a 10+ year career. He wasn't great by any means, but he's been a starter in the NFL for around 6-7 of his years in this league.

Our worst 2nd round picks without question are Dan Cody and Segio Kindle.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Dwan Edwards has had a 10+ year career. He wasn't great by any means, but he's been a starter in the NFL for around 6-7 of his years in this league.

Our worst 2nd round picks without question are Dan Cody and Segio Kindle.
    With Terrence Cody right behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    And didn't he turn into a comp pick that turned out to be a decent player?

Blog Entries

Tavares Gooden best known for chasing down Adrian Peterson from behind. I think that was his career highlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    And didn't he turn into a comp pick that turned out to be a decent player?
    Absolutely. He wasn't ever a high end starter, but it is kind of annoying that people keep bringing him up as if he were this bad player who washed out of the league quickly.

I think that was more of a result of that class being so very underwhelming after not having a first round pick (ironically, in one of the strongest first rounds in the last 15 years).
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    For 3rd Round LEAST, I would submit Jah Reid's name (2011) for consideration.
    Jah is still on the roster. Agree he hasn't produced much. With this O-Line he's had chances.
    Perhaps I underestimated Gooden. I keep getting him confused with Kindle, just like I get Dwan/Cody confused. (didn't know we got a comp pick; good thing about a forum, people can contribute relevant factoids.)
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

4th round pick in 1999, Edwin Mulitalo (OG), sports a Super bowl XXXV ring from 2000... Bc

DeRon Jenkins in the second round. Way worse than Dwan Edwards. I don't know how you can even include him in this list. He may not be a Pro Bowler, but dude is *still* in the league. He's had a productive career.

Cody, like Sergio Kindle, were injury problems. I suppose that makes them unproductive, but I give Jenkins the nod because playing badly is even worse than not playing at all.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    DeRon Jenkins in the second round. Way worse than Dwan Edwards. I don't know how you can even include him in this list. He may not be a Pro Bowler, but dude is *still* in the league. He's had a productive career.

Cody, like Sergio Kindle, were injury problems. I suppose that makes them unproductive, but I give Jenkins the nod because playing badly is even worse than not playing at all.
    Agree, can't fully tank Cody and Kindle because they were injuries that the FO couldn't have factored into their evaluation

There is one looming though
    Arthur Brown

Lest we forget, we traded up with Seattle to get him
    No. 56: Seattle → Baltimore (D). Seattle traded this selection to Baltimore in exchange for Baltimore's second- (62nd), fifth- (165th) and sixth- (199th) round selections.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NFL_draft

We tend to equate "bust" with expected value vs received value comparisons.
    While we are not calling Brown a full bust yet, the addition of a 5th and a 6th to his expected value doesn't help his rating at all, he will easily elevate DeRon above himself unless something changes
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old