Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: No More Blackouts

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    If I could buy every away game I dont have coverage for at $10 a game, I would do it... the ravens are the only team I would watch.... They are only not on in harrisburg maybe 3-4 times.

But I spned 50- 60 $ at a bar with beer food and friends... Id much rather stay home...Id give the NFL $40 ...

I dont need the whole NFL ticket...just let me pay per game when not available locally....win...win
    ^^^^This.

I'd gladly pay per game rather than have to go to a bar and watch.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I don't see how. Each of the networks have multi year deals for broadcast rights and DirecTV just signed a 10 year deal to have the rights for Sunday Ticket.

Broadcast games are here to stay for the foreseeable future.
    I don't think broadcast will go away, but I do think they will experiment with having some pay-per-view games in a season. It wouldn't be that far off from having games broadcasted on NFLN.

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    If I could buy every away game I dont have coverage for at $10 a game, I would do it... the ravens are the only team I would watch.... They are only not on in harrisburg maybe 3-4 times.

But I spned 50- 60 $ at a bar with beer food and friends... Id much rather stay home...Id give the NFL $40 ...

I dont need the whole NFL ticket...just let me pay per game when not available locally....win...win
    I was referring to the feasibility behind it all, given the contracts the networks have signed.

They're not going to do network broadcasts AND pay-per-view. Also, I think you're the outlier in terms of what you watch. The vast majority of Ravens fans will also watch other games as well. The "Other Games" threads of this message board are pretty popular.

Also, Red Zone's ratings / popularity has took off the last few years. People who don't game are buying gaming systems just to have access to it. People who live in the Baltimore viewing area, who don't need Sunday Ticket, are switching to DirecTV just to have access to it.

There's simply not going to be a demand for PPV when DirecTV holds the cards at the moment (and will to continue to hold the cards for 9 more seasons).

Quote Originally Posted by KidSampson View Post
    I don't think broadcast will go away, but I do think they will experiment with having some pay-per-view games in a season. It wouldn't be that far off from having games broadcasted on NFLN.
    There won't even be an experiment. DirecTV and the networks have the broadcast rights for years to come.

There won't even be an experiment. DirecTV and the networks have the broadcast rights for years to come.
    Okay. I think there's a chance there will be.

Quote Originally Posted by KidSampson View Post
    Okay. I think there's a chance there will be.
    How can it possibly happen when the broadcast rights belong to the networks?

I hear the reference to the FCC leaning on the NFL to stop the blackouts. But I always wondered what their TV partners felt. They are paying billions to the NFl for the right to sell advertising, so they can't be too happy when an entire market is shut out. Even if we're talking a small market like San Diego and Jacksonville.

Who knows, but did you hear about this yet:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-bills-in-2015

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    No, your sister-in-law drank it all.
    Beat me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    Who knows, but did you hear about this yet:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-bills-in-2015
    Ok. You lost me on what this has to do with what Kid and I are discussing though.

Ok. You lost me on what this has to do with what Kid and I are discussing though.
    You were discussing how the league couldn't do pay-per-view if Direct TV had broadcast rights, but here is a game being broadcast digitally yet DirectTV, despite their contract, won't be able to provide it for Sunday ticket holders.

You don't think they could take a TNF game or two and experiment with a PPV format? The networks don't own the broadcasting rights to those (I am aware of the CBS production split, but that is half the season and year to year agreement).