Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Cool Anyone else concerned about our scouting?

With the NFL draft about a month away, and looking at the holes we still need to fill going into next season. Im really concerned about the draft. With the exception of Mosley, and that honestly was a gift with Dallas jumping above us cause otherwise wed have Martin a mediocre lineman, instead we were forced to take Mosley and it worked out GREAT for us but wasnt even the original plan! We havent drafted a stud in a long time.

Bottom line. Our scouting over the past 5 years or so, has sucked. Were 1 of 2 only teams who DON'T subscribe to one. Of the WR scouting services. The Pats being the other team and hmmm they havent drafted a good wr either. BUT in any case. OZ has had to make chicken salad out of chicken shit which he has done really well.

My question is, and the internet has not been very forthcoming. WHO are our scouts now, and how long have wehad them and what happened to the guys that found us guys like Ray and Ed and JO and Heap and the pro bowlers weve gotten out of the middle rounds. And guys like Yanda and Jaret Johnson. And etc.... WTF happened to our scouting department? Now were using firsts on guys like Elam, 3rds on Brooks, 2nds on Kindles. I mean wtf has happened?

Does anyone know, or know if were fixing it? Sure have faith in Oz but if hes getting faulty intel its not his fault.

Re: Anyone else concerned about our scouting?

Sounds like you don't have have faith in Ozzie to me OR hyou're trolling. I think that there's been enough discussion on how good Ozzie's record in the draft has been to argue his case for hours.

People have to stop freaking out. Its the draft. Goven how few starter quality rookies there are, even mediocre one wont hurt that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFanatic View Post
    With the NFL draft about a month away, and looking at the holes we still need to fill going into next season. Im really concerned about the draft. With the exception of Mosley, and that honestly was a gift with Dallas jumping above us cause otherwise wed have Martin a mediocre lineman, instead we were forced to take Mosley and it worked out GREAT for us but wasnt even the original plan! We havent drafted a stud in a long time.

Bottom line. Our scouting over the past 5 years or so, has sucked. Were 1 of 2 only teams who DON'T subscribe to one. Of the WR scouting services. The Pats being the other team and hmmm they havent drafted a good wr either. BUT in any case. OZ has had to make chicken salad out of chicken shit which he has done really well.

My question is, and the internet has not been very forthcoming. WHO are our scouts now, and how long have wehad them and what happened to the guys that found us guys like Ray and Ed and JO and Heap and the pro bowlers weve gotten out of the middle rounds. And guys like Yanda and Jaret Johnson. And etc.... WTF happened to our scouting department? Now were using firsts on guys like Elam, 3rds on Brooks, 2nds on Kindles. I mean wtf has happened?

Does anyone know, or know if were fixing it? Sure have faith in Oz but if hes getting faulty intel its not his fault.
    Zach Martin is far from mediocre and the scouting in the last 5 years has brought this team a Super Bowl win.

Not sure what else you want out of them.

So you're not happy with CJ Mosley -pro-bowl, Jernigan - played well enough to let Ravens trade away Ngata, Gilmore - solid looking but not spectacular looking TE, Taliaferro who looked decent last year, Urschel looked very good when called, Campanaro showed promise and Ravens think Urban will be a contributor next year.

Pitta is a good TE, Ravens can't control he has a bad hip. I'm not happy about Arthur Brown and Elam being busts and difficulties of drafting a stud WR, but no organization is perfect.

Ravens make the playoffs almost every year in a division with the Steelers and Bengals, not like the Pats who play in the AFC east with teams that are in constant rebuild mode and can't find a QB.

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    So you're not happy with CJ Mosley -pro-bowl, Jernigan - played well enough to let Ravens trade away Ngata, Gilmore - solid looking but not spectacular looking TE, Taliaferro who looked decent last year, Urschel looked very good when called, Campanaro showed promise and Ravens think Urban will be a contributor next year.

Pitta is a good TE, Ravens can't control he has a bad hip. I'm not happy about Arthur Brown and Elam being busts and difficulties of drafting a stud WR, but no organization is perfect.

Ravens make the playoffs almost every year in a division with the Steelers and Bengals, not like the Pats who play in the AFC east with teams that are in constant rebuild mode and can't find a QB.
    There were plenty of 1st, 2nd, 3rd round busts during this posters "golden years" as well. Mark Clayton? Devard Darling? Dan Cody? All 1-3 round picks who were bad. It's the draft, there are always going to be busts.

Besides that, during the Billick years, the team had more opportunities to pick higher because the team had some years where they finished under .500. Under Harbs, the team hasn't had an opportunity to pick higher than 17.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFanatic View Post

Uh...are you suggesting that the previous scouting department didn't contribute to us drafting busts?

Kyle Boller? Travis Taylor? Deron Jenkins? Jay Graham? Patrick Johnson?

The only recent draft where I think they really blew it to a degree was the 2010 draft. Even then, they managed to draft 2 guys in those mid rounds you're complaining about that got big paydays.

So I'm not really following you. Are you pissed that Ozzie isn't drafting HOF's every draft? And some of those guys you're naming were top 10 picks...We simply have not had that opportunity since Harbs and Joe got here.

Oh...and LMAO at calling Martin a mediocre lineman.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Here's our first two rounds for the last four years:

2011: Jimmy and Torrey
    2012: Upshaw and KO
    2013: Elam and Brown
    2014: Mosley and Jernigan

Obviously 2013 sucked, but take a look at the entire 2013 draft. It's a big, fat bunch of suck.

The other three years, we have nailed every pick in the first two rounds, except maybe taking Upshaw over Alshon Jeffery.

Beyond the first two rounds, there's been players like McPhee, Williams and Wagner. And Tucker as a UDFA.

He acts like the Ravens haven't found mid-late round/undrafted gems in the past five years, ignoring guys like Webb, pre-injury Pitta, Arthur Jones, Pernell McPhee, Ellerbe, Tucker, Brown, Wagner, Williams, Juszczyk, and all the rest. The Ravens scouting department is as good as it gets.

Blog Entries

MFW reading this:

Nothing you say can be taken seriously after calling Martin a mediocre lineman. Clueless, terrible, uninformed post.

I don't think our scouting has gotten any worse over time, but I think it might be true that the rest of league has gotten a bit better so we don't have as many good prospects to choose from.

McNuggets

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    McNuggets
    What kind of sauce?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.