Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Byrne Identity: Who Are The Best Ravens Ever?

How did this turn into a Joe vs Cal than will Joe be a HOFer? Lol.

As far as an Ironman, Joe is playing football and Cal played baseball. Is Favre stat more impressive than Cal? Thats the real comparison for now. If Joe puts up Brett numbers than talk Ironman. As for the HOF. Another ring or 2 and im guessing hed get in. As of right this second? Nope not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFanatic View Post
    How did this turn into a Joe vs Cal than will Joe be a HOFer? Lol.

As far as an Ironman, Joe is playing football and Cal played baseball. Is Favre stat more impressive than Cal? Thats the real comparison for now. If Joe puts up Brett numbers than talk Ironman. As for the HOF. Another ring or 2 and im guessing hed get in. As of right this second? Nope not even close.
    Post #14 tried to, but somehow it didn't take. I suggested Flacco could have a shot as most active QB(ironman like) by the time he retired. Seems Favre has that record at 300 plus games. Baseball skills compared to football would be a stretch. LOL

While most people would not realize it, it actually setting up decently for a Joe HOF bid. Now if we were talking about a running back, after 7 years, we'd probably know by now. The legacy of the modern QB starts late for many of them, when they finally become masters. He to me is just now entering that phase. Before I continue, feel free to dream about Farves's record, it's practically a miracle, 300+ games. I wouldn't bank on that. These first 127 has gotten Joe national attention as a durable player. My primary point is there is a nice foundation layed, and the overdrive years are now the ones coming for the Better QBs. Joes numbers last year was a good launch point into phase two. He has a shot at just destroying PO records.... and as I've said this is where master type play shows up. So while the RBs career is winding down, it's just starting for the Great QBs. He has a reasonable chance, and honestly, his early resume is even stronger than some of the QB gods.

Before someone else says it. Yes, he will need some weapons. Your key TE staring down a career ender, man.
    Last edited by alienstar; 03-24-2015 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alienstar View Post
    While most people would not realize it, it actually setting up decently for a Joe HOF bid. Now if we were talking about a running back, after 7 years, we'd probably know by now. The legacy of the modern QB starts late for many of them, when they finally become masters. He to me is just now entering that phase. Before I continue, feel free to dream about Farves's record, it's practically a miracle, 300+ games. I wouldn't bank on that. These first 127 has gotten Joe national attention as a durable player. My primary point is there is a nice foundation layed, and the overdrive years are now the ones coming for the Better QBs. Joes numbers last year was a good launch point into phase two. He has a shot at just destroying PO records.... and as I've said this is where master type play shows up. So while the RBs career is winding down, it's just starting for the Great QBs. He has a reasonable chance, and honestly, his early resume is even stronger than some of the QB gods.

Before someone else says it. Yes, he will need some weapons. Your key TE staring down a career ender, man.
    Not to the Flacco haters, he hasn't a chance, LOL.

I often say to my friend Flacco Haters, Joe isn't the Best, he just frequently beats the Best , sending them home with that miserable look on their faces.

So apparently there were 52 other names on the list....

I only see a few names I would not put on there:

McNair - he only played 2 years, and only half of that second year. I don't think his tenure warrants inclusion

Priest Holmes - his accomplishments came after Baltimore. You could argue he was stuck behind Jamal, but fact remains he was stuck behind. I would put Willis ahead of Priest on the list. Both played 4 years, but Willis contributed more to the Ravens in his 4.

Mark Clayton - the committee must have given a lot of credence to the lack of a QB to have him on the list.

If I were to take of McNair and Clayton (swap Willis for Priest), Not sure who I'd put on that list to replace. Judging by positions, they tried to go pretty evenly between offense and defense. If anything, it seems light with only 2 tackles and 3 guards. Kelechi is a bit early to put in there.

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    So apparently there were 52 other names on the list....

I only see a few names I would not put on there:

McNair - he only played 2 years, and only half of that second year. I don't think his tenure warrants inclusion

Priest Holmes - his accomplishments came after Baltimore. You could argue he was stuck behind Jamal, but fact remains he was stuck behind. I would put Willis ahead of Priest on the list. Both played 4 years, but Willis contributed more to the Ravens in his 4.

Mark Clayton - the committee must have given a lot of credence to the lack of a QB to have him on the list.

If I were to take of McNair and Clayton (swap Willis for Priest), Not sure who I'd put on that list to replace. Judging by positions, they tried to go pretty evenly between offense and defense. If anything, it seems light with only 2 tackles and 3 guards. Kelechi is a bit early to put in there.
    I think those names were more of the result of roster building...where you have a certain number of players at each position.

Considering what we've had at QB, I think McNair, even with his only 1 solid year, would qualify if you had 3 QB's. We'd have Joe as starter...who's the second and third string guys?

Same at WR.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, it looks like a roster, but you could also work into a depth chart.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Vinny Testaverde could be Joe's backup, on this list. McNair could be third string, because of that one good year.

I agree with those that believe Mark Clayton shouldn't be on the list. Replace him with Derek Alexander. He and Michael Jackson were quite the tandem back in the early days. Too bad our defense was so awful.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Unless I'm reading it wrong, it looks like a roster, but you could also work into a depth chart.
    Yeah, kinda what I thought at first too. But it's not quite a typical roster. How many rosters have 3 QBs, 2 FBs and only 3 CBs? 10 LBs seems a bit much too.

I might consider Samari Rolle and/or Jimmy Smith on that roster. Might be too early for Jimmy, like KO. But there are others on the list with only 2 years of production as well, so maybe not.

I would tend to agree with Derek Alexander over Clayton. Only 2 years in Baltimore, but they were both 1,000 yard 9 TD years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    Yeah, kinda what I thought at first too. But it's not quite a typical roster. How many rosters have 3 QBs, 2 FBs and only 3 CBs? 10 LBs seems a bit much too.
    That was my point earlier with Jermaine Lewis over Jacoby Jones.
    Best team? or best 53? two different criteria

If best team then Jermaine beats Jacoby pretty decisively.

If best 53 then we can have some funky positional distributions
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old