If we were going to replace Boller, Brees makes more sense.
I too would've rather had Brees, but for whatever reason, our FO apparently didn't pursue him. If Brees was off the table, I was happy with McNair and am reserving judgement for now, as I did with Kyle Boller for three seasons (not that I'm willing to give McNair nearly that long).

I just have to wonder - If McNair put up 3,100 yds in TEN last year, 16 TDs, 11 INTs, why can't he do that here this year with better weapons (and get that INT number down a bit)? Or do even better? Even that performance, with our defense, would probably make us solid playoff contenders IF the running game also gets on track. That performance was just last year. He didn't have a major injury at the end of last year; he was well enough to play in the Pro Bowl. By process of elimination, then, these problems probably aren't about McNair's skills. He has the same skill level as last year. It must be about the process of getting accustomed to leading a new offense, the play-calling, the running game or (most likely) a combination.