Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is it me?

Re: Is it me?

If we were going to replace Boller, Brees makes more sense.
    I too would've rather had Brees, but for whatever reason, our FO apparently didn't pursue him. If Brees was off the table, I was happy with McNair and am reserving judgement for now, as I did with Kyle Boller for three seasons (not that I'm willing to give McNair nearly that long).

I just have to wonder - If McNair put up 3,100 yds in TEN last year, 16 TDs, 11 INTs, why can't he do that here this year with better weapons (and get that INT number down a bit)? Or do even better? Even that performance, with our defense, would probably make us solid playoff contenders IF the running game also gets on track. That performance was just last year. He didn't have a major injury at the end of last year; he was well enough to play in the Pro Bowl. By process of elimination, then, these problems probably aren't about McNair's skills. He has the same skill level as last year. It must be about the process of getting accustomed to leading a new offense, the play-calling, the running game or (most likely) a combination.

I've always supported Boller or whoever was the Ravens starting QB (Some of the original posters from the Ravensnest board probably remember my ill-fated "We Believe in Tony Banks" banner I took to the games during the 00-01 season:grbac:

I think that Steve McNair can and will turn things around in the coming weeks based on the reality that he has the offense's total loyalty and respect. They will continue to gel (in my opinion) into an offense capable of producing 2-3 TD scores each game, in addition to whatever our magnificent defense manages to score.

Trust me, being there live in the freezing rain to witness our offense bumble and stumble it's way into the first loss of the season definitely wasn't a highlight of my visit to Denver, however I am willing to give McNair a free pass this time because for the mostpart he's been able to limit the kinds of mistakes he made Monday Night.

I believe that #9 is as pissed off and determined to NOT repeat those scenarios as anyone surrounding the Ravens just based on the interview he gave after the game... Time will tell the tale, however...

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Prove it?! I stated an Opinion which I'll stand by until the Raven's record indicates otherwise. If this team Fails to make the playoffs, then the addition of McNair (in lieu of Sunshine, named affectionately after the QB in the magnificent film, "Remember the Titans") will have not improved this team's relative success over the last couple of years. I believe McNair will deliver! He has attributes which, in my opionion, have been sorely lacking at the QB position ever since Mr Dilfer was released.

"Slick"....hmmm, I like that!
    Goody, I get to verbally pimp smack someone.

Ok, you said the Ravens would be 2-3 at best with Boller right?

Uhmmm... last year the Ravens were 5-2 when the opponents scored 15 or fewer points. This year they're 4-1.

Guess what. That's pretty much the same record. Now before you go posting facts again, I'd suggest you actually do a little checking to make sure you're right.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Goody, I get to verbally pimp smack someone.
    darb verbally pimp smacking someone who needs it. . . priceless!

5. Re: Is it me?

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Ok, you said the Ravens would be 2-3 at best with Boller right?

Uhmmm... last year the Ravens were 5-2 when the opponents scored 15 or fewer points. This year they're 4-1.

Guess what. That's pretty much the same record. Now before you go posting facts again, I'd suggest you actually do a little checking to make sure you're right.
    Please don't compare last year to this year until we are at least half way through the season. It's still way to early to predict where the Ravens will end up this year.

Only thing I've got to say about Boller vs. McNair. When McNair is hit and falls to the ground he is helped up by his teammates. Can't say the same for Boller. What does that tell you?

6. Re: Is it me?

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    I am exaggerating.
    Yes, you are.

The phenomenon I find amazing is how even though we're basically looking at the same exact offense, except with yet another QB, that people actually still haven't gotten that the QB hasn't been the problem. And in order to stick their head in the sand and pretend things are actually better now, they have to start off with "Well, you know I hate Boller and I'm so glad McNair is here, BUT..........." It's baffling because outside of the fact that we've gotten lucky a couple of times, we're 4-1 and that makes people forget that our new QB has a 67 rating and can't seem to move the ball or finish many drives, two things everyone thught was going to magically start happening with Boller out.

What's his road record?
    6-14. That's why he's only 15-13 career or whatever it comes out to. Yes, we know playing on the road was a problem.

The difference is McNair has shown far more comeback ability than Boller ever did.
    You are aware Tennessee was 4-12 and 5-11 consecutively the last couple of years, right? How many times did McNair lead comebacks in those seasons?

This is the type of thing that irks me.

If it doesn't, I fear this team will tank completely because they've already made it abundantly clear that Boller is not their guy.
    And I think he knows they feel that way. So what motivation does he have to come sprinting off the bench to play? Like it or not, Boller is done here. I would be shocked if he resigns when his contract is up. And I think any chance he gets to play until then, he's simply going to use the mindset of playing to audition himself to other teams. You have to figure in 2 years 3-4 teams are going to need to replace their aging Quarterbacks. Why stay in a city that hates him?

Only thing I've got to say about Boller vs. McNair. When McNair is hit and falls to the ground he is helped up by his teammates. Can't say the same for Boller.
    That is the most factually untrue thing I've read yet.

Only thing I've got to say about Boller vs. McNair. When McNair is hit and falls to the ground he is helped up by his teammates. Can't say the same for Boller.
    Funny, I have never noticed that. I wonder why. Maybe because it isn't true.

You are aware Tennessee was 4-12 and 5-11 consecutively the last couple of years, right? How many times did McNair lead comebacks in those seasons?

This is the type of thing that irks me.
    Sorry, but it's true that McNair has shown more comeback ability than Boller. Did you look at this article?. Granted, that article was from before the Denver game, but the overall point still holds. By comeback ability, am I talking about games for Tennessee where they were losing by 3 TDs going into the last few minutes? No - I'm talking about keeping games close enough to get the win, and then actually getting the win. As this article says, "Last season, the Ravens were 1-10 when trailing after three quarters, and four of those losses were decided by a touchdown or less." Look at that, look at McNair's career and 2006 4th Q and last 2:00 numbers, look at how many times Boller has led a 4th Quarter comeback (3 out of 34 starts) and it's clear, for all McNair's faults, we're better off with him. Our defense keeps most games close, and McNair gives us a better chance to win those close games.

Now, I agree with you that changing the QB does not fix all or even most of the problems with this offense. The key to most of our existing offensive problems is the running game.

11. Re: Is it me?

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    Funny, I have never noticed that. I wonder why. Maybe because it isn't true.
    Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    That is the most factually untrue thing I've read yet.
    Sorry, but I saw it for myself in last year's Denver game.

Sorry, but it's true that McNair has shown more comeback ability than Boller.
    This is why I didn't read the article. It's a BS statement. It's hard to mount comebacks when you lose 11 and 12 games a season.

"Last season, the Ravens were 1-10 when trailing after three quarters, and four of those losses were decided by a touchdown or less."
    And how many of those games did Boller play in? He's the one QB last year that DID lead a comeback.

Look at that, look at McNair's career and 2006 4th Q and last 2:00 numbers, look at how many times Boller has led a 4th Quarter comeback (3 out of 34 starts) and it's clear, for all McNair's faults, we're better off with him. Our defense keeps most games close, and McNair gives us a better chance to win those close games.
    Despite having more losses in 2 years than Boller has in 3, you're still talking about an 11 year career over 34 starts. I hope to HELL that McNair has more 4th quarter comebacks in 7 more years on the field. That's a comparison I don't understand. On top of that, only 5 games in, McNair has already thrown almost HALF the number of interceptions as Boller. Does that stat not bother anyone at all?

No one is saying bench McNair. Well, maybe one guy here, but it's not me. We're sinking or swimming with this guy. And I am hoping that Sunday is the day all this crap gets put on the right track and we're talking about the offense doing a 180 and all of a sudden being as advertised. That said, he shouldn't HAVE to be leading comebacks, especially ones because the offense dug the hole in the first place. We should not be praying that the wind can carry that ball 50 yards because the last two SHORT passes were incomplete. We shouldn't be holding our breath over Todd Heap getting into the endzone because Wilcox and Mason drop balls.

Do you really and honestly have faith in our offense this week after watching the last 5 games? Because I don't know many other people that do.