Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: League to consider making Patriots' trick play illegal in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    the play was legal. But the ineligible receive then has to declare on the next play, or take himself out. The way it was explained on SiriusNFL is that he would have to declare on every consecutive play and the officials are to let the defense know. They didn't do that and that was the problem.
    This was Dungy's assessment as well right after the game, and the issue I have been asking about. Need a definitive answer.

The problem is there are more cameras (and subsequent replays) on and around the field than there are officials eyes. We see more, in slow motion, and many more times than officials can from our couch with a beer in our hand and nacho cheese on our chin than the officials do. A half-century ago we would read about the game in the paper the next day and blame the team, or the coach, not the officials as we did not have replay access to the play.

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Trying to change the rule after the game is over is basically admitting they(NFL) screwed up. But as Complex points out, it worked to help the pats achieve what they needed. Same as the cowboys getting away with PI against the lions. Any regular game, that penalty is called, but the nfl let a line judge overrule the call on the field. Nfl in NY didn't even make an effort to review the play, a failure on the league's promise of making sure the penalty called is correct.

Hoping that fan unhappiness lights a fire under the nfl's ass to do better in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    if u aint cheating u aint trying
    Well, that's just bullcrap . . .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    So the league is saying that some deception is legal and other deception is not (Manziel going to the sideline and staying on the field for the snap and catch)

Should change the Patriot logo to a female also. Seems there is more than just can't hit Lady Brady going on.
    That play with manziel was illegal but the refs didnt call it because there was another penalty on the play. I think it was Mike Periera came on during the game and explained why the play was illegal. I dont remember the explanation though

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It was a brilliant, legal and effective strategy by the Pats, who almost certainly stole it from Alabams who did it in an SEC game a few months earlier.. Those Ravens fans who believe it to be illegal or unfair "trickery" might want to remember Earl Weaver's manipulation of the rulebook to gain an advantage. We loved it when Earl did stuff like the Pats did. My favorite is in the link below.
    https://prestonjg.wordpress.com/2009...d-the-dh-rule/
    Yes, they stole the play from Alabama. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Saban and Belichick discussed the play over the phone.

The Patriots, however, threw in an added wrinkle. The Alabama play had an offensive lineman (with a number in the 70's) lining up wide right in the Shane Vereen position, so they didn't have to declare anyone ineligible. (Obviously there was someone further to the right of him, so he was still considered on the interior)

I don't care if they change the rule or not. It was a trick play and now everyone has seen it and should be prepared for it. Then someone somewhere will figure out some new trick play that we will all have to deal with.

Blog Entries

That Manziel play was hilarious. I never saw it in college or the pros but we used it
    in sandlot ball and it always worked. It was a typical bush league play from the Clowns
    which is just one reason why we call them the Clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    That play with manziel was illegal but the refs didnt call it because there was another penalty on the play. I think it was Mike Periera came on during the game and explained why the play was illegal. I dont remember the explanation though
    It was illegal because he was too close to his teams sideline. He has to be five yards or more from his teams sidelines.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It was two plays, neither of which resulted in a score. It had very little, if anything, to do with dropping a 14 point lead twice.
    But a lot to do in a game decided by 4 points. Which is why New England does things like this, because they understand that the little things matter. They don't say that this is a 'game of inches' for nothing. No matter how many mistakes or great plays are made in a game, they tend to end up this close. Where something like this can make the difference. People continuously gloss over that reality, which is why it seems like too big of a deal is made out of what the Patriots get away with.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bst3975 View Post
    This was Dungy's assessment as well right after the game, and the issue I have been asking about. Need a definitive answer.
    Pretty much. To declare ineligible wasn't the issue. Once the drive begins, your status for that first play has to remain that way until your team either calls a timeout or you come out for a play.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    It's a little inaccurate to say the plays didn't affect the outcome when they were a large part of a scoring drive when the Pats had already given up running the ball and their passing game had become entirely predictable. I'll go so far as to say without those two plays and Edelman's pass, the Ravens win that game.
    :word

Personally, I think that if you respect the Pats and the Browns for circumventing the rules, then you should probably buy a copy of that movie "Leatherheads" and watch it on a loop on Sundays. These stupid trick plays stick a thumb in the eye of real strategists who stay between the confines of the game to find a way to beat their opponent. They turn the NFL in professional wrestling. The Pats are playing the refs as much as they are playing the other teams, and to me that's wrong. This ain't NASCAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata_Ate_My_Lunch View Post
    Personally, I think that if you respect the Pats and the Browns for circumventing the rules, then you should probably buy a copy of that movie "Leatherheads" and watch it on a loop on Sundays. These stupid trick plays stick a thumb in the eye of real strategists who stay between the confines of the game to find a way to beat their opponent. They turn the NFL in professional wrestling. The Pats are playing the refs as much as they are playing the other teams, and to me that's wrong. This ain't NASCAR.
    Except the play was totally legal so there was no circumventing.

And I have zero doubt in my mind that all of us (you and I included) would be calling Harbs brilliant and an innovator had he done the same thing.