Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Chris Borland to retire over concussion worries

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Take pads and helmets out...or use soft pads....

I played rugby after college...you learn very quickly how to properly tackle. Without the "invincibility" of the helmet....you learn very quickly to body tackle...
    While it may seem archaic, go to leather helmet exteriors - leather gives and absorbs a level of shock, plastic transmits the shock. Face masks make one feel invincible and incite sticking ones head into situations where it doesn't belong.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbionHero View Post
    If his family is already well off then this decision makes a lot more sense to me. I couldn't imagine someone making this choice if they were raised in a middle class or lower family and finally saw real money for the first time in their life.
    And he has to pay back to the 49ers 75% of his bonus money.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/why-i-play-football/

Nice article written by John Urschel on the subject.

SiriusXM (not sure who comes one before 7 a.m.) brought up an interesting point about whether Borland should return part of his money. I doubt the Niners want the bad PR going after Borland would bring especially when he was on his rookie contract and doesn't count that much against the cap.On the other hand I wouldn't blame them if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    SiriusXM (not sure who comes one before 7 a.m.) brought up an interesting point about whether Borland should return part of his money. I doubt the Niners want the bad PR going after Borland would bring especially when he was on his rookie contract and doesn't count that much against the cap.On the other hand I wouldn't blame them if they did.
    Borland owes the 49ers over $400K from his bonus. If he doesn't volunteer to repay it, the team should demand it especially in light of Borland's father's comments that his son never really intended to play more than one year.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Did he collect a bonus or future money?

If not, I don't see why he should have to pay any money back.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Did he collect a bonus or future money?

If not, I don't see why he should have to pay any money back.
    $617,436 signing bonus on a 4 year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Borland owes the 49ers over $400K from his bonus. If he doesn't volunteer to repay it, the team should demand it especially in light of Borland's father's comments that his son never really intended to play more than one year.
    He is voluntarily paying it back. He said he doesn't want people to think it's a cash grab, so he's only taking the money he's earned.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12...back-3-4-bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I didn't see that anywhere; did I miss a link?
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by I Touchdown There View Post
    I'm not worried for the nfl one bit. As someone said, for every one player retiring, there are many more ready to pounce for their chance
    The future success of the NFL won't be determined by the number of players ready to step in for the early retirees. It hinges on the public's perception of what price is being paid to entertain them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    The future success of the NFL won't be determined by the number of players ready to step in for the early retirees. It hinges on the public's perception of what price is being paid to entertain them.
    If it's about public perception then there is no reason to worry without a ratings drop or major decline in attendance. The number of NFL viewers keeps going up with records being broken every year. Obviously the public isn't concerned or they would stop watching.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If it's about public perception then there is no reason to worry without a ratings drop or major decline in attendance. The number of NFL viewers keeps going up with records being broken every year. Obviously the public isn't concerned or they would stop watching.
    The time for the NFL to worry about a potential drop in ratings is before it happens. Ask MLB and NBA.