Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1920212223 ... LastLast

Re: 2015 RSR Mock Draft - Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Weak inside linebacker class, you know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

DGB goes to the Vikes. I'd personally be surprised if they were willing to take on the baggage. They are under the microscope about as much as we are.

That said, *if* the kid can stay clean, and if his physical measurable can translate into football skills, he and Bridgewater could form a solid duo there for many years.
    "Chin up, chest out."

The Chargers could use some help in the middle of their O-line. With the 48th pick of the draft, they decide to go with a faimliar name to Chargers fans. San Diego selects Laken Tomlinson - Guard - Duke.

Kansas City is now on the clock.

San Diego Picks:

1) Devante Parker
    2) Laken Tomlinson

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    The Chargers could use some help in the middle of their O-line. With the 48th pick of the draft, they decide to go with a faimliar name to Chargers fans. San Diego selects Laken Tomlinson - Guard - Duke.

Kansas City is now on the clock.

San Diego Picks:

1) Devante Parker
    2) Laken Tomlinson
    That's a real good first two rounds for the Chargers
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Oh weird. I tried copying and pasting the repick as a quote to this thread and it threw it to the other one instead.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

As I just posted in the picks thread, I chose Denzel Perryman, ILB, Miami, with the Bills 2nd round pick (their first selection of the draft).

He fills an obvious need after Kiko Alonso and Brandon Spikes have left the organization, and a need that is especially important as the Bills have built an identity as a top-tier defensive team, and absolutely do not want to surrender that distinction by leaving a big hole in the middle of their defense. With some of the splashes made on the offensive side this offseason, and the emergence of Sammy Watkins, the Bills could have their first really solid shot at making the playoffs in several years if they keep their defense playing at a high level.

Perryman is a tackling machine - not tall, but as stout as can be. His build reminds me very much of Frank Gore - short, but thick, and an absolute wrecking ball. He is a violent but sound and reliable tackler. He's got good instincts and a knack for moving off blocks, despite poor quickness. He has a very smooth and deliberate look about him when he plays. Definitely plays downhill against the run, and regularly catches running backs off-guard in the hole and blows them up by getting underneath them. At the same time, he is the "anti-Matt Elam" in that he prioritizes bringing the guy down vs. making a highlight reel hit. This trait is best exhibited on screens and dump offs, where he routinely tracks the back down and ends up sliding past a blocker and wrapping the ball-carrier up around the legs. You almost never see him whiff on a tackle.

His obvious weakness is speed and quickness. He is not really an explosive athlete, and the Bills wouldn't want to depend on him in man coverage except against bigger RBs or TEs. He stands no chance against top athletes at these positions, or any WRs. Despite that, he is actually quite effective in zone coverage at times and will be "good enough" at the NFL level as long as his coordinators don't depend on him for too much.

I think he's unlikely to be a superstar (Miami fans all over youtube who say he's the next Ray Lewis are 100% delusional - they are very different players) but I think he can be a plug-and-play addition who can be a very strong run defender and, with help and practice, adequate against the pass. A "high floor, relatively low ceiling" type of pick.

Blog Entries

Every ILB who looks good in college is the next Ray Lewis. There have been about 20 guys who supposedly were but they all fall short. I like Perryman too but Ray Lewis he is not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Every ILB who looks good in college is the next Ray Lewis. There have been about 20 guys who supposedly were but they all fall short. I like Perryman too but Ray Lewis he is not.
    C'mon, that was Tavares Gooden ;) ... Bc

From the Picks Thread

With the 52nd pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, The Philadelphia Eagles select Quinten Rollin, CB, Miami-OH.

The Eagles continue patching their Secondary together. Rollins was a four year starter and two year captain at PG for the Redhawks earning DPOY in his final season. His transition to the gridiron was about as smooth as it gets as Rollins finished the 2014 season with 72 tackles, 4.0 tackles for loss, 16 passes defended and a MAC-best seven interceptions, which ranked third nationally earning MAC Defensive Player.

Although he saw immediate success, Rollins still has to work out some mechanical kinks that should be expected with only a year of experience under his belt. He has to work on positioning,use of hands and route recognition so a learning curve should be expected. Fortunately with Maxwell holding down one spot, Boykin the Slot and a combo of Walter Thurmond, Nolan Carroll and (2014 4th Round Pick) Jaylen Watkins platooning the other corner spot, Rollins can sit and learn while being put in some packages.
    WR was also an option but with Jordan Matthews, Huff, Cooper and now Miles Austin I could afford to continue address the Secondary with a player that can be pretty special with time and teaching.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    From the Picks Thread

WR was also an option but with Jordan Matthews, Huff, Cooper and now Miles Austin I could afford to continue address the Secondary with a player that can be pretty special with time and teaching.
    The Eagles could really use the help at CB. Rollins is very interesting given his background as a point guard. I haven't seen much of him but have read that he is a top athlete. It's a bit of a risk but the upside could be very high if he hits.

Blog Entries

With the 54th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft the Detroit Lions select Michael Bennett DT Ohio State

The Lions got a little worried when they saw the Bengals going DT just above them but jumped for joy when their guy was still on the board. Once Arirk Armstead was taken it was a long wait of crossing fingers since Michael Bennett was the next player on the Lions list. Bennett is part of the new trend of shorter and lighter Defensive Tackles that we have seen in recent years, similar to Timmy Jernigan and Aaron Donald. They rush inside with speed and quickness instead trying to maul. The result is inside pressure on the quarterback from the D-line which is a lot quicker than the usual DT eating up blockers and waiting for those behind to pressure. No player in this draft can replace Suh for the Lions but Ngata and Bennett give them a new look and allow them to be effective in different ways.

Round 1 Todd Gurley RB Georgia
    Round 2 Michael Bennett DT Ohio State

It was between Bennett and Cooper for the Bengals, but we just liked Cooper a bit more.
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"