Page 1 of 31 123 ... LastLast

Question For us young guys: compare Bert Jones to Joe Flacco

"Young" is relative, I'm 34 and I am not a baby boomer, so by comparison I'm "young". I grew up idolizing Joe Montana as a kid living in the Bay Area before my move to MD. This got me thinking of an era that began right before the Montana era, and Bert Jones came to mind.

How did he compare to Joe Flacco? Did he have Joe's arm strength? Was he more mobile than Joe? Who was more clutch?

Thanks for your insight.

Re: For us young guys: compare Bert Jones to Joe Flacco

They will tell you that Bert Jones was WAY better than Flacco.

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    They will tell you that Bert Jones was WAY better than Flacco.
    Was he?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Was he?
    No idea, I'm 24. The older guys here have discussed Bert Jones a lot and from what I gather they think he would have saved the Colts if not for his injury.

I believe they both have a similar skill set - strong arms, can make every throw in the book and some that aren't in the book but should be. They are both leader, however, in different way. Bert was more of rah rah in your face type leader. Joe is the leader of continuous example - play after play after play.

Bert was more of a 'gun slinger' in the Brett Farve mold in the way he played the position and it caught up with him with his separated shoulder, which became the effective end of his career long before it should have ended.

Joe has been smart and hasn't exposed his body to the types of collisions that Bert endured. That being said, the game has changed greatly in the last 35 years.

Blog Entries

Bill Bilichek said that Bert Jones was the most physically gifted quarterback he had ever seen, Elway included. He was league MVP in 1976 with a passer rating of over 100, which was almost unheard of in that era. We'll never know how great he could have been. As far as comparison to Flacco? Physically, I think he had the edge. Mentally, he could never beat the great teams like the Steelers or the Raiders. He seemed to wilt in those games.

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    I believe they both have a similar skill set - strong arms, can make every throw in the book and some that aren't in the book but should be. They are both leader, however, in different way. Bert was more of rah rah in your face type leader. Joe is the leader of continuous example - play after play after play.

Bert was more of a 'gun slinger' in the Brett Farve mold in the way he played the position and it caught up with him with his separated shoulder, which became the effective end of his career long before it should have ended.

Joe has been smart and hasn't exposed his body to the types of collisions that Bert endured. That being said, the game has changed greatly in the last 35 years.
    They played a lot dirtier back then. I remember Bert. IMO, He had a powerful arm maybe than Flaccos. It's said he could throw a football 100 yards in the air.
    Bill Belichick, gave his choices for greatest quarterbacks of all time, before this years' Super Bowl, listed Bert Jones among them and called him the "best pure passer he ever saw."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...ero-bert-jones

Agree with the prior sentiment, so here's my $.02

I actually think Bert's arm (mid 70s heyday) was slightly stronger than Joe's which is truly amazing. Bert's offense was a more passing friendly (relative to the times of course... most people ran it in 70s). I'd actually say Bert's deep ball accuracy was better than Joe's and it was so sweet seeing a Jones to Carr bomb in 76 (then again Carr was better than Torrey so maybe Joe would have had similar success with the better WR). Jones was the 1976 MVP, so he was a really good regular season QB in 75-77 (better than any regular season Joe has had). But the biggest difference in the QBs to me was Bert came up small in the playoffs game whereas Joe is clutch. If Bert even had a bad Joe game that some fans bitch about against the Raiders in 77, the Colts would have easily won the game and gone to Denver for the AFCC. And Jones significance is really only 75, 76, & 77, so very short window. After his injury, the Colts stunk. I mean Jones was alright... definitely not as great as his peak.. but the team was so bad. Kinda like Matt Ryan the past two seasons. Good QBing... crappy team.

So to me, their really isn't much comparison. Joe is the 2nd best QB in Bmore football history, and its really not close.

I think if Bert played today he would easily rank up there with Breez and Rogers. He was that good. I believe he had a better arm than Brady and was at least as strong as Flacco. If he had access to todays medical technologies and rehab techniques his separated shoulder would not have been his undoing and we would be debating about Joe being the third great franchise quarterback in Baltimore history.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

FWIW -I was away in college when Jones came to town, so many of my memories were from afar. I think mmi and hokies make a pretty good case for what Jones offered. He could throw the ball a country mile, and had a guy named Roger Carr here to catch his passes - IMO, Carr was at LEAST as fast as Torrey Smith, pehaps faster going down field. IMO, Jones had an Achilles' heel which was that his touch on passes was lacking. He seemed to throw every pass as if the revceiever was 40 yards away, and and I always thought with a little more finesse, he would have been a much better passer.

I've never been a fan of comparing two players from totally different eras. The game has changed so much between those two players.

If I recall right, Jones threw the so hard in the short passes, that receivers had a hard time holding on to the ball. So did the opposing players on defense. Not as much high arch as Flacco has. The throws in stride to receivers was better then Flacco.

His durability wasn't as good as Flacco and Flacco has all those post season wins on the road.
    Flacco is here and doing it. Jones is just another QB that played to the best of his ability.
    Flacco is still playing and the future looks good, Raven fans have never had it so good, LOL.
    Last edited by lovefootball; 03-08-2015 at 10:25 PM.