Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: What did we pay for again?

I think one thing people are forgetting in that McNair-Moore-Fasselick debacle is that a play or 2 earlier, they called a short screen pass to Clayton that at the very least looked like Clayton could have gotten to the 1 or 2 yard line tha tMcNair just threw 5 yards over Claytons head.
    Compound that with McNair putting the ball right in Jamals chest on a screenish looking pass, and Jamal simply dropping it. Add to that the continuing woes of Mike Flynn. Calling pass plays after Mike Anderson plowed through the Denver defense twice in a row, and then on top of that pulling Mike out again. And who in their right mind even PUTS Clarence Moore in on that endzone play. My 2 year old son knew what was coming!

I have NEVER called for Brian Billick's head before. But I am starting to really believe it's time for a system change. We're now at what, 9 quarterbacks? We've been through new OC's, new receivers, new QB's, new line coaches. The offense has not played as advertised. And I truely believe in the process of these last 7 years Billick may have ruined 2 potentially good QB's in Boller AND Redman. And McNair is here getting run all over the field and pressured so hard he's making Boller-type mistakes. We've beaten up and for all intents and purposes likely run Boller out of town when all is said and done on the promise that McNair changes the dynamic of the offense. And all of a sudden an 11 year, co-MVP, SUPER BOWL QB is putting up a 67 rating and can't even finish off drives in the endzone?

Not all of that is on McNair. A chunk certainly, but not the entire problem. I've begun to see an alternative of where the problem just might be. :(

I have NEVER called for Brian Billick's head before. But I am starting to really believe it's time for a system change.
    I am in the same boat with you. I have always been a Billick fan and have defended him to the hilt...but this season is his last shot. If we do no better than 10 wins this season, I too will start calling for his head.

Before Billick should be thrown under the bus: it is Oz who has brought in every one of the Ravens QBs. Blame Billick if you want, but please note that no former Ravens acquired by Ozzie has moved on to another team to sparkle.

If Fassel (or Billick) calls for a screen to Clayton and McNair overthrows him by five or so yards, like Raveninwoodlawn pointed out, that's not Billick's fault. I do think that the coaches need to mix up the playcalling, but I'm not blaming Billick just yet for McNair underacheiving up to this point. He has come through in the clutch a couple of times, but overall he just hasn't been very good. I'm still somewhat optimistic that he'll get better, but the lack of deep passes makes me wonder if he's as healthy as he claimed to be in the preseason.

Before Billick should be thrown under the bus: it is Oz who has brought in every one of the Ravens QBs. Blame Billick if you want, but please note that no former Ravens acquired by Ozzie has moved on to another team to sparkle.
    True, there is enough blame for both...except that Oz gets a pass from me because of his draft record.

I know that you disagree where Mac is concerned, but this team is LOADED with talented football players. The Ravens are short on gameplaning and execution and both of those problems fall directly to the HC.

I know that you disagree where Mac is concerned, but this team is LOADED with talented football players.
    I don't know that even T is saying McNair isn't talented. For his experience alone, he has to be. But this team is not QB friendly, and really what we've done is picked up a QB that is likely 2-3 past his peak, and hoped for the best.

I don't know that even T is saying McNair isn't talented.
    He clearly has been a talented QB, with lots of guts, game savvy, and leadership qualities. He used to be a top 10 QB, especially when complemented by Eddie George and Frank Wychek.

Notwithstanding, after seeing him (mostly in person) in a scrimmage, 4 exhibitions, and 5 games, I have a few concerns that he is not going to overcome. i.e.: giving him half the season to get adjusted to the playbook.

My first concern is that McNair's body may be functioning as if he is lot older than his 33 years. That's been obvious since the Redskins scrimmage. His loss of arm strength is obvious, but also he doesn't attack like he used to as a Titan. Of perhaps greater concern, after Monday night's game, is his decision making. As dumb a call as it was, McNair's decision to throw the pick to Bailey, who had position on Moore, in the end zone was worse. And the second interception, he had a running lane of at least 10 yards, but chose to soft toss into double coverage.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

I have NEVER called for Brian Billick's head before. But I am starting to really believe it's time for a system change. We're now at what, 9 quarterbacks? We've been through new OC's, new receivers, new QB's, new line coaches. The offense has not played as advertised. And I truely believe in the process of these last 7 years Billick may have ruined 2 potentially good QB's in Boller AND Redman.
    Damn,4-1 and on the hotseat.The crazy thing about it.I agree as if the above was written in stone.I hope it turns around and we are all talking out of where the sun don't shine.But Billicks stranglehold on this offense is choking the life out of it.Year after year.

Has he lost some CD's from his offensive guru collection or something?:grbac:

I thought this season would ride on a more even keel.But are we hitting that first dip in the usual Raven rollercoaster ride?The game vs the Panthers will tell us alot.If the offense is still sputtering,even against that great Panther D,
    then prepare for more hair loss,head banging against the wall,and nail biting.
    Our Raven hearts are lined with protective concrete by now surely?After all this QB exasperating we have gone through.It makes me want to .

All I can say is,"Say it ain't so offense."
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

It's not even the playcalling as much as it's the entire system. It's about having weeks where the team on one side of the ball, or both, aren't ready to play and look listless. It's about making comments about how halftime adjustments are overrated, and going on to getting your ass kicked because you didn't make any.

It's about wasting our 2nd round pick on a tackle that hasn't seen a snap this year outside of Odgen's injury and some preseason action. Or a 2nd round LB that hasn't seen the field since preseason despite playing his ass off. Shouldn't a 2nd round pick be making some sort of impact on the playing field even in his first year or two?

And if Billick has Ozzie's ear as much as it;s been written, considering the whole "Boller was Billick's guy" stuff, then how has Billick not fought Ozzie for some proven legitimate OL help the last couple of years? Guess what? Leon Searcy was 5 years ago, get over it. There were two guys from Green Bay to choose from last year, and a couple this offseason. If Billick could see Mike Flynn was no longer the answer at Center, there were not one, but TWO stud centers in the draft; one of which we could have had in the 2nd round.

There are a few things about Billick that has begun to bug me. Those are my starting points.

I hope it turns around and we are all talking out of where the sun don't shine.
    RavenTD, I am very much with you. My wife and I will be at the game Sunday. I'd love to be able to chime in on the gamethread Sunday on my Blackberry with a nice "It's about freaking time" post.

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Ritter View Post
    No, I think what has "bugged" you most is Billick and Ozzie got McNair instead of upgrading the OL, which confirmed you were totally wrong about the OL being the main problem. The Raven's main problem as I and other had tried to point out to you repeatedly on the other site was the QB. Ozzie and even Billick finally was smart enough to realize it. McNair has shown this to be the case beyond dispute and you cannot bear it. Admit it, that is what has bugged you, the obvious fact you were wrong. Even now you can't bear to admit it can you?

Obsession ...... :insane:
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

T, I want you to work on a way so we can not only ignore this guy, but a way to block his quotes too
    It's like you're at a stockholders meeting and some crazed doofus starts screaming about evil demons swimming in all the watercoolers.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Unfortunately someone made the decision to let us see his posts again. I don't know why, because it's been nothing but the same shit since then. Apparently he actually CALLED one of the mods and cried like a schoolgirl, and now we're back to having to put up with it.

It's like you're at a stockholders meeting and some crazed doofus starts screaming about evil demons swimming in all the watercoolers.
    I used the analogy of a bunch of friends up at the bar having a conversation, and this guy continually trying to butt his 2 cents in when it's obvious no one really wants to talk to him. But he keeps saying the same thing over and over anyway.

EXCEPT:
    Tex Ritter
    This message is hidden because Tex Ritter is on your ignore list.

We have this. The easy solution is just for everyone to do this manually. Then we don't have to worry about him inserting his unwanted self into our conversations.

It's been working great for me.
    Last edited by StingerNLG; 12-23-2006 at 06:56 PM.