Blog Entries

Shack Harris Retires

James 'Shack' Harris the Ravens original pro personnel director is retiring from the NFL. The stories I always heard was that Shack Harris was instrumental in bringing guys like Siragusa, Woodson and Sharpe. There were a lot of free agents in the early years of the Ravens and they were critical components of the 2000 Super Bowl team. Thank you Mr. Harris for you contributions to the Ravens and I wish you a happy and healthy retirement.

Outside of the Ravens Shack Harris has been an executive several teams including the Jaguars and Lions. Harris was also the very first black quarterback to start a season in the history of the NFL. We don't really think about it today but in the early 70s that must have been a big deal. Harris went to the Pro Bowl as a Ram in 1974. He's one of those real interesting NFL guys who has been around forever much like Dick LeBeau. I'm glad for him that he is going to get to enjoy some down time but the Lions and the NFL just lost one of the great guys in the league.
    Last edited by GOTA; 02-28-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Re: Shack Harris Retires

BS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    James 'Shack' Harris the Ravens original pro personnel director is retiring from the NFL. The stories I always heard was that Shack Harris was instrumental in bringing guys like Siragusa, Woodson and Sharpe. There were a lot of free agents in the early years of the Ravens and they were critical components of the 2000 Super Bowl team. Thank you Mr. Harris for you contributions to the Ravens and I wish you a happy and healthy retirement.

Outside of the Ravens Shack Harris has been an executive several teams including the Jaguars and Lions. Harris was also the very first black quarterback to start a season in the history of the NFL. We don't really think about it today but in the early 70s that must have been a big deal. Harris went to the Pro Bowl as a Ram in 1974. He's one of those real interesting NFL guys who has been around forever much like Dick LeBeau. I'm glad for him that he is going to get to enjoy some down time but the Lions and the NFL just lost one of the great guys in the league.
    I always heard that Phil Savage was the brains behind Ozzie. He got the first GM job of the assistants and in fact recommended Harris for the Jags GM job when he
    turned it down. He also suggested Del Rio as their coach and both were hired on
    his say so.

Shack had a lot of firsts like Ozzie but Oz got him fired after he fleeced him for those
    picks trading down and then back up to get Flacco while his guy didn't turn out so
    hot.

Also, I read that Marchibroda was instrumental in bringing Goose here. Goose loved him
    in Indy and didn't like the new coach. Marchibroda wanted Goose and asked the FO
    for him. Also, when McCrary was signed he suggested that Sam Adams might want to
    come here so Ozzie got him to and went to the SB with them.

But congrats to a good guy and I hope he enjoys retirement as much as I have
    and I only have a fraction of money that he has.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-02-2015 at 02:18 AM.

UTKevinAcee @UTKevinAcee · Former #Chargers GM AJ Smith has decided to retire from the NFL. Got this picture from him. Such a sentimental guy.