Page 1 of 255 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Deflate Gate Thread

Folks, this thread is dedicated to the ongoing situation involving the accusations of the Patriots using deflated footballs during the Indianapolis Colts games. Commentary should be directed towards that theme.

The last thread got WAYYYY off topic and devolved into needless banter back and forth between a few Ravens and Patriots fans. Let's keep this thread on topic please. Trolling, insults, and other TOS violations will be dealt with accordingly. If you're unsure about the TOS, please review it. If you see something that you think violates the TOS, then please use the report function. That said, this is a highly debated topic and input from other fans' perspective is welcomed.

On To Deflate Gate:

Facts:
    • The NFL requires all footballs (regardless of temperature) to be inflated between 12.5 and 13.5 PSI.
    • Each team is responsible for providing their own footballs (as per rule change circa 2006).
    • Refs do not measure or inspect the balls for proper inflation before a game.
    • Some have suggested that an NFL ball could lose nearly 2 PSI in certain conditions, such as going from warm temperatures to very cold temperatures.
    • The temperature during game time was (IIRC) around 45-50 degrees, so that is not what most would consider "very cold temperature".
    • During a play in the first half, D'Qwell Jackson intercepted a pass from Tom Brady.
    • Jackson took the ball and handed it to the Colts' equipment manager as a souvenir.
    • When asked, Jackson claims that he did not notice if the ball was deflated more than normal.
    • The equipment manager seems to be the one that noticed the deflation variance and reported it to the Colts coaches and staff.
    • The variance was brought to the attention of the refs who then inspected 12 footballs on the Patriots' sideline during halftime.
    • Initially, it was reported that 11 of the 12 inspected balls were around 2 PSI lower than the 12.5 PSI minimum.
    • A follow-on report suggested that only 1 ball was indeed below the 12.5 threshold.
    • All of the New England balls on the sideline were re-inflated to the proper PSI before the start of the 2nd half.
    • The Patriots led 17-7 at the half and scored another 28 points in the 2nd half to win 45-7.
    • An investigation from a 3rd party was initiated after the Patriots win over Indianapolis.
    • Patriots' Head Coach, Bill Belichick, indicated that he had no knowledge of deflated footballs.
    • Patriots' QB, Tom Brady, also indicated that he had no knowledge of deflated footballs and that (as of 22 January) the NFL had not contacted him about it.
    • On 27 January, a video was leaked showing a Patriots' equipment staff member taking 12 footballs into the bathroom for approximately 1 Minute and 30 Seconds.
    • On 1 February, investigative reports indicated that the intercepted ball was indeed deflated by about 2 PSI, but the others in question were minimal.
    • During the investigation, an official was discovered to have been selling game balls for personal profit. His employment with the NFL was terminated thereafter.
    • On 17 February, ESPN reported that a Patriots' staff member attempted to insert an illegal "K-Ball" (ball designated for kicking only) into the game.

Speculation:
    • The Patriots switched their balls to a back up set before the 2nd half started, so they did not use the re-inflated balls.
    • A "source" informed Mike Florio of PFT that 10 out of the 12 Patriots' footballs were indeed deflated about 1 PSI lower than the minimum 12.5 PSI.
    • Ryan Grigson, the Colts' GM, informed the NFL prior to the AFC Championship Game that they had reason to believe the Patriots were using deflated game balls.
    • That led to speculation that the Baltimore Ravens may have tipped the Colts prior to their game (this has since been vehemently denied by the Ravens).
    • Boomer Esiason alleged that after the ball was intercepted, the Colts' equipment manager purposely deflated the ball in an attempt to embarrass the Patriots.
    • Esiason also alleged that the Ravens were involved with the purposeful deflation.
    • The Patriots have a remarkably low fumble percentage for the past few seasons, which has led some to speculate that they've been using deflated balls for quite some time.

At this time - for all we know - the investigation is ongoing.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: The Deflate Gate Thread

I think it is a non-story. Many fans are just looking to continue the entire "cheatriots" narrative regardless of anything the Patriots do. They whipped the Colts like mashed potatoes. Just my opinion on the matter of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    I think it is a non-story. Many fans are just looking to continue the entire "cheatriots" narrative regardless of anything the Patriots do. They whipped the Colts like mashed potatoes. Just my opinion on the matter of course.
    :word

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    I'm kind of in the same boat at this point. I do believe that most teams - including the Ravens - are always looking for ways to gain a competitive advantage; even if that is just a 1-PSI difference in a football. So, in that regard, do I think that the Patriots were indeed using deflated balls? Probably. They've probably been doing it for years. I've no doubt that other teams do it as well. Just like Jerry Rice admitting to using stickum on his gloves back in the day. I guarantee you that he was not the only high profile player using stickum on their gloves. If the refs and the league aren't monitoring for it, why not? Jerry Rice is a HOF'er with multiple Super Bowl wins, NFL receiving records, and he has been (and will continue to be) the comparative apex in which all receivers are compared.

At this point, I just don't care.

My only hope is the NFL learns from this and pays more attention to what team's equipment managers and staff are doing while on the sidelines before and during a game. I dont think it would be a big deal for the head ref to go and check out each game ball before the game starts. Other than that? Who cares....just move on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm kind of in the same boat at this point. I do believe that most teams - including the Ravens - are always looking for ways to gain a competitive advantage; even if that is just a 1-PSI difference in a football. So, in that regard, do I think that the Patriots were indeed using deflated balls? Probably. They've probably been doing it for years. I've no doubt that other teams do it as well. Just like Jerry Rice admitting to using stickum on his gloves back in the day. I guarantee you that he was not the only high profile player using stickum on their gloves. If the refs and the league aren't monitoring for it, why not? Jerry Rice is a HOF'er with multiple Super Bowl wins, NFL receiving records, and he has been (and will continue to be) the comparative apex in which all receivers are compared.

My only hope is the NFL learns from this and pays more attention to what team's equipment managers and staff are doing while on the sidelines before and during a game. I dont think it would be a big deal for the head ref to go and check out each game ball before the game starts. Other than that? Who cares....just move on with it.

Good summary though.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

They'll get fined, possibly a draft pick taken and it will be over. Thankfully.

I hate that I got wrapped up in the initial tempest in a teapot. But then a long line of football observers, mostly on SXM, started telling stories of how all teams take liberties in some form or another, that this is no big deal, I began to see this in a different light.

I just want it to die at this point. I do admit though I am taking a small bit of satisfaction that the Pats fans will have to deal with the cheater tag for years to come. Call it penance for years of accusing Ray Lewis of being a murderer.

Blog Entries

The underlying issue here is that a large contingent of everyday football fans will never get over the 'seemingly' light punishment the Patriots got off with from Spygate, only justified by it's somewhat unprecedented nature, but still lacking the heavy hand that was perceived to be equal to the act itself.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The underlying issue here is that a large contingent of everyday football fans will never get over the 'seemingly' light punishment the Patriots got off with from Spygate, only justified by it's somewhat unprecedented nature, but still lacking the heavy hand that was perceived to be equal to the act itself.
    I don't think the contingent that believe the Spygate punishment was light is anywhere close to being "large".

They're most certainly the loudest and most persistent though.

It seems to have become an article of faith in New England that the Colts will be found guilty of deflating the ball and fined a draft pick.

Like everyone else, I don't know what the investigation will show, but their fans' willingness to embrace the most far-fetched outcome as likely is remarkable. Other than Boomer's off the wall assertion, is there ANY evidence to support this claim?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bst3975 View Post
    It seems to have become an article of faith in New England that the Colts will be found guilty of deflating the ball and fined a draft pick.

Like everyone else, I don't know what the investigation will show, but their fans' willingness to embrace the most far-fetched outcome as likely is remarkable. Other than Boomer's off the wall assertion, is there ANY evidence to support this claim?
    If that one ball was the only ball found to be deflated, then that absolutely comes into play.

My only question is how in the world are they going to investigate that? Those balls from THAT game have already been tampered with, disposed of, inflated, deflated completely for storage...or who knows what else?

I just don't think this can be investigated.

It's all speculation at this point, no one except the investigators and people who disclose the deflated balls story know what happened. If true, the guilty on the team know. Oh, and the ball handler, maybe,LOL. No one on RSR has a clue and can't say anything at all on this investigation.
    It has been a great source of entertainment to see who says what and their opinions. Those trying to sell their viewpoints with their background are doing just that. Some are buying(Pats fans surely) and some are not(football fans that want an honest investigation because of pats history on pushing the limit of legal).

Assuming the investigation will reveal their verdict before the nfl draft, but that's my opinion. Maybe the nfl waits until next season seeing how they need time to investigate. Maybe wait till next weather so they can replicate the weather theory, LOL.
    Thanks to the pats for giving RSR something to talk about since Jan 19. Would have been tough to just talk about how the ravens should have been in the SB if they had beaten the pats.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Basically this in a nutshell. I mean whether they get punished or not..... I dont know if even really matters. Its not like they'll have their title stripped like the NCAA.
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect