Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Double J Retires!

One of my all time favorite Ravens.

Though I don't think he will get RoH. Keep in mind on field accomplishments only get you to the door. It's stuff like community outreach that gets you past the door and I don't think JJ was all that involved in the community.

Not sure he did enough in the field anyway. Close though.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    If Todd Heap is in the RoH, the JJ should be. They are almost the same guy on different sides of the ball. But of course, I don't think Heap should be in either. This is the way standards slowly slide down. "Well, if this guy is in, then this other guy should be."

I love JJ. One of my favorite Ravens of all time. If there were statistics attached to the things he did he'd have made many Pro Bowls. We need a JJ Day at the stadium, but Ring of Honor? Almost, but not quite in my book.
    Wait, what? You don't think Heap should be in the RoH? He raised the bar in regards to what the Ravens expect from a player, both in terms of ability AND in professionalism/character on and off the field. How anyone could listen to years of "HEAP" after every big play and not think he belongs stuns me. He's the first player to have their own chant hear .JJ, I don't think belongs. He was a a great blue collar player, much like Kelly Greg, who exceeded expectations but Heap set the standard as far as what it meant to "play like a Raven" IMHO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    One of my all time favorite Ravens.

Though I don't think he will get RoH. Keep in mind on field accomplishments only get you to the door. It's stuff like community outreach that gets you past the door and I don't think JJ was all that involved in the community.

Not sure he did enough in the field anyway. Close though.
    fan favorite, but id agree, not quite RoH worthy. as good as he was he wasnt really that special/dominant of a player for us even. Just a real solid player that brought it every day.

He had a great career for sure.
    -JAB

Love JJ and his time here...quintessential Raven...through and through.

As far as Heap and JJ in the ROH don't understand anybody not wanting Heap in the ROH and Heap clearly deserves it significantly more than JJ IMHO. JJ never recieved any postseason awards that I can remember...Heap made an All-Pro team and a couple pro bowls and was the only legit passing game option for the vast majority of his career/prime...JJ was a good cog, but certainly not the main one of our defense.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Love JJ and his time here...quintessential Raven...through and through.

As far as Heap and JJ in the ROH don't understand anybody not wanting Heap in the ROH and Heap clearly deserves it significantly more than JJ IMHO. JJ never recieved any postseason awards that I can remember...Heap made an All-Pro team and a couple pro bowls and was the only legit passing game option for the vast majority of his career/prime...JJ was a good cog, but certainly not the main one of our defense.
    I'm pretty sure he donated $1 million to Franklin Square Hospital too.

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he donated $1 million to Franklin Square Hospital too.
    Indeed. Heap was just amazing ...

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/200...ranklin-square

Blog Entries

yeah im not sure why Heap wouldnt be worthy. That guy was everything the Ravens stand for on and off the field.
    -JAB

JJ, Suggs, and Ngata allowed the Ravens to dominate versus the runs even when the nickel was on. He was one of the great edge setters of his era.

We watched him play here and I have to admit I didn't see much of him in San Diego, but it sure looks as if he was a player the Ravens allowed to walk at exactly the right time. He wasn't terrible for SD, just not worth the big paycheck.

With regards to the RoH, he'll always be a treasured part of my football memories and I'm sorry he missed his chance to play in SB XLVII. Kelly Gregg and he deserve similar RoH consideration and may eventually be included. He's a cut above other contributors like Birk, Grubbs, Mulitalo, Sharper, Boldin, Starks, Burnett, and Siragusa.

The player I believe is most deserving among those not yet in (or planned to be in) is Rod Woodson.

Current players who will go include Ngata, Yanda, Suggs, and Flacco. All of those guys are already many strides ahead of JJ/Gregg.

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    JJ, Suggs, and Ngata allowed the Ravens to dominate versus the runs even when the nickel was on. He was one of the great edge setters of his era.

We watched him play here and I have to admit I didn't see much of him in San Diego, but it sure looks as if he was a player the Ravens allowed to walk at exactly the right time. He wasn't terrible for SD, just not worth the big paycheck.

With regards to the RoH, he'll always be a treasured part of my football memories and I'm sorry he missed his chance to play in SB XLVII. Kelly Gregg and he deserve similar RoH consideration and may eventually be included. He's a cut above other contributors like Birk, Grubbs, Mulitalo, Sharper, Boldin, Starks, Burnett, and Siragusa.

The player I believe is most deserving among those not yet in (or planned to be in) is Rod Woodson.

Current players who will go include Ngata, Yanda, Suggs, and Flacco. All of those guys are already many strides ahead of JJ/Gregg.
    I have slight issues with guys like Birk, Grubbs,Boldin, and Woodson getting in. The guys on the list (except for Byner) are primarily associated with the Ravens, as they spent most of their careers there. That can't be said for Birk,who spent most of his time as a Viking, Grubbs, who is a Saint, Boldin, who only played three years here and was a Cardinal for most of his career and looks to finish as a 49er, and Woodson, whose Raven tenure was three seasons, in a 17 season career that had him playing on four teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post

I love JJ as well and there is no doubt he was an unappreciated player in Ravens history. I'd like guys in my ROH to at least make a pro bowl or 2 though.

Same with Gregg. Gregg, JJ, Heap, and to a significantly lesser extent, Mason, I feel for those guys not getting a ring...they were a significant part of the journey to getting that ring in Feb 2013.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

People are again falling into the trap of using 'just' on field accomplishments decide who goes into the RoH.

Here's the criteria: http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/...-of-honor.html

One thing that seems to be common amongst the Biscotti era inductees (and a trait that's not listed in the above criteria) is community service.

If Bisciotti stays true to his past, I don't see JJ or Gregg getting in to the RoH.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    People are again falling into the trap of using 'just' on field accomplishments decide who goes into the RoH.

Here's the criteria: http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/...-of-honor.html

One thing that seems to be common amongst the Biscotti era inductees (and a trait that's not listed in the above criteria) is community service.

If Bisciotti stays true to his past, I don't see JJ or Gregg getting in to the RoH.
    I don't know about community service, but JJ certainly embodied just about everything on that list while he was here. Not sure why you don't see him getting in.