Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: An (out of the box) solution to the Pitta situation

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    The NHL and NFL aren't the same with the salary cap.
    You're right, the NHL is technically more unforgiving, but they've allowed the Pronger injury to go on LTIR - essentially he's on the cap, but if he doesn't play his cap hit is added to the Flyers cap roll.

Quote Originally Posted by PDO20 View Post
    You're right, the NHL is technically more unforgiving, but they've allowed the Pronger injury to go on LTIR - essentially he's on the cap, but if he doesn't play his cap hit is added to the Flyers cap roll.
    I'm sure there have been other teams face with the Pitta situation, maybe the owners are interested in your thoughts. Bet they would listen and get the nfl to change the rules.

Why not, it worked for brady and manning on handling gameballs, LOL.

So the question is, and I'm far from a cap or CBA expert...

... why can't Pitta retire, only to be hired as a TE coach at an exorbitant salary?

Is that not win-win? Pitta still gets his money and additionally his health. Ravens don't have to worry about cap concerns from an unreliable player.
    It's prohibited by the CBA.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Where'd you read that his base is guaranteed except retirement?
    His $4M base salary is fully guaranteed. The only way it won't be owed if is he retires.

Otherwise, there's really no way he's not going to be a Ravens in 2015, even if that means he spends the whole year on IR or PUP.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

I'm sure they would - but coaches aren't part of the CBA. You could argue that because of his excellence on the field he would be a great addition to the coaching staff.

Risky, sure, but surely worth exploring?
    Don't you think teams have been exploring these type of ideas since the salary cap started? It wouldn't be too hard for the NFL to spot the retired player now being the highest paid position coach in history.

It wasn't too long ago that they penalized the Redskins $36 million in cap space for what they considered to be manipulation during the uncapped year. Any team doing what you suggest would get penalized the same way.

Cool Re: An (out of the box) solution to the Pitta situation

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    The NFL really does need a better mechanism for this sort of thing. Teams shouldn't be punished because of freak injuries. What if a $120M QB had a career ender?
    When Tom Brady trips over his ego and breaks his back they will!

Otherwise, they will do what they always do best...Nothing!

7. Re: An (out of the box) solution to the Pitta situation

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    This.
    The league office has already anticipated someone trying your idea, PDO20, and outlawed it. The Ravens only options are to keep Pitta and see if he can play (highly doubtful) or IR him to avoid a bigger cap hit which would come with releasing him.

Caveat emptor. In the past Ozzie learned a lesson when he reached for Boller and swore he would never duplicate that again(Billick would agree). A QB does not carry the same risks as other players who are more likely to suffer a career ending injury or just lose that competitive edge. In hindsight, the Pitta contract was generous considering the injury he suffered beforehand.

The same could be said of Webb and his ACL. So was RR's considering he's a RB who have shorter careers in general. Even Ngata with the contract numbers that would challenge the best defensive players to match performance for pay at 16m.

Having said that, Ozzie is one of the best. As much as I hate to admit it, Belichick is still the master, but even he has had his missteps.

So the question is, and I'm far from a cap or CBA expert...

... why can't Pitta retire, only to be hired as a TE coach at an exorbitant salary?
    Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    There is your answer (from a cap and CBA expert) as to why the Ravens couldn't do this.

What more is there to discuss? end of thread . . .

Blog Entries

The NFL really does need a better mechanism for this sort of thing. Teams shouldn't be punished because of freak injuries. What if a $120M QB had a career ender?
    Then you deal with. I just think to many teams would use a rule like that against the spirit of it.

Blog Entries

That's why you don't guarantee the whole contract. Colin Kapernick has a career ending injury and the way that $126 million contract is structure the 49ers would only have $9.8 million in dead money.

Blog Entries

No news seems like bad news regarding pitta, and that makes me sad.