Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: 2015 Offseason: Ravens Roster Moves

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    You know, it can't be overstated how important Special Teams is on the winning and losing of the game. Field position is critical, and the punt coverage and kick-off coverage guys are critical in this regard. If you lose the ST's battle, you will often times, lose the game.
    I agree special teams is important, but there should be a balance between ST players and developmental players, and I think our roster was slanted too much towards ST players.

Also, kickoff return coverage really isn't as important as it used to be because everyone is kicking touchbacks these days.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstatsman View Post
    If Mosley or D. Smith gets injured and A. Brown plays well as a replacement, then, yes, I'd prefer a starting caliber defensive player over a special teams player who shouldn't see the field on offense or defense.
    I'd rather take the best players no matter where they play. A guy like Miles has proven that he can play on defense when he has to as well as excel at special teams. If it came down to Miles or Brown for a roster spot I'm keeping Miles and cutting Brown.

The reality is that you don't know if Brown or any other developmental player really could be a starter. No one knows but whatever he's shown the Ravens in practice has been keeping inactive for most of the year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'd rather take the best players no matter where they play. A guy like Miles has proven that he can play on defense when he has to as well as excel at special teams. If it came down to Miles or Brown for a roster spot I'm keeping Miles and cutting Brown.
    Amen to that... Miles, while not a STAR, is actually a productive Raven. Meanwhile, A. Brown, 2nd draft choice aside, has been a non-entity in the Ravens defense or Special Teams. I'm not going to say he's a "bust" yet, but in the last two years he has surely been on that dreadful road AND he cost us draft picks to move up in the 2013 draft... Bc

On the Ravens app on my phone it's saying the Falcons have a lot of interest in Forsett... If he gets a big deal I definitely would let him walk. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    On the Ravens app on my phone it's saying the Falcons have a lot of interest in Forsett... If he gets a big deal I definitely would let him walk. Thoughts?
    That's actually been discussed on another thread. Thing is that if they (Falcons) overpay for him, which the Ravens would not match or exceed, most wouldn't be unhappy with a 2016 comp pick (4th or 5th ?) ... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post

There is a whole other thread on that topic. Check it out and you'll see a lot of responses.

I been out the loop the past week or so I have to catch up and do some reading tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Amen to that... Miles, while not a STAR, is actually a productive Raven. Meanwhile, A. Brown, 2nd draft choice aside, has been a non-entity in the Ravens defense or Special Teams. I'm not going to say he's a "bust" yet, but in the last two years he has surely been on that dreadful road AND he cost us draft picks to move up in the 2013 draft... Bc
    Well Brown hasn't played so we really don't know if he's a bust or not. Matt Elam, on the other hand, looks like a bust because we've seen him play and it's obvious he sucks.

I'd say Miles's safety play borders on "sucks", but he is a very good ST player. Miles had plenty of chances to play last year and couldn't distinguish himself from Elam, Stewart, etc. Not a great sign when those guys are beating you out for playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post

The reality is that you don't know if Brown or any other developmental player really could be a starter. No one knows but whatever he's shown the Ravens in practice has been keeping inactive for most of the year.
    Understandable, it is a defensible position, but maybe I just have different ideas about how I'd like to see the roster constructed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstatsman View Post
    Well Brown hasn't played so we really don't know if he's a bust or not. Matt Elam, on the other hand, looks like a bust because we've seen him play and it's obvious he sucks.

I'd say Miles's safety play borders on "sucks", but he is a very good ST player. Miles had plenty of chances to play last year and couldn't distinguish himself from Elam, Stewart, etc. Not a great sign when those guys are beating you out for playing time.
    OK, so let's look at it this way... how come Elam was given a chance to start/play and A. Brown wasn't? Keeping in mind that when each was drafted, there was need at their respective positions. IMO the Ravens coaching staff has seen both in off-season/training camp/practice sessions and concluded Elam should be given a chance (which I must admit he has not taken advantage of), but Arthur Brown was not even thought of as worth lining up @ ILB. Now Miles at least is a solid Special Teams player, and apparently the coaches believe he's competent enough to slot into Safety when the need arises. That's more than we can say for Art Brown considering they kept Zach Orr on the roster instead of him... Bc

Blog Entries

Damn, 2 pages for one roster move of ST player.

Is it possible to have a thread just for moves and another for commentary?

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    OK, so let's look at it this way... how come Elam was given a chance to start/play and A. Brown wasn't? Keeping in mind that when each was drafted, there was need at their respective positions. IMO the Ravens coaching staff has seen both in off-season/training camp/practice sessions and concluded Elam should be given a chance (which I must admit he has not taken advantage of), but Arthur Brown was not even thought of as worth lining up @ ILB. Now Miles at least is a solid Special Teams player, and apparently the coaches believe he's competent enough to slot into Safety when the need arises. That's more than we can say for Art Brown considering they kept Zach Orr on the roster instead of him... Bc
    Elam got a chance because there weren't any top guys at SS. In Browns case Daryl Smith and C.J. Mosley were ahead of him at ILB. Which one of them are you benching to see if Brown is any good?