Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Which WR/CB solution would you prefer?

We have some obvious holes to fill, but the most focus for fans is WR & CB. So that made me think about some different solutions. Which would you prefer?

1. Sign B. Marshall (If released) and draft a CB on day 1?

2. Draft a top WR and sign a top CB like Flowers or Maxwell?

3. Sign a lesser CB, WR, and Charles Clay type TE for insurance. Draft the best players available?

4. Look to fill these needs through the draft due to our lack of cap space. Hope to get some quality June 1 releases?

5. None of the above.

What would you do improve these positions?

Re: Which WR/CB solution would you prefer?

Draft a top WR and sign a top CB like Flowers or Maxwell.
    Please Ozzie, don't trade down

I've been one of the biggest cheerleaders on the board for Brandon Marshall if he's released. As long as he's healthy, he's a monster in Trestman's system and is a perfect fit for us--the kind of WR who will help take Joe Flacco and the passing offense to the next level.

I'm not concerned about his "character" at all. John Harbaugh, this locker room, and the chance to legitimately compete for a Lombardi will keep him in line.

I don't think that precludes us from drafting a WR early, either. We have a critical long-term need at the position--Steve Smith is due for the glue factory any day now, Marshall is a 3-4 year guy, and even if somebody emerges from the Marlon Brown/Kamar Aiken/Michael Campanaro group, they still need talent at WR and/or TE.

The one thing I would NOT do is sign a top CB in FA. I'm not a believer in that strategy. In today's NFL you can get good corners in any round of the draft--the key is to draft them often, develop them well, and pay the money to keep them once they're developed. I don't think you do well buying high on another team's guy.

Draft a WR and CB early. There's plenty of good ones that can be had in the first two days, as it looks right now.

Last edited by WrongBaldy; 02-21-2015 at 05:22 PM.

Blog Entries

I would prefer to sign a vet cornerback because it typically takes a few seasons before young corners hit their stride. Id love to add a vet and then draft a corner in rounds 3-4.

There are some really nice WR prospects this year and I feel like a lot of them could step in and help this team from the first practice.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

My preference for the corner position is to use their first pick to get their future lock-down guy, and then sign a veteran for depth who can also play special teams.

I don't think the first pick needs to go WR. There is good depth in the middle rounds and I like some of the talent in the wings, with our without resigning Torrey. I like Rashad Greene in the fourth or so, or Jaelen Strong in the second.

I think we draft a cb and WR and then go for a released veteran. There are always some big names released that have gas left in the tank.

I also think that Marshall is definitely going to get released, there is a possibility he ends up here. It all depends on if he wants money or a championship.

I am all for drafting a corner early, because even if we sign a decent corner you can never have enough as we saw last season.

You have immediate needs :
    offense at RB,TE, WR.
    Defense at CB,S

WR is turning out to be a decent group this season
    Decent CB group
    Handful of good TE
    Terrible S class
    And a great RB class

Unless a top WR or CB falls you can take BPA since its a deep draft. Corner or WR will most likely be the 2nd rd pick with RB and TE taking a fourth and a comp. at S you need to take a chance on a thumper like prewitt or Collins.

I personally want:
    1: best DE or OLB for the future
    2: justin hardy
    3: duke Johnson
    4: top CB
    4(comp):TE
    6: DE
    7: returner so we can dump jacoby

Who knows the draft never goes as planned

I want that young WR from the draft, someone like DG-B who can grow and mature here for several years. As for CB, I think we'll address that need through the draft, as well.

Presuming both Jimmy and Webb come back healthy, I don't think we necessarily need to draft a CB high, or get a big name CB in FA. Just having solid depth behind them would be adequate, and IMO solid depth can probably be had at a reasonable cost in FA. Somebody did a pretty interesting breakdown on the main site the other day:

http://russellstreetreport.com/2015/...-ufa-db-class/

I think there's a few serviceable guys on that list that wouldn't break the bank. And if there are any roster cuts, that could expand that list and be more in line with the sort of signing Ozzie seems to prefer anyway.

The bigger problem is who is the safety next to Hill? Elam looks like one of the worst picks in Ravens history at this point, Brooks looked iffy at best, and what else? Think everyone else who was a safety last year is gone, unless they're brought back for ST reasons.

So... like wicked, I'd prefer a vet CB, and draft whatever offense is there, with a CB later as a development guy. But I really don't know what the answer is at safety, either in the draft or in FA, and that is what worries me most... again, presuming that Webb and Jimmy are healthy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    Presuming both Jimmy and Webb come back healthy, I don't think we necessarily need to draft a CB high, or get a big name CB in FA. Just having solid depth behind them would be adequate, and IMO solid depth can probably be had at a reasonable cost in FA...
    IMO that is an awfully BIG presumption to make/dismiss. JSmith will be coming back from a serious injury, Webb has recently not played up to his multi-million $ contract, and we really don't have adequate replacements/back-ups on the current roster. mike, I think you're underplaying the need @ CB. I would sign a veteran CB AND draft one high (within the first 3 rounds). In today's NFL, having 3 competent CBs is not a luxury but a necessity... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    IMO that is an awfully BIG presumption to make/dismiss. JSmith will be coming back from a serious injury, Webb has recently not played up to his multi-million $ contract, and we really don't have adequate replacements/back-ups on the current roster. mike, I think you're underplaying the need @ CB. I would sign a veteran CB AND draft one high (within the first 3 rounds). In today's NFL, having 3 competent CBs is not a luxury but a necessity... Bc
    It's not that serious. I saw on Twitter that he's doing well and has been working out for a couple of months already.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.