Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Is it worth trading up for Amari Cooper in this year's draft?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    But who wouldn't trade an extra first for Dez Bryant or Odell Beckham?
    Beckham was the 3rd WR drafted in 2014; Bryant was the 2nd WR in 2010. Hindsight is always 20-20.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    IIRC, the Ravens don't have a 4th or 5th round regular pick (comp picks aside), so I do not see Ozzie trading up in this draft. Trading down may be a different story, depending on the circumstances... Bc
    The Ravens do have a 4th round pick. They have their own first four picks, no 5th rounder, Dallas' 6th rounder, and Miami's 7th rounder. Their original 5th rounder went to Tampa Bay for Jeremy Zuttah, their original 6th rounder went to Cleveland for Michael Campanaro, they swapped their 7th for Dallas' 6th in the Rolando McLain deal, and they got Miami's 7th for Bryant McKinnie. They are projected to get 3 compensatory picks (Jamison Hensley projects those to be 4th, 5th, 6th rounders). That would be 9 picks total, three of which cannot be traded.

With 9 picks, I can't see us drafting 9 players. I feel we draft 6-7 players meaning we trade up at somepoint. Just my speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    With 9 picks, I can't see us drafting 9 players. I feel we draft 6-7 players meaning we trade up at somepoint. Just my speculation.
    With only (I think) 41 players under contract, I think the Ravens have a lot of room to fill out the roster. Sure, they will get a free agent or two perhaps, plus sign some of their own guys, but it's not out of the realm of possibility to draft 9 guys. Their last four drafts have been 9 (2014), 10 (2013), 8 (2012), 8 (2011), and most of those guys ended up in a Ravens' uniform. I think that's becoming the trend, especially in light of the push against the salary cap the Ravens are facing. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them trade out of the 1st round to get additional picks, and then use the tradable ones to maneuver into position to get the guys they want.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Beckham was the 3rd WR drafted in 2014; Bryant was the 2nd WR in 2010. Hindsight is always 20-20.
    Nick Saban could be whispering into his old buddy Oz's ear ... Cooper is from Bama, and Mosely made up for the whole Cody thing. Maybe he's thinking its time to roll tide! Gimme some of that Cooper!

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    IIRC, the Ravens don't have a 4th or 5th round regular pick (comp picks aside), so I do not see Ozzie trading up in this draft. Trading down may be a different story, depending on the circumstances... Bc
    I was really trying to reframe the thread's original question because the premise of it is preposterous. While I can't assume the Ravens don't have a really high grade on Cooper, I tend to agree with the notion that trading down for more picks is a good idea in this draft. The Ravens formula assumes you get some picks right and some wrong. Scout well and ultimately more picks will increase the infusion of new talent, especially those in the first 4, maybe 5 rounds. Few first rounders in this draft have that elite feel to them. Last year was markedly different.

Blog Entries

The Ravens do have a 4th round pick. They have their own first four picks, no 5th rounder, Dallas' 6th rounder, and Miami's 7th rounder. Their original 5th rounder went to Tampa Bay for Jeremy Zuttah, their original 6th rounder went to Cleveland for Michael Campanaro, they swapped their 7th for Dallas' 6th in the Rolando McLain deal, and they got Miami's 7th for Bryant McKinnie. They are projected to get 3 compensatory picks (Jamison Hensley projects those to be 4th, 5th, 6th rounders). That would be 9 picks total, three of which cannot be traded.
    Thanks a b... I've also read that there's a possibility that we can get a 7th round comp pick for Ed Dickson. If so, then it's the best thing he's done for the Ravens... Bc

Besides that, it's football: There's no guarantee that Dez Bryant or Odell Beckham don't tear their ACL in the first preseason game and miss the entire season.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    But who wouldn't trade an extra first for Dez Bryant or Odell Beckham?

You can't keep missing on these guys. Ozzie had a chance to not even give up a second round pick when Belichick called him and asked if he wanted Dez. Ozzie said no, leading Belichick to accept Dallas' offer. The rest is history. Even more mind boggling is that they passed him up for a guy who crashed his *expletive* car into a building and fled the damn scene.
    Given the rate at which future picks are discounted, I'd never trade a future first round pick away for any non-QB. There's just very little likelihood that any non-QB could ever be valuable enough to justify allocating two first picks for.

With only (I think) 41 players under contract, I think the Ravens have a lot of room to fill out the roster. Sure, they will get a free agent or two perhaps, plus sign some of their own guys, but it's not out of the realm of possibility to draft 9 guys. Their last four drafts have been 9 (2014), 10 (2013), 8 (2012), 8 (2011), and most of those guys ended up in a Ravens' uniform. I think that's becoming the trend, especially in light of the push against the salary cap the Ravens are facing. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them trade out of the 1st round to get additional picks, and then use the tradable ones to maneuver into position to get the guys they want.
    Putting it that way, maybe they do use those 9 picks or maybe even more. Like you were saying the salary situation this year makes that possible. I also agree that trading out of the 1st rd is certainly possible considering the depth of positions of need in this particular draft. It is a draft compiled of players that the Ravens need.