Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Time for the media to stop broacasting news about ISIS

After today's news on Isis beheading a group of people, I think the media should stop giving them exposure to the world.I consider it advertisement for Isis with people seeing it and wanting to join their group. Same with military strikes against Isis, it gives radicals motivation to seek revenge.

Re: Time for the media to stop broacasting news about ISIS

ISIS is releasing these videos on their own, not through the media.

Personally, I don't think it's shown enough. There seems to be little widespread outrage over this.

Yeah I agree with Houston. Not visible enough.
    The idea that bombings against ISIS is really a recruiting tool is painfully naive.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Yeah I agree with Houston. Not visible enough.
    The idea that bombings against ISIS is really a recruiting tool is painfully naive.
    Wow, news said 20,000 recruits going to Syria, wonder why. Interesting view, you say give them more exposure so people can see the atrocities they do. Experts have said with these atrocities, people in that part of the world fear them even more.
    Just like the wars that bush started didn't help the recruitment for al- queda, SMH

Time for the media to stop broacasting news about ISIS

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Wow, news said 20,000 recruits going to Syria, wonder why. Interesting view, you say give them more exposure so people can see the atrocities they do. Experts have said with these atrocities, people in that part of the world fear them even more.
    Just like the wars that bush started didn't help the recruitment for al- queda, SMH
    For one, the U.S. doesn't have a monopoly on media. If we stopped showing / reporting on it, there's still media outlets in dozens of other countries all around the world with the same access. How do you propose media outlets in Europe, Asia, South America, etc simply stop reporting on what's a very compelling and serious news story?

Second, just because an outfit may be using the media to spread their message doesn't mean you stop reporting on it.

Third, and frankly, I could care less how they're using the media. They may get short termed success from a few headlines but they're seriously losing the PR war with every atrocity that gets exposed / broadcast. Hell, even Jordan media is now writing friendly stuff about the US.

That just falls in the reason they hate us is because we bomb them category. It simply isn't true. They hate us because they want to spread their brand or extreme Islam and impose it on the rest of the world.

Your logic is that people who are beheading people for sport are attracting new recruits based on the portrayal of it. Stop and think about the people who are 'recruited' because of that. You really think we could get those type of people on our side? The people who think 'hey these guys are brutally beheading people' that's for me?

That just falls in the reason they hate us is because we bomb them category. It simply isn't true. They hate us because they want to spread their brand or extreme Islam and impose it on the rest of the world.

Your logic is that people who are beheading people for sport are attracting new recruits based on the portrayal of it. Stop and think about the people who are 'recruited' because of that. You really think we could get those type of people on our side? The people who think 'hey these guys are brutally beheading people' that's for me?
    Exactly my logic and you agreed that certain people are inspired by the beheadings. Those people are all it takes for terrorism. The news stations show the world what going on with isis and people are okay with it.

Stop giving them time in the news, stop publicizing their acts of brutality. Their going to murder people one way or another, being on the front page gives them what they want, exposure. There will always be people who want to live that life.

The bombing is because of the beheadings and murder. For a while Syria turned a blind eye until the pilot was executed. Egypt now retaliates because of yesterdays murders. If they only murdered non Americans, the US would not bomb them either. Putting pictures and news of beheadings should not be a common day occurrence, no one wants to see or hear it.

Isis grew while murdering innocent people during their expansion of territory. No big deal to the world, as long as it happened in that part of the world. Isis will be around for a long time, using islam as an excuse to murder is their reason to get other Islamic people involved. The converts see this as a way to get back at society, because they were not happy with their current lives.

:word

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

These videos are on the internet. Is anybody proposing censoring the internet.

The nuts that are recruited find these videos on the internet. I haven't seen them shown on TV yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    These videos are on the internet. Is anybody proposing censoring the internet.

The nuts that are recruited find these videos on the internet. I haven't seen them shown on TV yet.
    Just the stories alone in the paper and on TV are what I'm referring to. The latest terrorist act in Denmark , the news reports the gunman was inspired by the terrorist act in Sweden. The reports of recruits joining Isis is not the result of a recruiting program, it's because of the exposure Isis is getting in the news. The media is a power instrument.

Censorship will not happen in democratic countries, but Isis has tried to censor the people it controls.

Just the stories alone in the paper and on TV are what I'm referring to. The latest terrorist act in Denmark , the news reports the gunman was inspired by the terrorist act in Sweden. The reports of recruits joining Isis is not the result of a recruiting program, it's because of the exposure Isis is getting in the news. The media is a power instrument.

Censorship will not happen in democratic countries, but Isis has tried to censor the people it controls.
    So now even the covering of news events is aiding ISIS? So who's gonna draw the line at what is OK to cover and what is not OK to cover for safety reasons? The public needs to be made aware of the true threat being posed. It cannot be brushed under the rug.
    Are you really afraid that our Western values cannot hold up against the barabarities that ISIS promotes? Are we really gonna lose the heart and minds of the vast majority of people because ISIS shows their brutality? It seems the Jordanians have turned against ISIS specifically because of their tactics and mass distribution of the images of it. The world didn't rise up and oppose Hitler early enough because 'they didn't know'. We need to show everyone who ISIS is and what they stand for. I'm confident that our values will win out over the values of ISIS.

So now even the covering of news events is aiding ISIS? So who's gonna draw the line at what is OK to cover and what is not OK to cover for safety reasons? The public needs to be made aware of the true threat being posed. It cannot be brushed under the rug.
    Are you really afraid that our Western values cannot hold up against the barabarities that ISIS promotes? Are we really gonna lose the heart and minds of the vast majority of people because ISIS shows their brutality? It seems the Jordanians have turned against ISIS specifically because of their tactics and mass distribution of the images of it. The world didn't rise up and oppose Hitler early enough because 'they didn't know'. We need to show everyone who ISIS is and what they stand for. I'm confident that our values will win out over the values of ISIS.
    Understand all that you posted. Through the news, the world gets to see the barbaric acts Isis has done and has been doing. The world has been slow to respond because they are not united yet in handling Isis(in my opinion).
    Why continue with the media exposure, Isis revels in it . They film these acts so they can show the world what they can do. My point is stop showing these films, stop giving them prime time. Report the news but no more pictures or films. Young people do not need to watch this group on TV.

If your happy with it , good for you. Me, it gives the impression that it's okay to show images of murder, and that's wrong.