Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

What to do with $54 million in Cap Space?

That's the question the Browns face this offseason. All that space and they still can't find a QB.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2015/2/...n-in-cap-space

The first stage in that process is to look at the Browns' cap space heading into the 2015 offseason. The Browns enter the 2015 offseason with the third highest cap space in the NFL at about $52.40 million. The only teams with more cap space are the Jaguars ($64.42 million) and the Raiders ($53.95 million).

One reason the Browns' cap space is high is because they are rolling over $18.91 million of the space they had in 2014 (as long as they inform the NFL that they are doing so by February 24). The salary cap has been estimated at $142 million for the upcoming season by several media outlets, although the NFLPA has contested that they feel it will be much higher. When you factor in the amount the Browns are rolling over, their salary cap is estimated at $160.91 million, which is the second highest figure in the NFL. Let's break these numbers down in a more formalized manner:

NFL 2015 Salary Cap (Projected): $142.0 million
    Browns' Rollover from 2014: $18.91 million
    Browns' 2015 Adjusted Salary Cap: $142.0 million + $18.91 million = $160.91 million

How much money do the Browns already have committed toward the 2015 salary cap? To determine that, we need two figures: the top 51 salary cap figures on the team, and the amount of dead money that was committed to players who are no longer here. For example, we cut RB Ben Tate last year before the end of his contract, but he'll still count for $750,000 against the cap this year. That is dead money -- we can't do anything about it.

Browns' Top 51 Cap Total: $107.0 million
    Browns' Dead Money for 2015: $1.51 million
    Browns' Total Cap Spent for 2015: $107.0 million + $1.51 million = $108.51 million

When you subtract the two subtotals above ($160.91 million - 108.51 million), you can see how the "$52.40 million in cap space" figure was derived.

Re: What to do with $54 million in Cap Space?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    One reason the Browns' cap space is high is because they are rolling over $18.91 million of the space they had in 2014 (as long as they inform the NFL that they are doing so by February 24).
    They're incompetent enough to forget to notify the NFL about the rollover. And they're incompetent enough to spend the money poorly. They'll probably offer McPhee $40 million.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Those amounts shared by those three teams is just absurd.

Give Brian Hoyer $25 million.

I think if you can, you keep pushing some of that cap space into the future until you draft/sign a franchise QB. IIRC the browns have had oodles of cap space for a while now, and I'm guessing that trend will continue until they have something worth spending it on.

The interesting thing is the cash spending requirements in the new CBA. IIRC teams' cash spending has to be a certain percentage of the salary cap over certain periods (2013-2016 and 2017-2020). Since the Browns probably already had a bunch of cap space heading into 2013, maybe they've just been treading water, and their cash spending is on pace. Otherwise, they could have to spend a lot of cashover the next two offseasons. That could mean some long-term deals with signing bonuses paid in 2015 and 2016.

I wonder if we'll see a trend where crappy teams that don't have enough decent players to spend money on in the first part of these 4-years period end up having to spend a bunch of money at the end of those periods. I'd think that would inflate free agent prices in the off-seasons towards the back of those 4-year cycles and deflate free agent prices in the off-seasons towards the front of those 4-year cycles. Savvy teams who picked up on this could focus more of their free agent shopping towards the front end of the 4-year cycles.

Just an idea. Not convinced there's anything to it.

What about the requirement that teams must spend a certain % of the cap - not sure but would guess at least 90%

Blog Entries

theyre in trouble. the top free agents they have all want to leave. No top Free Agents are going to want to go there.

equates to highly overpaying for not top tier talent... just like they always do.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Give Brian Hoyer $25 million.
    I don't know about the number, but I'd definitely re-sign him. He's the closest thing they have to an NFL QB.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

That's one team you really can play GM in a Madden football sense. We all know the free agent lists and who is likely to hit the market and who isn't. The Browns also have the most drafts picks of any team before the compensatory picks come out. That includes 2 1st round picks. So with all that ammo what do you do?

If it were me I would pay DeMarco Murray. Usually I wouldn't pay a RB but with that much space you go for the biggest offensive bang out there and that's Murray. I would then pay up to keep Hoyer who is someone you can win with if there's enough talent. Next would be Doug Free to replace the not very good Mitchel Schwartz at RT. That gives them a line to block for Murray. Greg Hardy who is now not going to trial would be on my list. Hardy could be reasonable considering his issues and bad teams tend to overlook character issues more than good teams. The last piece would be Torrey Smith. A deep threat with Murray would be a great combination. That would be my $54 million in cap space, at least to start
    Last edited by GOTA; 02-10-2015 at 03:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    theyre in trouble. the top free agents they have all want to leave. No top Free Agents are going to want to go there.

equates to highly overpaying for not top tier talent... just like they always do.
    Yup - they'll get some takers who want that big payday. Can't blame the guys for that, but it's a tough way to build a team of men who want to be there. And everyone knows the owner will blow it up in a year or two anyway

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Its all over twitter that they want to move up and draft Mariota. Not sure why they would want this info leaked but I digress. Here's a quick article but there is other info out there.. what a team

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskin...bcs&ocid=yahoo

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Its all over twitter that they want to move up and draft Mariota. Not sure why they would want this info leaked but I digress. Here's a quick article but there is other info out there.. what a team

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskin...bcs&ocid=yahoo
    so I see their horrible player evaluations hasnt changed. Mariotta is dropping on everybody's boards because they dont think hell be able to transition easily, if at all, but Cleveland makes him a must have worth trading up for.

if he has a bad pre-draft Mariotta could easily fall just as bad, if not worse than Rodgers did.
    -JAB