Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 63
  1. #25

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]



    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Those are 2 of the most competitive states in the country in areas where we have no history or notoriety. Those are the absolute wrong states to be in.

    I'd rather actually get 4 or high 3 star guys who can recruit states near me than taking the scraps in Florida and Texas.
    I think the scraps of Florida or Texas (3 stars) are better than a lot of 4 stars that come from MD and the Northeast, which is what they're banking on. I mean they get a guy like Likely from Florida who was overlooked by the big programs and he's the best player on the team.





  2. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    44,097
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    wtf does he even have internal organs? dude turns sideways and he will disapear ....
    He certainly is lanky. He's only 18 though. He'll fill out. If he hits the gym hard he'll bump up into the 230's easily.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

    RIP #25





  3. #27

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    Tyrod at VT is about as good as its gonna get in a Frank Beamer offense. And VT can't get guys in the Hampton Roads area now too, so don't fret MD fans.

    I honestly hate recruiting with a passion b/c you know its dirty as hell. Logically, why would some of these 5 star HS kids go to an Alabama that has 3-4 other 5 star upperclassmen at your same position. Go to a school where you can start as a freshman. Makes no sense. That's why I think Alabama Defensive guys fail in the pros. Sure, the scheme highlights your skills and you play next to a bunch of other 5 star guys. But you have to wait to start until you're a JR & SR and then you don't play enough to learn your position fully.

    Recruiting stars doesn't translate to how you are as a NFL prospect. JJ Watt was a two star guy.





  4. #28

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    I think the scraps of Florida or Texas (3 stars) are better than a lot of 4 stars that come from MD and the Northeast, which is what they're banking on. I mean they get a guy like Likely from Florida who was overlooked by the big programs and he's the best player on the team.
    You can't build your program on 1 or 2 kids from Florida or Texas.

    The vast bulk of the kids we need to get to compete are going to have to come from MD, DC, VA, NJ, and PA.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.





  5. #29

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    You can't build your program on 1 or 2 kids from Florida or Texas.

    The vast bulk of the kids we need to get to compete are going to have to come from MD, DC, VA, NJ, and PA.
    Sure I agree, that's Locksley's bread and butter.

    I mean, I agree that the results have been lackluster but I really don't have a problem with the way they are going about it. Locksley is the main local recruiter. Stewart focuses here as well. You have Richardson going to Florida to pull a few underrated guys and McCardell going out to hopefully pull the same in Texas.

    Meanwhile, Stewart, McCardell and Richardson have the built in recruiting pitch of "Does your kid want to play in the NFL? These guys have coached there. You want them coaching your kid."





  6. #30

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    You can't build your program on 1 or 2 kids from Florida or Texas.

    The vast bulk of the kids we need to get to compete are going to have to come from MD, DC, VA, NJ, and PA.
    Sure I agree, that's Locksley's bread and butter.

    I mean, I agree that the results have been lackluster but I really don't have a problem with the way they are going about it. Locksley is the main local recruiter. Stewart focuses here as well. You have Richardson going to Florida to pull a few underrated guys and McCardell going out to hopefully pull the same in Texas.

    Meanwhile, Stewart, McCardell and Richardson have the built in recruiting pitch of "Does your kid want to play in the NFL? These guys have coached there. You want them coaching your kid."





  7. #31

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Sure I agree, that's Locksley's bread and butter.

    I mean, I agree that the results have been lackluster but I really don't have a problem with the way they are going about it. Locksley is the main local recruiter. Stewart focuses here as well. You have Richardson going to Florida to pull a few underrated guys and McCardell going out to hopefully pull the same in Texas.

    Meanwhile, Stewart, McCardell and Richardson have the built in recruiting pitch of "Does your kid want to play in the NFL? These guys have coached there. You want them coaching your kid."
    You are putting way too much faith in those 2 guys IMHO.

    Wow...Richardson while at Miami (one of the best schools in the last 30 years) recruited Duke Johnson who is from...Miami. I hardly count that as something we should look forward to. And I'm still waiting on McCardell to get someone from Texas. In fact he got out recruited by Indiana in the end for his one Texas recruit.

    Again, if you were already getting a lot of good players from the local states, I'd have no problem grabbing a few from other states.

    The priority...HAS to be the local area...there are a ton of high quality players from VA, MD, NJ, PA and DC...and we have nothing...no presence in PA or VA, barely anything from Jersey and are fighting to hold on to just a few of our own big name guys in the PG/Mo County/DC area...not to mention Baltimore might as well be in another state.

    Grabbing a few kids out of Florida and Texas is not going to improve the program when you don't have the base and the base are the local states and Locksley can't do it alone...especially outside of the PG/DC area.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.





  8. #32

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    You are putting way too much faith in those 2 guys IMHO.

    Wow...Richardson while at Miami (one of the best schools in the last 30 years) recruited Duke Johnson who is from...Miami. I hardly count that as something we should look forward to. And I'm still waiting on McCardell to get someone from Texas. In fact he got out recruited by Indiana in the end for his one Texas recruit.

    Again, if you were already getting a lot of good players from the local states, I'd have no problem grabbing a few from other states.

    The priority...HAS to be the local area...there are a ton of high quality players from VA, MD, NJ, PA and DC...and we have nothing...no presence in PA or VA, barely anything from Jersey and are fighting to hold on to just a few of our own big name guys in the PG/Mo County/DC area...not to mention Baltimore might as well be in another state.

    Grabbing a few kids out of Florida and Texas is not going to improve the program when you don't have the base and the base are the local states.
    Brendan Moore is a RS Frosh from Texas and is already the favorite to start at Center next year. McCardell has only been here two years but already he's pulled a young possible starter, who was a 3 star.

    Also Richardson's lists of top recruits is a lot longer than just Duke Johnson.

    I don't think there's any question there has been more focus on local recruiting than under Ralph. They already have 2 DeMatha recruits signed for 2016 and Ralph was notorious for his inability to develop a relationship at that local powerhouse. They have gotten the one of the top two players out of Maryland the past 3 of the past 4 years (Diggs, Damien Prince, Adam McLean). They've opened up pipelines with Gilman again, a school which hadn't sent a commit to Maryland in 20-30 years. They've gotten top DC players the last two years (Gray, Boulware).

    They definitely aren't focusing recruiting efforts on out of state players while sacrificing local recruiting. The priority is, and has been, local recruiting since Edsall has been here, definitely more so than Ralph.





  9. #33

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Brendan Moore is a RS Frosh from Texas and is already the favorite to start at Center next year. McCardell has only been here two years but already he's pulled a young possible starter, who was a 3 star.

    Also Richardson's lists of top recruits is a lot longer than just Duke Johnson.

    I don't think there's any question there has been more focus on local recruiting than under Ralph. They already have 2 DeMatha recruits signed for 2016 and Ralph was notorious for his inability to develop a relationship at that local powerhouse. They have gotten the one of the top two players out of Maryland the past 3 of the past 4 years (Diggs, Damien Prince, Adam McLean). They've opened up pipelines with Gilman again, a school which hadn't sent a commit to Maryland in 20-30 years. They've gotten top DC players the last two years (Gray, Boulware).

    They definitely aren't focusing recruiting efforts on out of state players while sacrificing local recruiting. The priority is, and has been, local recruiting since Edsall has been here, definitely more so than Ralph.
    You are only talking about MD an DC players.

    I'm talking about the 3 states that surround MD in addition to MD.

    Every post, I've made it a point to include those other states and you haven't mentioned any a single time. We are NOT going to be a good Big 10 team only recruiting MD (there simply aren't enough players to go around) and grabbing 2-3 players from Florida and Texas a year. It's not going to happen.

    For this school to take that next step, VA, PA and NJ have to be states where we consistently get 4-5 players every year, especially years where the talent is down in MD. And we don't have any presence there at all. That is my point.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.





  10. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)
    Posts
    530

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    I'm a DeMatha grad & with the reputation of the Athletic program, a national Basketball powerhouse in the early days, and now more and more DM Football is on equal footing, you'd think the Terps down the road would get more of these players.

    The attraction and opportunity to leave home for a more elite situation takes most of these kids far from College Park.

    Also, schools like Notre Dame & UD (Dayton) up the road from here, recruits heavily from DM, since they're Catholic institutions.

    My daughter's physical trainer played Basketball for UD and they had 2 starters from DM his years.

    One of my favorite Ravens was Josh Wilson. Went from DeMatha to Maryland and ended up with the Ravens for 1 or 2 years.





  11. #35

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    You are only talking about MD an DC players.

    I'm talking about the 3 states that surround MD in addition to MD.

    Every post, I've made it a point to include those other states and you haven't mentioned any a single time. We are NOT going to be a good Big 10 team only recruiting MD (there simply aren't enough players to go around) and grabbing 2-3 players from Florida and Texas a year. It's not going to happen.

    For this school to take that next step, VA, PA and NJ have to be states where we consistently get 4-5 players every year, especially years where the talent is down in MD. And we don't have any presence there at all. That is my point.
    Eh, I think you're downplaying their success in PA and NJ.

    Looking at 2014-2015 classes: Hell, one of their starting WR's by the end of last year was a true freshman from NJ (Winfree) who was #7 in NJ. Their starting NT next year is David Shaw who is a PA guy. Ezeagwu is going to compete for PT in the secondary and he's from Stafford VA. DJ Moore is a probably their best offensive recruit in 2015 and he's from PA.

    You can make an argument that they haven't recruited Hampton Roads well, which is true, but until Frank Beamer leaves that's just the way it is. I'd love for them to break through and I harped on Ralph about it too, but it's been that way for 10 years.

    Again, I don't think the strategy is bad on their part. I think they just need to get better players from the places they are targeting. Don't lose out on NY guys like Austrian Robinson. But clearly they're making an effort there.





  12. #36

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Eh, I think you're downplaying their success in PA and NJ.

    Looking at 2014-2015 classes: Hell, one of their starting WR's by the end of last year was a true freshman from NJ (Winfree) who was #7 in NJ. Their starting NT next year is David Shaw who is a PA guy. Ezeagwu is going to compete for PT in the secondary and he's from Stafford VA. DJ Moore is a probably their best offensive recruit in 2015 and he's from PA.

    You can make an argument that they haven't recruited Hampton Roads well, which is true, but until Frank Beamer leaves that's just the way it is. I'd love for them to break through and I harped on Ralph about it too, but it's been that way for 10 years.

    Again, I don't think the strategy is bad on their part. I think they just need to get better players from the places they are targeting. Don't lose out on NY guys like Austrian Robinson. But clearly they're making an effort there.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree.

    Naming one guy out of NJ as if that is making a difference isn't getting the points I've laid out.

    Having a real presence in an area is consistently getting 4-5-6 guys out of that area. Not naming one guy in 2-3 separate years/classes.

    I'd also add that the policy we have is not really working, the results on the field don't really say it nor do the recruiting rankings.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland