Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 63
  1. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    23,758
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]



    My LSU Tigers got Kevin Toliver II the nations #1 CB. I'm usually skeptical when it comes to these high school rankings but this this kid is already 6'2 195. He looks like a Patrick Peterson clone. Can't wait to see him.
    Putting the Fanatic back in Fan





  2. Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Gonna go on a mini rant here...

    Randy Edsall has zero idea how to staff his coaching staff.

    He seems to put a lot of priority on NFL experience and actual coaching. Which is good...when you are in the NFL.

    There are positions in college where you really want a coach who is a really good, experienced guy...your coordinators, and OL, DL, QB.

    But this is college football...recruiting is a HUGE part of coaching. There are positions where you can "hide" guys who maybe aren't the best pure coaches, but are recruiting guys...RB, WR, LB, DB...positions where in college, if you are a good athlete, you can get by. And those recruiting coaches need to have contacts and experience/success in areas they are familiar with (usually grew up in their areas).

    Randy doesn't do that. He hires guys as if he's running an NFL staff and as a result, he has guys recruiting areas that they aren't familiar with and the high school kids and coaches aren't familiar with the recruiter. And it's no doubt holding MD recruiting back bigtime.

    MD has had virtually no success in VA...northern or the very talent rich Hampton Roads areas, NJ as you said and PA. They really do a piss poor job in the surrounding states but unfortunately, it's not going to get better with the way Edsall runs the program.
    Completely agree. The problem goes back to Friedgen though. They didn't capitalize enough on the few really successful years they had, but instead sat back and didn't do as much as they could/should have.





  3. #15

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    Football recruiting is REALLY tough at Maryland. It's getting better with the move to the Big 10 (at least you can play on freaking TV now!) and the Under Armour tie-in.

    But the stadium is horrible and usually half empty. I don't know about their athletic facilities, but I have to assume they pale in comparison to OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, etc.

    Maryland is always going to get second-tier recruits. That's what they got, that's what they have to compete with.
    "Leave. Your. Mark."





  4. #16

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Football recruiting is REALLY tough at Maryland. It's getting better with the move to the Big 10 (at least you can play on freaking TV now!) and the Under Armour tie-in.

    But the stadium is horrible and usually half empty. I don't know about their athletic facilities, but I have to assume they pale in comparison to OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, etc.

    Maryland is always going to get second-tier recruits. That's what they got, that's what they have to compete with.
    Speaking of facilities...

    http://umdrightnow.umd.edu/news/univ...le-field-house



    No doubt recruiting will always be tough, there is a lot of talent in this state that attracts other big schools, but with the school seemingly investing in football, they probably could do the one thing that would potentially change some things...get a real coach in here. It has been hard to attract good coaches here due to the lack of investment in football and that causes the trickle down.

    By no means do I think we are going to get up there with the OSU's and Michigans, but no reason with a coach with a clue and the facilities that are on the way that we shouldn't consistently have top 35-30 classes.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.





  5. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    27,973
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's cool. Thanks for sharing.
    Had no idea Tyrod was ranked #1 over Cam Newton.

    Tennessee Vols really did well along the O and D lines
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!





  6. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    23,758
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Had no idea Tyrod was ranked #1 over Cam Newton.

    Tennessee Vols really did well along the O and D lines
    That Tyrod fact is proof that it's still guess work just like the draft.
    Putting the Fanatic back in Fan





  7. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,920
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That Tyrod fact is proof that it's still guess work just like the draft.
    I mean Tyrod had a pretty successful career at VT. Cam took awhile to become Cam Newton at Auburn.....he sat behind Tebow for 2 years, transferred to a Juco college and then played his sr yr at Auburn.





  8. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    23,758
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensNest View Post
    I mean Tyrod had a pretty successful career at VT. Cam took awhile to become Cam Newton at Auburn.....he sat behind Tebow for 2 years, transferred to a Juco college and then played his sr yr at Auburn.
    I was very excited when the Ravens drafted Tyrod. I liked the fact that he played in different offensive systems and was able to adjust and play well in each. With all that a 5 star rating sounds crazy. They must have thought that he'd be a lot taller than he ended up.
    Putting the Fanatic back in Fan





  9. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    41,431
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    My LSU Tigers got Kevin Toliver II the nations #1 CB. I'm usually skeptical when it comes to these high school rankings but this this kid is already 6'2 195. He looks like a Patrick Peterson clone. Can't wait to see him.
    Wow.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

    RIP #25





  10. #22

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Gonna go on a mini rant here...

    Randy Edsall has zero idea how to staff his coaching staff.

    He seems to put a lot of priority on NFL experience and actual coaching. Which is good...when you are in the NFL.

    There are positions in college where you really want a coach who is a really good, experienced guy...your coordinators, and OL, DL, QB.

    But this is college football...recruiting is a HUGE part of coaching. There are positions where you can "hide" guys who maybe aren't the best pure coaches, but are recruiting guys...RB, WR, LB, DB...positions where in college, if you are a good athlete, you can get by. And those recruiting coaches need to have contacts and experience/success in areas they are familiar with (usually grew up in their areas).

    Randy doesn't do that. He hires guys as if he's running an NFL staff and as a result, he has guys recruiting areas that they aren't familiar with and the high school kids and coaches aren't familiar with the recruiter. And it's no doubt holding MD recruiting back bigtime.

    MD has had virtually no success in VA...northern or the very talent rich Hampton Roads areas, NJ as you said and PA. They really do a piss poor job in the surrounding states but unfortunately, it's not going to get better with the way Edsall runs the program.
    To be fair, they're trying to do both. They have McCardell who is there to recruit Texas (and has pulled a few kids each year - he is from Houston) but also be a big name coach that can attract WR talent. Then they just hired the Jacksonsville RB coach Terry Richardson who has NFL experience but also recruited Duke Johnson and some other big talents to Miami.





  11. Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Did anyone check out the guys the Terps got? Some nice looking prospects there for sure.

    Check out Gage Shaffer, 3 Star QB out of West Virginia. 6'7" 215lbs. I was watching some of the 247 tape on him and he has a really nice arm. Maryland may have finally found themselves a gun slinger.
    wtf does he even have internal organs? dude turns sideways and he will disapear ....





  12. #24

    Re: Ot - National Signing Day [Terps]

    Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    To be fair, they're trying to do both. They have McCardell who is there to recruit Texas (and has pulled a few kids each year - he is from Houston) but also be a big name coach that can attract WR talent. Then they just hired the Jacksonsville RB coach Terry Richardson who has NFL experience but also recruited Duke Johnson and some other big talents to Miami.
    Those are 2 of the most competitive states in the country in areas where we have no history or notoriety. Those are the absolute wrong states to be in.

    I'd rather actually get 4 or high 3 star guys who can recruit states near me than taking the scraps in Florida and Texas.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland