Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens Offered Torrey Smith 7 mil per year before season

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    The all time standard for this organization, now and forever, is this: we let Ray Lewis test the open market. We can let you test the open market, too.
    Exactly. As I've said, I think this will happen with Torrey.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Give him the same deal...but with only $10M guaranteed.
    I agree. As great as Ozzie is, he seems to be a lil generous with the guaranteed money sometimes. Other teams seem to be able to cut players after 2 or 3 years but we seem to have huge dead money implications up to the end of the contract (see Ngata & Webb). I guess that happens when you always try to sign players to contracts with minimal cap #'s to start (Flacco, etc). That money catches up to you. We're seeing that now with Rice & Pitta and could be the same with Torrey.
    "A pessimist sees the difficult in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." – Winston Churchill

Why would we have offered him that money knowing we were moving to a WCO? If we did, then Ozzie is as lucky for Torrey turning it down as he was unlucky for Pitta getting hurt again. Wallace may have been paid $ 7M but he wasn't worth it and neither is Torrey. What a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    The all time standard for this organization, now and forever, is this: we let Ray Lewis test the open market. We can let you test the open market, too.
    I prescribe to this as well. I like the guy, but he isn't a deal breaker offensively for me. I'm sure we can find a speedy WR with shaky hands elsewhere ie Deonte Thompson and Jacoby Jones. Listing best hands on the team I would go:

Pitta
    Daniels
    SSR
    Camp
    Marlon
    Aiken
    Gilmore
    Torrey
    Jacoby

IMO he's really far down the list of reliabilty, which with a contract like what the Ravens offered, you're basically paying for pass interferences and bad route running that causes INTs.

You can see I'm firmly in the "let him walk" crowd.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
    I agree. As great as Ozzie is, he seems to be a lil generous with the guaranteed money sometimes. Other teams seem to be able to cut players after 2 or 3 years but we seem to have huge dead money implications up to the end of the contract (see Ngata & Webb). I guess that happens when you always try to sign players to contracts with minimal cap #'s to start (Flacco, etc). That money catches up to you. We're seeing that now with Rice & Pitta and could be the same with Torrey.
    Considering the size of Ngata's deal his dead money isn't bad. Webb's dead money is so bad because the Ravens restructured his deal before the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    I prescribe to this as well. I like the guy, but he isn't a deal breaker offensively for me. I'm sure we can find a speedy WR with shaky hands elsewhere ie Deonte Thompson and Jacoby Jones. Listing best hands on the team I would go:

Pitta
    Daniels
    SSR
    Camp
    Marlon
    Aiken
    Gilmore
    Torrey
    Jacoby

IMO he's really far down the list of reliabilty, which with a contract like what the Ravens offered, you're basically paying for pass interferences and bad route running that causes INTs.

You can see I'm firmly in the "let him walk" crowd.
    My god we need a #1 receiver
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
    I wouldn't include Rice and Pitta in there. Early contract termination occurs when a players performance is not reflective of their compensation. Rice punched his wife and Pitta dislocated his hip. Had neither of those two things occurred their contract structures wouldn't be questioned. (Well maybe you're right about Rice).

In regards to Torrey Smith....I bet he resigns here for 5 years 28 million. He's not better than Golden Tate or Decker. Can't see many teams giving him $7 million annually especially with the quality we're seeing in recent receiving drafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    There is no way this rumor is true, IMO. 7 mil per year? he'd have taken that in a heartbeat. If it's true, and he didn't, he needs to fire his agent.
    was searching the thread to see who would be the first. I agree; it just doesn't add up. He would have taken that deal and said thank you.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Considering the size of Ngata's deal his dead money isn't bad. Webb's dead money is so bad because the Ravens restructured his deal before the season.
    Yeah but it took til the last yr of Ngata's deal for the dead money to 'only' be $7.5m, meaning realistically there was no way he could be cut until his last season. I'm sure that's great for the player but not so much for the team. Webb has $10m in 2015 dead money so his little restructure made it worse but it was already bad.
    "A pessimist sees the difficult in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." – Winston Churchill

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I wonder if part of reason Torrey struggled at the start of the season was because of the pressure of turning down that contract? When you turn down an offer it's because you think they'll pay more. Then you have to go out and prove it just like Flacco did. Maybe Torrey can't handle that kind of pressure.
    Yea I can definitely see this being the case. What Joe did in that situation is the exception not the rule. Thats the ultimate case of betting on yourself and hitting the jackpot.

Torrey will always be one of my alltime favorite Ravens but LaCianfora is right...... that is a VERY fair deal and if Torrey passed that up more power to him. But just like with McPhee there will be some other team ready and willing to give Torrey close to elite money. Im already resigned to that.
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    My god we need a #1 receiver
    Personally I think we have one in Marlon Brown. There's just something about his game...idk I'm not going to list a bunch of things that qualify my argument. Just think he's special.

That being said the WRs in the draft: (Cooper, White, Parker) DGB, Strong, Hardy, Agolhor, Lockett, Devin Smith, Coates, amongst others will be available for us to draft. At least 1 of those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    Personally I think we have one in Marlon Brown. There's just something about his game...idk I'm not going to list a bunch of things that qualify my argument. Just think he's special.

That being said the WRs in the draft: (Cooper, White, Parker) DGB, Strong, Hardy, Agolhor, Lockett, Devin Smith, Coates, amongst others will be available for us to draft. At least 1 of those guys.

Will they be around in the 5th-7th though....:'(
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB