Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Suggestions on Improving the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    2. Do away with the referees union and make them full time employees. Far too many mistakes from the crews to keep them as part time employees. Also, keep crews together for the post season instead of breaking them up.
    :word

Also: place all refs on a performance scale. Those who achieve 100% perfection in making and not missing calls (as determined by a league sponsored independent review panel) make a $100,000 season bonus. Those who grade below 95% are automatically fired. In between, place the bonus on a sliding scale of $1 for 95% to $50,000 for 99%.

Also: forever fix the Belicheat eligible receiver confusion tactic, and speed up the game, by requiring all eligible receivers to don a specially marked helmet, or alternative such as bright ribbon snapped onto rear of helmet. Note: Belicheat should be extremely familiar with this tactic, inasmuch his Dad was assistant coach to Wayne Hardin who implemented dressing the Navy eligible receivers flourescent orange painted helmets for the 1961 Army-Navy game. Little Billy B. was likely on the sidelines.

Also: make every ref decision subject to booth review.

Also: have every review independently performed by someone who is not a ref, and in no way associated with NFL refs, from a booth or central location. No more trotting to the sideline, please.

Also: extra points should be kicked from the 30 yard line, with extra points kicked from the 40 yard line worth 2 points, and from the 50 yard line worth 3 points
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Modify Salary Cap Rules

They need to reward teams that draft well and modify the salary cap rules. For example, a player who is still with their original team after 8 years only counts 75% against the cap. After 10 years that same player will count 50% against the cap. Since according to the NFL Players Association the average career length is about 3.3 years, this rule would not apply to most players. But teams like the Ravens stand a better chance of keeping fan favorites like Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata, etc. without sacrificing in other areas.

Essentially, teams that draft and develop their own players are rewarded after a period of time with getting to keep those players at a cheaper cost against the cap. The players still get paid but get to stay with their original teams. Hence, they won't become a cap casualty. Most importantly, fans get to root for their favorite players. Who wants to see Ed Reed running around in a Houston uniform?
    I like this idea. I would think the Players Association would like it too because that means higher salary able to be granted. IE if another team is offering $10 mil/year the home team could give up to $13.3 with the same cap impact. Probably wouldn't go that high, but would still offer a bit more. The higher salary would also likely impact the salaries of franchise tags.

The flip side is I don't think the league would like it because it would skew the parity that they desire by allowing the good teams to keep more of the best players. And with the salary cap floors it would require teams to pay more for players that they don't really want to give that much to.

By "move replays to the booth" do some of you mean still review them in stadium? If that's the case, I'd be against that.

I'd much prefer an NHL style approach. All reviews are done at league HQ and the result is radioed into the ref. Completely remove the on-field ref from the decision.

I'd also eliminate the strategic element from the replay process by removing the penalty from the coaches challenge. Just get the call right. A team shouldn't be penalized for a wrong challenge.

By "move replays to the booth" do some of you mean still review them in stadium? If that's the case, I'd be against that.

I'd much prefer an NHL style approach. All reviews are done at league HQ and the result is radioed into the ref. Completely remove the on-field ref from the decision.

I'd also eliminate the strategic element from the replay process by removing the penalty from the coaches challenge. Just get the call right. A team shouldn't be penalized for a wrong challenge.
    Personally, I think either is better. I would prefer league office like you suggest, but even a booth at the stadium would be better than current.

Blog Entries

They already have a central replay. http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...review-nhl-mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    With the emphasis on not being able to touch receivers, and the dramatic increase of PI penalties, they should change that to a 15 yarder instead of a spot foul.
    I know this is a common feeling, but that would simply kill the long passing game. You would see many fewer receptions on long passes and many more plays that result in a long PI penalty based on the risk/payoff for the defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    They already have a central replay. http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...review-nhl-mlb
    I am aware. But the decision is still left up to the ref.

I don't see a difference. As long as the man-in-the booth is not part of the NFL Union Refs good-ol'-boy network and adequately knowledgable, what's the advantage/disadvantage of stadium suite or pressbox vs. off-site locate (one advantage of in-stadium is hand signals or smoke signals can be seen if communications break down)

Somewhat agree. But what would preclude the red-flag happy coach from tossing it at will, including gaining breathing time for a worn out defense facing a no-huddle offense?
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I don't see a difference. As long as the man-in-the booth is not part of the NFL Union Refs good-ol'-boy network and adequately knowledgable, what's the advantage/disadvantage of stadium suite or pressbox vs. off-site locate (one advantage of in-stadium is hand signals or smoke signals can be seen if communications break down)
    The cost. Instead of having one or two replay guys at every game (and the associated travel costs), you have a half dozen or so at a central spot in NY. The NHL doesn't have the comm problems you mention as they have redundancies.

Somewhat agree. But what would preclude the red-flag happy coach from tossing it at will, including gaining breathing time for a worn out defense facing a no-huddle offense?
    I'd eliminate the penalty, not the number of challenges. Sorry if I didn't specify that one.

Easy. The coaches still have a limited number of challenges (I would suggest either one per half or three for the whole game), there's just no penalty if you get it wrong.

Blog Entries

Definitely would make the appeals process to a third neutral party.
    Quit messing with the draft days leave it late April, although I don't mind the changes in venues.
    Illegal contact on the defense make a 5yd penalty and repeat down, instead of automatic first.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Quote Originally Posted by DC Raven View Post
    Easy. The coaches still have a limited number of challenges (I would suggest either one per half or three for the whole game), there's just no penalty if you get it wrong.
    Exactly. I like the three challenge limit per game idea.