Ravens Have Eighth Best Odds To Win Super Bowl

At 30-1. Which is behind the Seahawks at 6-1, Patriots at 7-1, Packers at 8-1, Broncos and Colts at 12-1, Cowboys at 18-1, and the Eagles at 25-1.

The Ravens are tied with the Steelers, Saints,49ers, and Lions.

I disagree with the Colts, Broncos, Eagles, Saints, and 49ers having better odds than the Ravens.

The Colts haven't shown any ability to beat the Patriots, which is what you need to do if you want to even represent the AFC in the Super Bowl.

Peyton Manning is shutting down and so is Denver's window.

Nick Foles has yet to play 16 games, and we don't know how well he can play.

The Saints defense was among the league's worst this season and they're in cap hell.

And with the 49ers, they just canned one of the league's top coaches and replaced him with a guy whose experience includes NFL Europe and the 2010 finale.

I'd say that the Ravens have better chances than all those teams, if they get another corner to go along with a healthy Jimmy.

Re: Ravens Have Eighth Best Odds To Win Super Bowl

Odds aren't simply a guess at who will win. I wouldn't read too much into the Colts, Broncos, Eagles, 49ers or Lions odds. Vegas is evaluating who will bet, not who will win.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Indeed.

If I could take a reverse bet I would on the Broncos. Manning is done and they don't have a QB. They also have cap issues on the horizon (speculation on my part but their recent rash of signing to win now before Manning's arm fails would indicate that, and of course his arm looks done).

Blog Entries

Ravens over Cowboys, book it.

Assuming that the secondary is adequately improved and a decent new TE is hired, the only teams on that list which I would rank above the Ravens for SB 50 probability would be the Seahawks, Patriots, and Packers. 30:1 reflects the bookies perception of how the betting public will act, not the relative strength of the teams.

Of course, any of the others on the list above could also be a merely couple of players away.

I wonder where the Bengals are rated by the bettors? Redskins and Browns?
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Assuming that the secondary is adequately improved and a decent new TE is hired, the only teams on that list which I would rank above the Ravens for SB 50 probability would be the Seahawks, Patriots, and Packers.
    I'd not put the Patriots ahead of the Ravens. Brady a year older, Revis probably gone, and the Ravens should have won the divisional playoff against them. I also don't know how Deflategate is going to pan out, and possibly affect them in the draft. The biggest factor with the Pats is Brady though. Look, the guy has nothing left in his arm. That is starting to get really apparent when he tries to go downfield at all. He throws inaccurate ducks far too often. I think that the other teams in the NFL will be working the entire offseason to stop the dink and dunking, and force him to go downfield more, because everyone can see this. Same thing happened to Manning down the stretch this year, and he couldn't get it done, especially after the thigh injury.

Broncos, Colts, hell no, those teams are definitely going to regress. I'm not totally sold on Luck as I was earlier this year, he still makes far too many bad decisions. High risk, high reward kind of guy, who seems to come up short in the playoffs eventually.

The Ravens just need to get some *real* depth in their secondary, re-sign Forsett and Daniels(or replace them suitably), and get (and stay) healthy, and they will be very dangerous. I'm feeling they will keep Torrey, and overall they have some good young talent in that receiving corps. Still some questions with the Ravens, but this has the feeling of a team that's on the rise again, and reminds me a bit of 2010-2011, where IMO they were the best team in the NFL those years. They just need a normal solid offseason by Ozzie, and they will be the team to beat in the AFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Assuming that the secondary is adequately improved and a decent new TE is hired, the only teams on that list which I would rank above the Ravens for SB 50 probability would be the Seahawks, Patriots, and Packers. 30:1 reflects the bookies perception of how the betting public will act, not the relative strength of the teams.

Of course, any of the others on the list above could also be a merely couple of players away.

I wonder where the Bengals are rated by the bettors? Redskins and Browns?
    The Bengals are at 35-1 odds to win the Super Bowl. The Browns have 75-1 odds. Can't remember what odds the Redskins have but I dont think that they were better than the Browns.

As Mista T pointed out, the first purpose of betting odds are to get bets on both sides of the line.

They should not be used for any sort of probability as to how a team will be in the future, especially given the parity in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Da Vida View Post
    Odds aren't simply a guess at who will win. I wouldn't read too much into the Colts, Broncos, Eagles, 49ers or Lions odds. Vegas is evaluating who will bet, not who will win.
    agreed

Assuming we get our shit together in the defensive backfield, the only AFC team that scares me is the one that just hoisted the Lombardi. And even then, we know we can beat them. Really would be nice to have a healthy Pitta back.

The NFC is loaded with Dallas, GB and Seattle all strong. I discount Detroit, Philly, Arizona and NOLA as pretenders.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Assuming we get our shit together in the defensive backfield, the only AFC team that scares me is the one that just hoisted the Lombardi. And even then, we know we can beat them. Really would be nice to have a healthy Pitta back.

The NFC is loaded with Dallas, GB and Seattle all strong. I discount Detroit, Philly, Arizona and NOLA as pretenders.
    I wouldn't call the Cardinals pretenders. If Palmer was healthy, they might've been the champs.

This may be an intangible but many of these teams don't perform well in the playoffs. They tear up in the regular season but for whatever reason can't get it done when it matters. I think the QB comes under scrutiny at this point and has to be weighed in the balances. That's why Billicheat was more nervous playing us than Seattle. And on that note the Ravens move up the list. IMO