Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Cap Casualties From Other Teams

This thread is dedicated to discussing players from other teams that could wind up on the chopping block this off-season. We all know that Ozzie has predominately targeted these types of players over Unrestricted Free Agents because they don't impact Compensatory Picks.

Brandon Marshall has already been floated as a possibility. Purely from a football perspective, Marshall would be a fantastic addition. He knows Marc Trestman, he's a legitimate #1 guy, and he still has some tread on the tires as he is only 31.

Larry Fitzgerald is another guy who may end up looking for a new team this off-season. Though both he and Arizona have expressed interest in working something out, there is no way the Cardinals can hang onto him with a $20+ mill cap hit next year. Fitz is the same age as Marshall and a similar type of receiver. My bet is Fitz would cost quite a bit more though.

Andre Johnson will likely not be a Texan next year, but at 34 years old I wouldn't be interested.

Trent Cole has around a $12 mill cap hit next year and the Eagles could save almost $9 mill if they cut Cole. Cole is 32, but he had 7 sacks last year, 3 forced fumbles, and 52 tackles. He wouldn't be an every down guy here, but he might be something they're interested in from a rotational perspective.

Jerrod Mayo was injured most of the year, but has a $10 mill cap hit and the emergence of Dont'a Hightower and Jamie Collins could signal that the Pats will part ways with Mayo. I'm not sure how he would fit into the LB rotation in Baltimore, but he's younger than Daryl Smith and when healthy he was one of the better 3-4 inside linebackers in the NFL.

Vernon Davis just turned 31 a few days ago, so he still has some tread left. The Niners would save around $5 mill by cutting him. I'm not sure what his asking price would be, but he is coming off of a rough season and short of a few years he has never been one of the top TEs in the NFL from a receiver perspective. This largely depends on Dennis Pitta, but if Pitta has to retire, Vernon Davis could be a really nice guy to bring in on a 2-3 year deal while they figure out their long term TE situation (Gilmore or someone else). One thing that almost always goes overlooked with Vernon Davis is how good of a blocker he is.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Cap Casualties From Other Teams

Good thread... and even better to keep separate.

I dont have all of his contract details but Vincent Jackson is a candidate ($11m APY?) for release from TBB. I don't recall the savings but they could stand to shift resources to the OL and secondary.

Marques Colston ($7-8m APY?) from NOS is a candidate. NOS was in to win it all judging from their 2014 spend. Graham, Stills and Cooks is pretty good along a solid running game. Any Colston savings should go to defense.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Davis would be a great addition. I differ and feel he was one of the better receiving TEs for awhile. He may not be that anymore but he can still catch a football and create mismatch opportunities. Davis>Pitta.
    -JAB

Cary Williams, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    This thread is dedicated to discussing players from other teams that could wind up on the chopping block this off-season. We all know that Ozzie has predominately targeted these types of players over Unrestricted Free Agents because they don't impact Compensatory Picks.

Brandon Marshall has already been floated as a possibility. Purely from a football perspective, Marshall would be a fantastic addition. He knows Marc Trestman, he's a legitimate #1 guy, and he still has some tread on the tires as he is only 31.

Larry Fitzgerald is another guy who may end up looking for a new team this off-season. Though both he and Arizona have expressed interest in working something out, there is no way the Cardinals can hang onto him with a $20+ mill cap hit next year. Fitz is the same age as Marshall and a similar type of receiver. My bet is Fitz would cost quite a bit more though.

Andre Johnson will likely not be a Texan next year, but at 34 years old I wouldn't be interested.

Trent Cole has around a $12 mill cap hit next year and the Eagles could save almost $9 mill if they cut Cole. Cole is 32, but he had 7 sacks last year, 3 forced fumbles, and 52 tackles. He wouldn't be an every down guy here, but he might be something they're interested in from a rotational perspective.

Jerrod Mayo was injured most of the year, but has a $10 mill cap hit and the emergence of Dont'a Hightower and Jamie Collins could signal that the Pats will part ways with Mayo. I'm not sure how he would fit into the LB rotation in Baltimore, but he's younger than Daryl Smith and when healthy he was one of the better 3-4 inside linebackers in the NFL.

Vernon Davis just turned 31 a few days ago, so he still has some tread left. The Niners would save around $5 mill by cutting him. I'm not sure what his asking price would be, but he is coming off of a rough season and short of a few years he has never been one of the top TEs in the NFL from a receiver perspective. This largely depends on Dennis Pitta, but if Pitta has to retire, Vernon Davis could be a really nice guy to bring in on a 2-3 year deal while they figure out their long term TE situation (Gilmore or someone else). One thing that almost always goes overlooked with Vernon Davis is how good of a blocker he is.
    I'd love to see Marshall come here, as he's young enough to spend the next few years getting a rhythm with Flacco, but I think the man's personal issues (albeit in the past) will keep this team from grabbing him. I'm going to assume that ANY player the Ravens look at this offseason with DV issues in his past will be overlooked.

Fitzy would be a great 1 or 2 year player, but I just don't see him coming here. Some team that things they have all the right pieces in place to make a run with throw a truckload of cash at him. He's a Ra-Ra kinda guy, so I could see him fitting in well with Harbaugh and staff, but that kinda talent is just too salty for the Ravens.

Andre Johnson... see Larry Fitzgerald. Would have loved to see him in purple like 5 years ago.

I can't see the Ravens spending any more money on the interior linebacker position, especially after grabbing CJ Mosely last year. Daryl Smith had a great year, and yes while he's going to be another year older (slower, weaker, more fragile, etc etc) I like the way the front 7 gelled by the end of the year. I don't want them to break that up.

Vernon Davis is damn near a senior citizen, but for sure we can't count on Pitta's hip. There has to be a plan in effect to stabilize that position, and I'm hoping they go with some young talent. Look at Gronk last night. If we had someone like Gronk or Jimmy Graham, we'd be unstoppable. it could be that Pitta, Gilmore, and Supernaw might be good enough to elevate the TE position further, but no more 300 old Tight Ends please. You were serviceable Owen Daniels, but the continuous pickup of geriatric players at this position needs to stop.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata_Ate_My_Lunch View Post
    I'd love to see Marshall come here, as he's young enough to spend the next few years getting a rhythm with Flacco, but I think the man's personal issues (albeit in the past) will keep this team from grabbing him. I'm going to assume that ANY player the Ravens look at this offseason with DV issues in his past will be overlooked.

Fitzy would be a great 1 or 2 year player, but I just don't see him coming here. Some team that things they have all the right pieces in place to make a run with throw a truckload of cash at him. He's a Ra-Ra kinda guy, so I could see him fitting in well with Harbaugh and staff, but that kinda talent is just too salty for the Ravens.

Andre Johnson... see Larry Fitzgerald. Would have loved to see him in purple like 5 years ago.

I can't see the Ravens spending any more money on the interior linebacker position, especially after grabbing CJ Mosely last year. Daryl Smith had a great year, and yes while he's going to be another year older (slower, weaker, more fragile, etc etc) I like the way the front 7 gelled by the end of the year. I don't want them to break that up.

Vernon Davis is damn near a senior citizen, but for sure we can't count on Pitta's hip. There has to be a plan in effect to stabilize that position, and I'm hoping they go with some young talent. Look at Gronk last night. If we had someone like Gronk or Jimmy Graham, we'd be unstoppable. it could be that Pitta, Gilmore, and Supernaw might be good enough to elevate the TE position further, but no more 300 old Tight Ends please. You were serviceable Owen Daniels, but the continuous pickup of geriatric players at this position needs to stop.
    I find it interesting that you say Brandon Marshall is still young enough, but both Fitz and Vernon Davis are too old? Marshall turns 31 in March. Davis turned 31 last week. Larry Fitz is currently 31.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CopRaven View Post
    Cary Williams, anyone?
    Definitely possible. Would he come back here though?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Good thread... and even better to keep separate.

I dont have all of his contract details but Vincent Jackson is a candidate ($11m APY?) for release from TBB. I don't recall the savings but they could stand to shift resources to the OL and secondary.

Marques Colston ($7-8m APY?) from NOS is a candidate. NOS was in to win it all judging from their 2014 spend. Graham, Stills and Cooks is pretty good along a solid running game. Any Colston savings should go to defense.
    I considered Colston as well (forgot about VJax though). My issue with Colston is that he is a similar type of player to Marlon Brown. A big slot guy. I wouldn't be opposed, but I'd prefer someone a bit more dynamic which I believe someone like Marshall is.

I find it interesting that you say Brandon Marshall is still young enough, but both Fitz and Vernon Davis are too old? Marshall turns 31 in March. Davis turned 31 last week. Larry Fitz is currently 31.
    Oh wow, I didn't realize they were all the same age. I don't know why, but I thought Davis and Fitz were more senior. Maybe they were just more visible earlier in their career? Maybe I need more coffee?

Good thread. The only one on that list that I see as a nice fit is Vernon Davis. A change of scenery might do him some good. I appreciate Owen Daniels, but with losing Kubes and him being another year older, you have to expect some regression next year. And who knows with Pitta.

An impact TE would go a long way toward helping the rest of the receiving crew. (For evidence, I point to that game last night.)
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Good thread. The only one on that list that I see as a nice fit is Vernon Davis. A change of scenery might do him some good. I appreciate Owen Daniels, but with losing Kubes and him being another year older, you have to expect some regression next year. And who knows with Pitta.

An impact TE would go a long way toward helping the rest of the receiving crew. (For evidence, I point to that game last night.)
    Keep in mind that Daniels is only 32. He could conceivably be back on another 1 year deal.

The difference between Daniels and Vernon Davis though, IMO, is Davis doesn't come with the injury history that Daniels does.

I considered Colston as well (forgot about VJax though). My issue with Colston is that he is a similar type of player to Marlon Brown. A big slot guy. I wouldn't be opposed, but I'd prefer someone a bit more dynamic which I believe someone like Marshall is.
    I completely agree.
    I'm not advocating either guy for us --those ships done sailed-- but their potential future movements could have ripples.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver