OT College Football

Does anyone remember a year like this?

The #1 and #2 teams go down today.

The ending of the Cal game probably took a few years off the lives of any Golden Bears fan out there.

The BCS hasn't even come out yet and the turmoil we've seen in the top 10 already is insane.

I wish they'd do away with preseason rankings and let the teams play these first 5 or 6 games before any sort of rankings come out.

And one more thing. I'd love to see South Florida make it to the championship game. 5 weeks ago people would've laughed at that thought. Now it's a very real possibility.

PP

Re: OT College Football

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Does anyone remember a year like this?

The #1 and #2 teams go down today.

The ending of the Cal game probably took a few years off the lives of any Golden Bears fan out there.

The BCS hasn't even come out yet and the turmoil we've seen in the top 10 already is insane.

I wish they'd do away with preseason rankings and let the teams play these first 5 or 6 games before any sort of rankings come out.

And one more thing. I'd love to see South Florida make it to the championship game. 5 weeks ago people would've laughed at that thought. Now it's a very real possibility.

PP
    We may see a South Florida/Boston College championship game lol.

This is why college football needs a playoff.

Just my opinion, but there's no way a team like South Florida, and I'll give them all the credit in the world, but there's no way that they'd win a championship in a 8 team playoff that included teams like LSU, Oklahoma, Florida, Ohio State, and to a much lesser extent, USC.

They just wouldn't make it thru that bracket.

The whole system just plain sucks.

Anyway, as an interesting aside...Maryland plays BC in 2 weeks at Byrd Stadium...there's a very real possibility that BC will be #1 at that point (they were 4 today, and 1 and 2 lost).

And, that Cal game...wow.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    We may see a South Florida/Boston College championship game lol.

This is why college football needs a playoff.

Just my opinion, but there's no way a team like South Florida, and I'll give them all the credit in the world, but there's no way that they'd win a championship in a 8 team playoff that included teams like LSU, Oklahoma, Florida, Ohio State, and to a much lesser extent, USC.

They just wouldn't make it thru that bracket.

The whole system just plain sucks.

Anyway, as an interesting aside...Maryland plays BC in 2 weeks at Byrd Stadium...there's a very real possibility that BC will be #1 at that point (they were 4 today, and 1 and 2 lost).

And, that Cal game...wow.
    South Florida might not make it through a bracket but they could beat any of those teams on a given night.

Just like Boise St did last year to OU.

As much as I hate to say it, Ohio State looks to have a pretty easy path to the championship game now. Im gonna assume they will be 1 and BC will be 2 when the BCS comes out.

And S. Florida's resume isn't too bad at all. They beat Auburn in Auburn. That looks even more impressive since Auburn went into Florida and won a few weeks ago. They took down WVU when they were ranked #5. The rest of their schedule looked hard a few weeks ago but Louisville and Rutgers have shown to be highly overrated this year and Cincinnati just lost to Louisville.

It's almost as if none of these teams are really overrated. It's just that there is an extreme amount of parity right now in college football. Some of these 2nd tier teams have alot of talent and when you get a good coach, it adds up to hanging with the big boys.

Edit: As for MD. That Wake Forest game is gonna be a nightmare for this team the whole season. Maybe it woke them up but they had that game and with the last 2 wins, could easily be 5-1 with a chance to go to the ACC Champ game with a W over BC. And MD better stomped UVA. Their record might say 6-1 but that might be the softest 6-1 Ive EVER seen.

PP
    Last edited by purplepoe; 10-13-2007 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    South Florida might not make it through a bracket but they could beat any of those teams on a given night.

Just like Boise St did last year to OU.

As much as I hate to say it, Ohio State looks to have a pretty easy path to the championship game now. Im gonna assume they will be 1 and BC will be 2 when the BCS comes out.

And S. Florida's resume isn't too bad at all. They beat Auburn in Auburn. That looks even more impressive since Auburn went into Florida and won a few weeks ago. They took down WVU when they were ranked #5. The rest of their schedule looked hard a few weeks ago but Louisville and Rutgers have shown to be highly overrated this year and Cincinnati just lost to Louisville.

It's almost as if none of these teams are really overrated. It's just that there is an extreme amount of parity right now in college football. Some of these 2nd tier teams have alot of talent and when you get a good coach, it adds up to hanging with the big boys.

PP
    Like I said, I'd take nothing away from what South Florida has done, and like in any sport, on any given night any team can beat another.

But, in a normal sport, where they'd have to compete thru the playoffs and win 3 games, I don't think they'd do it.

And neither would have Boise State last season.

And, in my opinion, having a playoff wouldn't take away from the lustor of the bowl upsets...I mean how many people give a damn that Valparaiso didn't win the national championship the year Drew knocked down that 3 to win the game? Or that the Warriors didn't win the NBA championship last year, nor the Nuggets in 1996 (was in 96 that they beat the Knicks? I hate the NBA).

If a team like South Florida, or Boise State, regardless of their resume, stepped in to the playoff and beat even ONE of those teams, they'd go down in history just the same. And if they won a national championship...well...

As for MD...anything in football, you can't use hindsight. Who's to say they'd have played as well against Rutgers if they had ended up beating Wake? It doesn't exist in a vacuum. Last year in basketball we lost to Miami at home (worst game...ever), and then cruised over a red hot Clemson team the next game...who's to say we cruise that game if we hadn't suffered thru adversity earlier that week?

Maryland, and god I love them, just isn't a great team...not a BCS caliber team, anyway. They're a team that belongs in bowl games like the Champs Sports Bowl right now. Nothing to be ashamed of. But they are a 8-4 type team, not a 10-2 type team, it's not 2003.

Ohio State will be #1 tomorrow, BC #2, USF #3

Ohio State have two tough games left it'd seem @UPS (only won 2 of their last 7 in Happy Valley I think) and @Michigan (recently got the best of the Maize and Blue, but still gonna be a tough game for them to come through, Michigan have rebounded well from that embarassing opener) means they've probably got the best opportunity to run the table, certainly benefited from thier schedule taking a year break between their home and home with Texas and their home and home with USC (I think it is, not sure).

BC have got an absolutely brutal run in and I can't see them getting through @VT, vsFSU, @MD, @Clem, vsMia(Fl) without a loss in there. A loss knocks BC out as I don't think an ACC schedule plus an OOC of Army, UMass, ND and BGSU is strong enough to put them up there.

Then that leaves just USF whose toughest remaining games are at Ruthers this Thursday, home to Cincy on Nov 3rd and home to Louisville (a shootout late in the season when the pressure's on could catch them).

USF vs Ohio State could be a good game but I don't think they're the best two teams in America, but then that doesn't matter, if they're undefeated and they make it, that's how it works.

The test for USF is that they've no experience of being this high and the pressure of having to hold a top 3 rank for 6 weeks. It's a test of the players to keep their foot on the gas and not look ahead and it's a test of the coaches to keep playing to win rather than playing not to lose. They're in the ideal conference to run the table, all on them to get it done.

It's been a great season for upsets this year, can't wait to see how it folds out.

Hopefully the Terps can run the table and get to a BCS bowl. :D

6. Re: OT College Football

UK......

We ain't just sittin' around waiting for basketball anymore. :) :)

I think it's amazing that South Florida could have an elite program so quickly, seeing as how they didn't even have a program that long ago. I also find it weird that they are called South Florida, when they are located in Tampa, which no one in Florida considers to be in south Florida. It's as dumb as having a college in Carroll County called Western Maryland, when everyone knows that is not western Maryland . . . never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by BertJonesMyHero View Post
    UK......

We ain't just sittin' around waiting for basketball anymore. :) :)
    Well this is true, bet you wish you could have that So Car game back right now. :(

SEC run in is gonna be great but as ever it looks like they're all gonna knock each other it.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    I think it's amazing that South Florida could have an elite program so quickly, seeing as how they didn't even have a program that long ago. I also find it weird that they are called South Florida, when they are located in Tampa, which no one in Florida considers to be in south Florida. It's as dumb as having a college in Carroll County called Western Maryland, when everyone knows that is not western Maryland . . . never mind.
    Not taking anything away from their program and how far they've come, but it helps when your academic requirements allow you take in players that even Florida State won't accept.