Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The Missing Pieces: How far away is your team from the superbowl

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/stor...uper-bowl-team

I found this <highly scientific> article to be entertaining. Particularly when scrolling down to see how many players the Redskins need.

As far as the Ravens go - this pretty much confirms what we already know. If Elam wasn't a bust and Jimmy Smith was playing- we'd be in the Superbowl <or if the balls weren't deflated>.

Edit: Just noticed that the 2 players are wearing #2 so we may just be two Tyrod Taylors away from the Superbowl.

Re: The Missing Pieces: How far away is your team from the superbowl

You can never have enough good players. However, health, focus, discipline, and team unity are the primary factors that will ultimately determine whether or not this team gets its third Lombardi! One thing is for certain, this team, UNDER HARBS LEADERSHIP, is one tough playoff team, as was demonstrated once again this year. They were focused and punched both the Steelers and the Patriots in the mouth, in their own stadiums. So long as this organization stays together, the Ravens will be a force for many years to come.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

First of all, they're going to put this together now? A lot of those players are DEFINITELY not going to be on their teams in 2015. The rosters aren't even close to being in a state where this analysis is truly possible.

Then of course there's the problem of how they rank each player as above average or not.

Joe Flacco is one of our players in the "AVERAGE" category? I don't know how anybody can think he's only an average quarterback at this point.

Because when most people do this kind of "analysis", they base it off of statistics, and statistically speaking, during the regular season, he is a middle of the road guy. That is the way the casual observer see's Flacco- He is paid too much for far too little production. He doesn't put up 4,000 yards and 35-40 TD's, why is he getting paid like he does? (That is not the way I think, that is the way THEY the casual observer, does)

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    Joe Flacco is one of our players in the "AVERAGE" category? I don't know how anybody can think he's only an average quarterback at this point.
    They used QBR BS.

Quote Originally Posted by KidSampson View Post
    They used QBR BS.
    We were one bounce of a deflated ball away.

In our case whiffing on Elam probably did us in as well.
    -"You are about to enter a world of pain."

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    First of all, they're going to put this together now? A lot of those players are DEFINITELY not going to be on their teams in 2015. The rosters aren't even close to being in a state where this analysis is truly possible.

Then of course there's the problem of how they rank each player as above average or not.

If he isn't "average" he is certainly not "elite".... so what is he?

One thing I'm happy about going into next season is the depth on the lines. We could probably use another OLB since Doom and Suggs aren't getting any younger, but other than that we can focus our draft on the big needs being receivers and defensive backs. I would love to get Devon Smith but I think he goes much earlier. Tight End, Wide Receiver, Safety, and Corner is where we need to upgrade and maybe we can find some of those guys through free agency, (particularly at corner?)
    "How do we know he is not Mel Tormé?"

Quote Originally Posted by winnipegraven View Post
    If he isn't "average" he is certainly not "elite".... so what is he?
    So now you are either average, worse than that, or elite? If that's the case, he is elite. The truth is more complicated than that of course, but if he can only be described as one of those three things, he is certainly closer to elite than he is average. Traditional passer statistics don't tell the whole story on how good Joe is.

I read Joe's grade and folded that window up real quick. Next.

Quote Originally Posted by KidSampson View Post
    They used QBR BS.
    If that were the case Flacco is elite. Flacco had the 8th best QBR in the regular season. In the playoffs he is currently 1st in QBR and he had the two highest QBRs of the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    If that were the case Flacco is elite. Flacco had the 8th best QBR in the regular season. In the playoffs he is currently 1st in QBR and he had the two highest QBRs of the playoffs.
    They used his QBR BS since 2012:

His playoff résumé is undeniable: Since 2012, Flacco's 84.9 postseason Total QBR ranks first among passers with at least three starts. That number dips to 53.2 in the regular season over the same span (18th overall).