Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: OT - Josh Gordon to miss 2015 season

From what I've heard from former drug addicts is they drink to replace the drugs. Maybe that is the case of Gordon at this point. Certainly wouldn't hurt him to seek counseling.

You are assuming they test in the morning which isn't necessarily the case... but if you are out drinking to 3am or 4am than 8am isn't that far off ( and especially if you have a chauffeur because you are rockin a DUI). . I don't want to get on anybody's shitlist over this but I just don't think that one failed test ( one that probably most of the people on this board would have failed at various times in their lives) means addiction. Fuckup != addiction. That being said none of us know for sure.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by walkingpneumonia View Post
    Addiction is a physiological and psychological phenomena. Programs are the first prescription your lawyer ( a doctor of sorts in only a Juris Doctor sort of way) prescribes when you are caught screwing up. Multiple offenses along the same vein don't necessarily prove addiction. Addiction is trivialized when you jump to unwarranted conclusions based on what you would have done if you were Josh Gordon He may well have a problem -- which doesn't make him an addict -- but to assume he is an addict based on multiple screw ups -- with different drugs even -- is unwarranted. Feel free to mark me down -- although I think negative 7 nines is as low as you can go.
    If I marked you down it would be for being an a-hole and assuming I would. You are free to disagree with me, you may have a degree in the field or maybe you know some classic definition, but the guy has a massive problem. You don't go pissing away millions of dollars with several chances without having a problem. Just my 2 cents.

That said, one screw up does not equal addiction, but several given the consequences does. If you show up in front of a judge with a several DUIs in this short of a span you will get tossed into jail and be required to go to rehab. He is avoiding prison only because law enforcement has been, for the most part, not the ones catching him. Several screw ups in a row does indicate the guy has a problem.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

You are assuming they test in the morning which isn't necessarily the case... but if you are out drinking to 3am or 4am than 8am isn't that far off ( and especially if you have a chauffeur because you are rockin a DUI). . I don't want to get on anybody's shitlist over this but I just don't think that one failed test ( one that probably most of the people on this board would have failed at various times in their lives) means addiction. Fuckup != addiction. That being said none of us know for sure.
    LOL, I don't think you know Gordon's history. He had SEVERAL fails in college, a good number in the NFL, a DUI outside of the program and now a failed test for alcohol. He is probably nearing double digits in times caught and his college and NFL careers span, what, 5-6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    If I marked you down it would be for being an a-hole and assuming I would. You are free to disagree with me, you may have a degree in the field or maybe you know some classic definition, but the guy has a massive problem. You don't go pissing away millions of dollars with several chances without having a problem. Just my 2 cents.

That said, one screw up does not equal addiction, but several given the consequences does. If you show up in front of a judge with a several DUIs in this short of a span you will get tossed into jail and be required to go to rehab. He is avoiding prison only because law enforcement has been, for the most part, not the ones catching him. Several screw ups in a row does indicate the guy has a problem.
    Actually I was poking fun at someone who did mark me down for that apparently -- sorry if it caused confusion or you took it that way -- it was not my intention. I got his history off wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Gordon -- not the best source but not the worst -- but it did list a couple pot infractions and one DUI I don't have a degree in the field and don't really know the "classical" definition. I do know what it is like to live with and deal with addicts. He may or may not be, but based on the media I don't think you can say one way or the other. My only assertion was that based on what I know that while he may be an addict he is not necessarily so and that any conclusion in that regard is jumping the gun. If you look at my comments you will see that I am not an asshole other than the occasional bad joke or two. Sorry to leave that impression.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Irish-
    I kinda laughed when I saw your thread title, the first thought that entered my mind was - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiIPS_kF4J4 ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Alcohol? the body burns an ounce an hour
    You have a glass or two or three of wine at dinner it is gone by the next morning
    I assume the drug testers don't turn up at your door at night....
    So to fail a drug test he had to be consuming extremely heavily late night before, or had consumed in the morning before he walked in and was pulled aside for a drug test... this isn't a drug that turns up 3 to 5 days later....
    Just would like to point something out. I am not sure if the nfl uses these or not, but they do have urine tests that test for metabolites that come when drinking alcohol. These stay in your system much longer. So just saying that maybe the nfl uses those tests.

Etg tests they are called.

Still not enough to say addict. If you have first hand experience with an addict then maybe you can speak to it. It shouldn't be trivialized by calling young and stupid addiction. Interesting how my "karma" meter or whatever that is went straight to -9999999 based on that one comment alone. Was it really so negative or non-productive? If you don't think my comment was relevant than you should say so, or offer proof otherwise. Educate me. I certainly didn't express it in a negative way and I would be happy to talk with you offline about what a clusterfuck real addiction is. Josh Gordon has been an f@#$%-up in the past through the present. That doesn't make him an addict. All I was advocating for is a careful use of terms.
    I do.

He's a classic, textbook addict.

Addiction is a physiological and psychological phenomena. Programs are the first prescription your lawyer ( a doctor of sorts in only a Juris Doctor sort of way) prescribes when you are caught screwing up. Multiple offenses along the same vein don't necessarily prove addiction. Addiction is trivialized when you jump to unwarranted conclusions based on what you would have done if you were Josh Gordon He may well have a problem -- which doesn't make him an addict -- but to assume he is an addict based on multiple screw ups -- with different drugs even -- is unwarranted. Feel free to mark me down -- although I think negative 7 nines is as low as you can go.
    Wtf are you talking about?!?!

I get drunk every Saturday night. Does that make me an addict?