Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries

Re: What Happens With Haloti?

Quote Originally Posted by 13ravenfan View Post
    Saw an interesting piece over the weekend on NFLN. It was a show about Bill Walsh. He was known for parting ways with a player one year before he "had to". In other words, don't keep players around too long out of loyalty. They must earn their spot every year with their play and practice, NOT their reputation. There were a lot of players who hated him at the time for being forced out but then looked back and saw the reasons later.

I'm sure the Ravens will make the right choices in the off season. #InOzWeTrust
    Sometimes Walsh let guys go many years too early. Ronnie Lott and Tom Rathman are the ones I always remember.

It's unpleasant to bring this up but I'm not sure if it has been addressed...

There's no question Ngata has underperformed his contract over the last few years--he was still good, but only good, not great, and good-but-not-great players shouldn't be the #2 highest paid players at their position. Part of that was due to ever-present injuries starting in 2011. There's also no question Ngata is coming off his best and healthiest year in a long time. But how much of that was due to PED use, knowing that this year was his last chance to prove he deserved one last big contract? Ngata knew this was basically a contract year for him. Is the year we just saw representative of what we're going to get if we extend him, or just a product of the PEDs?

I'm not a huge fan of extending players over 30 who play high wear-and-tear positions like the DL. I didn't really like the Suggs extension, so it's hard for me to like a similar Ngata extension at all, especially given the additional question marks.

Don't worry about Ngata, he buys out Royal farms and lives happily ever after eating chicken.
    Meanwhile the Ravens move on with younger players and absorb the cap hit. Rice , pitta and ngata cost the ravens big this year, but ravens survive. Ravens still in rebuilding mode.

I'd rather let a player go a little early...especially when you have quality depth at that spot...than hold on too long.

That extra $4 million or so we'd get back in cap space by cutting him as opposed to keeping him is VERY enticing to me and IMHO, that extra cap space is more valuable to the long term success of the team than keeping him.

Just MHO...I know others won't agree. I just don't tend to be so attached to players.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Indy would make a lot of sense for Ngata. He plays next to Arthur Jones again and maybe Corey Redding who could come back in a situational role. Josh Chapman is a big body in the middle so Ngata wouldn't have to play the nose. If Ngata rejects the Ravens offer Indy could be a team that reaches out right away to sign him.
    Indy would make sense but they are not going to get where they need to be with Ravens castoffs....
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Sometimes Walsh let guys go many years too early. Ronnie Lott and Tom Rathman are the ones I always remember.
    Eh...Lott had one Pro Bowl type year left after he was gone. His last 3 years were pretty forgettable.

Rathman only played one more season.

That's pretty much the ideal "letting a guy a year too early instead of a year too late".
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of extending players over 30 who play high wear-and-tear positions like the DL. I didn't really like the Suggs extension, so it's hard for me to like a similar Ngata extension at all, especially given the additional question marks.
    The extension for Suggs is exactly what would need to happen with Haloti except for 3 years, not 4. If Suggs has 2 decent years left, his contract doesn't look bad. You'd hope to get the same from Ngata.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    It's unpleasant to bring this up but I'm not sure if it has been addressed...

There's no question Ngata has underperformed his contract over the last few years--he was still good, but only good, not great, and good-but-not-great players shouldn't be the #2 highest paid players at their position. Part of that was due to ever-present injuries starting in 2011. There's also no question Ngata is coming off his best and healthiest year in a long time. But how much of that was due to PED use, knowing that this year was his last chance to prove he deserved one last big contract? Ngata knew this was basically a contract year for him. Is the year we just saw representative of what we're going to get if we extend him, or just a product of the PEDs?

I would like this one a bit more than the Suggs extension. Suggs played well this year but I don't see the guys for a rotation with him and therefore see him getting worn down next season and the year after. Why I am ok with doing with Ngata is that if he is put in a rotation that preserves his health he could still be dominant. Limiting his snaps so that he is not worn down come playoffs would be ideal. With the young guys on the team I could really see them being able to do that. If hey could get is extension down to 6m a year for 3 years I would be on board with doing that. 9m signing bonus and 3m a year.

Jason Hatcher received a similar contract with the Skins last year. it was 4 years 28m but he will never see the 7.5m salary in year 4. May not even see the 6.5m base in year 3.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Indy would make sense but they are not going to get where they need to be with Ravens castoffs....
    It doesn't matter where they get the players from. They have been filing in a lot of holes on that defense via free agency because they just haven't been able to draft many good defensive players. Ngata makes that defense a lot better and they have the cap space. I doubt they count former Ravens and say they have too many to sign him.

It doesn't matter where they get the players from. They have been filing in a lot of holes on that defense via free agency because they just haven't been able to draft many good defensive players. Ngata makes that defense a lot better and they have the cap space. I doubt they count former Ravens and say they have too many to sign him.
    Both ex Ravens on their DL were exposed by NE ...I don't think Ngata adds much.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Indy would make a lot of sense for Ngata. He plays next to Arthur Jones again and maybe Corey Redding who could come back in a situational role. Josh Chapman is a big body in the middle so Ngata wouldn't have to play the nose. If Ngata rejects the Ravens offer Indy could be a team that reaches out right away to sign him.
    Trade him to Indy. If Trent Richardson got a 1st , Ngata should get two 1st rounders :-). LOL