Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Boller is Starting Sunday

You are right is YPA is higher because we have no problem moving the ball between the 20's, but that is not the point and that stat really doesn't matter, the only stat the really matters is redzone score which inturn result in wins. Mcnair is a good QB when he is healthy, but until then Boller is the better option to get us in the endzone, which will help us win and not win 9-7
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco

Look, I think McNair's days as an upper echelon QB are done. It just happens when you get "old" in the NFL. I dont look at it as a knock on McNair's past or what he used to be able to do. He just can't do it anymore. News Flash: it happens to everyone.......apparently except Brett Favre.

That said, I'm containing my excitement until I see D-Will fly down the sideline and catch a 40 yard pass. I'll wait until I see Heap or Mason in the back of the endzone catch a touchdown. THEN I'll be excited.

Stinger I couldn't agree with you more, Mcnair was great in Tenn, and he could still be real good if he just rests and gets healthy. If he just sits the next 2 weeks and the bye he could be completly ready to go against Pitt, and we need a healthy QB for that game as it is always a dog fight

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco

Good to see boller getting in there again I think he has the better arm hopefully they use it

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Whatever gives this team the best chance to win,I go with.

And right now I say Boller gives the passing game a bit more zip and aggressiveness downfield.That's if the offense is set up to take advantage of this.

With the amount of damage McNairs body has taken,I can understand why he is degrading.Throw in the groin and lower back pain,and Steve has to suck up his pride,and see that sitting on the bench is the best for the team right now.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

GO KB !!!

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    All of this is true...but not in his first 4 starts. Actually, not until after the bye week.

17/27 181 against Tampa
    16/33 143 against Oakland (his long in this game, 30 yards, was a dump off to Musa).
    23/41 261 against Cleveland
    17/30 158 against San Diego

The next two were Carolina, which he didn't play, and Denver, which...well...I'll just leave that one out.

The point being...our passing game didn't really open up until about week 9 last year, for whatever reason. Yes, he completed long passes...against Pitt, Tennessee, and Kansas City.

No, he never really threw down field early on, though. His YPA is actually higher this year than it was at this point last season.

If you want to blame the play on a slow start, fine. I choose to blame it on the fact that he really only had 4 pretty good games all season last year, and a bunch that were just...not bad, which is all we needed.

At this point...he is what he is. As the season rolls on, he may just be what we need. Right now, it doesn't look that way...he is very limited...
    Dude, take your blinders off.

We're talking about the way he looks on the field.

It's not about the stats, it's about looking at a guy who doesn't look the same as he did last year.

He's CLEARLY not 100% and it's easy to see.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    His passes look exactly how they looked last year, though. Seriously, go back and watch a game from last year, you'll see it.
    I'll agree that the velocity and direction (checkdowns) of his passes are pretty much the same, but his accuracy is not. He is sailing, underthrowing and late on too many of his passes. His injury may only cause him to be off on 3-7 passes, but that is still too much when you factor in other incidental offensive issues. Even the passes that he completes are affected, if he could get it there a split second faster or in a better spot the receiver might be able to do more with it after he catches it. Considering that they play a short passing game that constantly just takes what the defense allows they have to consistently continue to move the ball or they get into bad down and distance situations that the offense isn't able to convert.

Good Luck to Boller, hopefully he'll play well this week and also get the start next week. I don't want there to be a controversy with Boller and McNair, because we will need McNair at the helm for those big games down the stretch but we also need him to be healthy for those games.
    Last edited by skimmy; 10-13-2007 at 12:33 PM.

On the issue of whether or not McNair looks the same as last season, I don't think so, but I don't know if that's because he's not healthy or if it's because he's just wearing down. That's an important difference, because if it's because he's injured, then he could presumably return to some semblance of his old form if he gets healthy. If he's just losing it due to wear and tear, then returning to his old self is pretty much not going to happen.

And while I hope Boller starts Sunday, I'm not taking it for granted. It would not shock me if McNair starts, even after missing two practices.

But Mcnair's "wear and tear" is directly related to the amount of injuries he has had over the last 8 or 9 years. When we signed him he was not the same QB we were used to seeing on the field. He will NEVER be the same. He was not the greatest QB we have ever seen last year, to be honest it was like watching Dilfer out there, it was a vet who knew how to manage the game. The Air Mcnair we were hoping to get died years ago when he sustained his 101st injury. I really hope that Mcnair has helped Boller enough to make him a decent QB now, because all he really needed was a true vet to teach him and that is why we really signed Mcnair.

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco

I can't wait to read what the media and you all write about if Kyle plays. Whether he does terribly or has a great game it's certainly going to cause some kind of chatter. We just need to accept that we will always have a QB controversy while Billick is the coach.

Like what was mentioned on the other board, this board will explode as well regardless of the kind of game Boller has.

Here's to hoping its a good one!!
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello